Main characters only have a mother. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main characters only have a mother.

Default Re: Main characters only have a mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinqe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    I like to think that Green is Red's sister. That's why they live in the same house (I know in the manga they're not related but I'm saying in the games not the manga).
    In the games, Green and Blue are the same character - and he's male. I refer of course to the Generation I champion, the game counterpart of Gary Oak.
    No, I'm talking about Green not Blue.
    I looked it up on Bulbapedia, and Green appears to always be connected to Blue in the games. Who is Green in the games?
    That's two different "Green"s.
    The first "Green" is the Japanese name for the rival / Gary character (who is known in the localizations as "Blue").
    The second "Green" is the English name for the female character from the Pokémon Adventures manga who has never appeared in any of the games, although she may have influenced the design of Leaf (the female playable character in FiredRed / LeafGreen) and some people think that she may have originally been planned as a playable character in the original Red and Green Versions but the idea was never implemented.
    Either way, I don't consider them to be the same character since they have completely different backgrounds and stories.

Green is what I call the girl commonly referred to as "Leaf".

I refuse to call her Leaf though as it is a stupid name.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Well, in the Anime the only time they really mentioned Ash's father was when Ash got to Viridian City.
    Ash's mom: Wow! Your father never made it this far!

So I'm assuming that his father if he has even a quarter of Ash's determination but couldn't cut it as a trainer, left the family in shame. I mean I think it hinted that Delia and Professor Oak might have a romantic spark between them meaning she is divorced. But then again he's 30 years her senior.

As for the games, your character is always the "Best trainer ever" training is in your blood, so it makes sense that their fathers (Except for Birch) is off on his own journey. If anything that's probably what motivated your characters in the first place.

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

There's honestly no point. The mom already does everything you need to do in the beginning, so why waste time making another useless character?

needs a new avatar Shiny Staraptor's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    There's honestly no point. The mom already does everything you need to do in the beginning, so why waste time making another useless character?
    There are already hundreds of NPCs who a lot of people deem useless. Maybe they are useless, but I think they do a good job of filling the background. A father would help to complete the scene.

Also, in DPPt, if you talk to your mother in Twinleaf Town she says you start to look like your father (if you play as Lucas anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by Neoflare
    star i have your eevee
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Yagami
    IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN, COME TO ... AVENUE
    Y Friend Code: 2578-3150-3027

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

There's TONS of stuff your dad could do in the games, he could be a famous trainer that you can battle later on (not necessarily a GL or E4), the daycare owner, that region's fill-in for Bill, A contest master (or whatever subplot/minigame the generation has), A breeder, a teacher at the pokémon school they have each generation, a student there, perhaps, or just a sad gambler...

Quote Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
    There's TONS of stuff your dad could do in the games, he could be a famous trainer that you can battle later on (not necessarily a GL or E4), the daycare owner, that region's fill-in for Bill, A contest master (or whatever subplot/minigame the generation has), A breeder, a teacher at the pokémon school they have each generation, a student there, perhaps, or just a sad gambler...
    He's a Bug Catcher, lol. Ash's father wasn't able to make it past Pewter City and he was too ashamed to return home, so he's been hanging out in the Viridian Forest catching bugs his whole life. And even after all those years of training them, his bugs are still only about level 5 or 6.

On the other hand, Red's father is the president of Silph Co. That's why he's never around — he's too busy running his company. You do get to save his life though...

it obvious their father died

Mix of the Ice Type
    Palermo as a person, but GaiaBurgh as a mix. Palmita is from the Pixie Town.

First gen: Red and Leaf's father went on a journey and is currently the champion\E4\high ranking GL of a far away region. Or maybe he's just a simple travelling trainer. (both in the game and Ash's father in the anime would be the anime version of said trainer.)

Second gen: Gold and Kris are not biologically related, but were adopted by the same woman for economical-based-ish reasons.

Third gen: Norman is May's father. Of course he is. Who else it could be?*

Fourth gen: Dawn s' mother might be the very human Johanna, but she's actually an half-breed with a Mr. Mime father. (in the anime) Lucas once used Dialga to go back to the past, where he had a fling with an younger Johanna because of destiny. So Lucas is actually Dawn's father. (in the game)

Fifth gen (2005-ish Unova): Hilbert and Hilda are twins. Their dad is actually the dude that's always raving about technology at the front of their house.

Fifth gen (2007-ish Unova): Nate and Rosa are "twins" just like Hilbert and Hilda. Nate was actually born from the ideals within Hilda's heart, and Rosa was actually born from the truth within Hilbert's heart. They were found by an ex-Pokècenter nurse at her doorstep. They still consider themselves twins even after they discovered their strange birth circostances which may actually make them first cousins.

Sixth gen: Serena's dad was sent flying by Grace's Rhyhorn. And possibly died.

(So there were 2 adoptions, 1 widow, 1 time-travel\interspecies conception, 2 marriages but not living together due to the husband's league position\job, and 1 unmarried couple.)

*actually if Brendan is the playable and May is the rival, Brendan is Norman's kid and May is Birch's kid.

If I know RPGs like I think I do, most of the time, you only have a mother. As annoying as that is, that's just how it goes.

Registered User Pokémon Spectrum's Avatar

I personally never really thought about it. I do wish that they'd mix things up a bit at some point and make it so that it's the character's dad instead of the mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chespingamer26 View Post
    Well, in the Anime the only time they really mentioned Ash's father was when Ash got to Viridian City.
    Ash's mom: Wow! Your father never made it this far!
    Actually, she commented on how quickly Ash got to Viridian City compared to how long it took his father to get there. Unless you're referring to the original Japanese version, in which case she was talking about his grandfather, not his dad.
    I was born to be a winner... but I'll settle for being an ordinary Trainer.

Ragin' Cajun Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Maybe instead of a dad, we could see the character's other mom :P

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaBaraonda View Post
    Their dad is actually the dude that's always raving about technology at the front of their house.
    Now there's an interesting theory....

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    it obvious their father died
    Only in XD: Gale of Darkness. In all other incarnations of the Pokemon series (save RSE) the subject of the main character's father never comes up. It's as if no such person ever existed to begin with.

Compare Pixar's Toy Story -- we know that Andy has a mother and a little sister, but not only do we never see a father, we never see any traces of him having a father. No family pictures or anything. Almost as if (fan theory follows) his parents got divorced and Mom threw all that stuff out.

Oh, and not only is XD the one to explicitly mention that the character did have a father, but the character also has a little sister.
    Game: "Would you like to give a nickname to the newly hatched [Pokémon]?"
    Trevor: "You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    XY Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210 (feel free to add me before asking, it saves time)

Blog Entries

I think it's done because it's not really necessary to show the player character's entire family, so one relative is enough.

However, fan fiction allows you to create family for them. I've given fathers to Calem, Serena, Nate, and Hilbert. Still, fan fiction isn't canon...
    DO YOU RENOUNCE ICE CUBE AND ALL HIS WORKS INCLUDING FRIDAY? - Winston Jerome

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

I think they should implement fathers as your bankers like Mom in G/S/C/HG/SS was and keep Mom as the healer. Because Dad is mentioned in Kalos, in Unova, Sinnoh and I think even Kanto so I think it's utterly stupid for all of your characters to have both parents, but Dad is apparently away forever. Even in Hoenn, Norman is in his gym 24/7. So... What is up with these dads LIVING at their jobs?
    Last edited by BlackButterfree; 1st June 2014 at 06:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12