Main characters only have a mother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Main characters only have a mother.

Question Main characters only have a mother.

In most of the main series(with the exception of Ruby,Sapphire and Emerald versions), every main character(both ,male and female) only have a mother and she makes up their entire family, no siblings, no father, and no extended family(like cousins, uncles&aunts etc.) or even Grandparents(the mother doesn't even have a mother), why do you think this is? Any theories? :)

Not criticizing it or complaining about it, just asking :D

One of my theories is that the some of the members of Gamefreak grew up with only a mother and as only-child, but then why no extended family? :)

EDIT: If the mother is only there to play the roles of healing and saving money, what other role do you think she could play?

I have an idea, what if she were to install a healing machine(like the ones used in Pokemon Centers) and an ATM machine for you to deposit and withdraw money in your house, then she goes to train and becomes the Champion of the region when you reach the League, near the end of the game :D
    Last edited by AntJR; 10th November 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Default Re: Main characters only have a mother.

It could be a reference to the fact that the "young male hero" character in a lot of RPGs (and some anime) usually only have a single parent which is usually the mother. I read that on a list of RPG clichés but it's true...
    Another cliché is that the hero oversleeps and is late to start his journey, which is exactly what happened in the first episode of the anime.

Anyway, it is implied that Red and Ash both have fathers who are just away from home (long-term). Not sure why Game Freak chose to do it this way though...
    Owain likes this.

Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Anyway, it is implied that Red and Ash both have fathers who are just away from home (long-term). Not sure why Game Freak chose to do it this way though...
    Interesting that this is brought up; if anyone remembers Earthbound at all, Ape Inc. (one of the teams on hand with the game) was what would become Creatures, Inc. in the current day and age. What happens in Earthbound?
    Ness gets homesick from time to time, and needs to call his father on a phone somewhere to be able to continue without problems.
    I'm guessing Game Freak might not have wanted this to be a liability of some sort that could affect gameplay so much to the point of drawing attention away from the main adventure at hand, considering the intended gameplay audience. Just imagine if the trainer got homesick and he was stuck on the Plasma Frigate battling Team Plasma Grunts left and right...that wouldn't bode well, I don't think.
    Owain likes this.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

Well, they could have just had the father in there but not made it into a gameplay element. Maybe used him as a minor NPC living in your house at all times with your mother. Then again, that would be pretty pointless because he'd basically have no role... at least your mother is used to heal you and store money / buy gifts (in Gold / Silver / Crystal). I guess they could have made him do something, but then again, it's probably just too much / not needed. Very few of the houses in any of the games ever have two adults living in them... and when they do it's always an old couple. The only exception to this (if I'm remembering correctly) is Copycat who lives with both of her parents.

Or we could just go with the creepypasta and say that Red's father died in the war or is off fighting in the war or whatever...
    or that old fan theory that the father actually is in the game / anime and he is Giovanni, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker Jirachi View Post
    Interesting that this is brought up; if anyone remembers Earthbound at all, Ape Inc. (one of the teams on hand with the game) was what would become Creatures, Inc. in the current day and age. What happens in Earthbound?
    Ness gets homesick from time to time, and needs to call his father on a phone somewhere to be able to continue without problems.
    I'm guessing Game Freak might not have wanted this to be a liability of some sort that could affect gameplay so much to the point of drawing attention away from the main adventure at hand, considering the intended gameplay audience. Just imagine if the trainer got homesick and he was stuck on the Plasma Frigate battling Team Plasma Grunts left and right...that wouldn't bode well, I don't think.
    I was waiting for someone to bring that up, I think it might have been a reference to Ness' father too. I see why Gamefreak wouldn't have wanted their main character to become homesick like Ness, it definitely would've been seriously inconvenient in that situation you mentioned, cause you cant leave the ship, using a telephone and having your father save the game(like in earthbound) would've been cool though, but the "saving from the start menu" is more convenient I guess, lol :D

It could be a reference to the fact that the "young male hero" character in a lot of RPGs (and some anime) usually only have a single parent which is usually the mother. I read that on a list of RPG clichés but it's true...
    Another cliché is that the hero oversleeps and is late to start his journey, which is exactly what happened in the first episode of the anime.
    Just using a very common element of RPGs and anime? that might be a possibility :)

Well, they could have just had the father in there but not made it into a gameplay element. Maybe used him as a minor NPC living in your house at all times with your mother. Then again, that would be pretty pointless because he'd basically have no role... at least your mother is used to heal you and store money / buy gifts (in Gold / Silver / Crystal). I guess they could have made him do something, but then again, it's probably just too much / not needed. Very few of the houses in any of the games ever have two adults living in them... and when they do it's always an old couple. The only exception to this (if I'm remembering correctly) is Copycat who lives with both of her parents.

Or we could just go with the creepypasta and say that Red's father died in the war or is off fighting in the war or whatever...
    or that old fan theory that the father actually is in the game / anime and he is Giovanni, lol
    If there were a dad character, I wouldnt mind him as an NPC, but maybe they could try to do more of what they did in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, like how Norman(May/Brendan's father) is a Gym Leader. In one game, they could try to make one of your relatives an Elite Four member, or maybe even the CHAMPION of the region. Or how about if in one region, your family is SO good at Pokemon training, that all 8 Gym Leaders are ALL your relatives, I think that would be awesome! :D

You know, I never noticed that there werent more than two adults in most of the houses, thats kind of weird. Oh, I remember the theory that Giovanni is Ash's father, they really look alike; I still really want that to happen! :D

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    I like to think that Green is Red's sister. That's why they live in the same house (I know in the manga they're not related but I'm saying in the games not the manga).
    I never thought about that before :)

Anyways, I think it's because the main character is essentially you in a sense. They don't want to show too many family members of yours because it might pull you out of the experience of this character being you.
    Oh I see, they assume most people still have a mother, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nick15 View Post
    I always subscribed to the idea that the world of Pokemon wasn't THE world of Pokemon, just that which was relevant to the player's immediate goals. As such, Dad, Grandparents, extended family... because they don't help you catch Pokemon, they simply don't exist in-game.

Well... it made sense to me....
    That makes alot of sense :D
    If this version of the world of Pokemon is only centered around what is relevant to the player's goals, then I think Gamefreak should also expand on that and include some customization features, like in The Sims and Sim City, where you can format the world as in deleting/adding buildings in towns/cities and deleting/adding humans from locations, that'd be awesome! :D

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Well, we at least know H/H's father is somewhere. oAo He bought that fancy flat-screen for them after all.
    By " H/H " are your referring to Hilbert and hilda(the main characters from Black&White1)? And there was a mention of their father in those games? I didnt notice that :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    And if he's talking about Leaf, she doesn't technically exist in canon.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure what happened is that your father in each of the games is away on international business in the high-stakes world of industrial robot salesmanship, and your mother stays at home and is a good little wife plays the stock market. So he's just missing like Ness' father, not actually dead or training.
    If its like that, I'd like to be able to go to the company where you meet him(Silph Co, Devon corp etc.) and have a conversation with him :D
    Last edited by AntJR; 17th November 2012 at 03:03 PM.

hi

I like to think that Green is Red's sister. That's why they live in the same house (I know in the manga they're not related but I'm saying in the games not the manga).

Anyways, I think it's because the main character is essentially you in a sense. They don't want to show too many family members of yours because it might pull you out of the experience of this character being you. That's also the reason why all the player characters are silent protagonists, if they talked more it would lessen the sense that they have your personality.
    They only have family characters in when they have some role to play. Like the mother character in the first games is there because they needed some way to heal you in Pallet Town. In other generations the mothers fulfill other roles like storing your money or challenging you at Pokemon contests, etc.
    Heck, the only reason you have a father in R/S/E is because he's a gym leader and they couldn't give that role to your mother because she needs to stay in Littleroot so she can heal you.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Old Fart Fake Card Master Nick15's Avatar

I always subscribed to the idea that the world of Pokemon wasn't THE world of Pokemon, just that which was relevant to the player's immediate goals. As such, Dad, Grandparents, extended family... because they don't help you catch Pokemon, they simply don't exist in-game.

Well... it made sense to me....
    Owain likes this.
    Hi! Nice to meet'cha!
    * http://www.fakecard.com/ - FakeCard.com, my old Pokémon website. Find out what else I'm doing by going there first. ;)

Well, we at least know H/H's father is somewhere. oAo He bought that fancy flat-screen for them after all.
    Owain likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

In the games, Green and Blue are the same character - and he's male. I refer of course to the Generation I champion, the game counterpart of Gary Oak.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

And if he's talking about Leaf, she doesn't technically exist in canon.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure what happened is that your father in each of the games is away on international business in the high-stakes world of industrial robot salesmanship, and your mother stays at home and is a good little wife plays the stock market. So he's just missing like Ness' father, not actually dead or training.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    In the games, Green and Blue are the same character - and he's male. I refer of course to the Generation I champion, the game counterpart of Gary Oak.
    No, I'm talking about Green not Blue.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Many manga/games/anime don't feature the main character's father much unless he's an important person story-wise. The mother is usually there to do the 'healing' and talking, handling your money, and calling you on the Xtranceiver from time to time. Someone who represents 'home'. She worries about you 24/7 and will always be lovingly caring.

Fathers are usually 'huge' beings to begin with. In a shounen products' view, fathers are people who the sons have to 'conquer' at some point. I know in R/S/E that your PC can be of either gender, but let's take a look at Pokemon Adventures. Ruby's (the male PC) father was Norman, and there was a time when Ruby had to challenge to overcome his father - in other words, prove himself that he is capable.

This can also be noted in the Match Calls where you can call your Mom and Dad (Norman). They say different things in a completely different atmosphere. Your mother is more cheery and happy about your calls, and goes oooh and aaaah over where you traveled up to so far. She doesn't hesitate to chat. However, Norman states that he's watching you (the PC) grow up with the realization that you'd leave their side someday to fly higher and higher away. This may be just Norman, but to me, I think this was rather touching.

Oh and yeah - the mother in BW is said to have met her husband during his travels, so while it is implied that the father exists, he doesn't play an important role. Thus, he doesn't appear as an NPC.

That's just what I think

The only exception to this (if I'm remembering correctly) is Copycat who lives with both of her parents.
    If I'm not mistaken, Wally also lives with both of his parents and he also has an uncle and an aunt, and even a cousin (Wanda).

I guess there is just no point in adding other family members, they wouldn't do much for the storyline. Hell, the mother hardly does anything to the storyline besides wake you up and get the story started, usually with the whole, "Professor X wants to see you."; other than getting the ball rolling they don't do much else besides become a personal ATM (which is kinda good?).
    Last edited by Glaziola; 25th December 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: I a word
    Setra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No, I'm talking about Green not Blue.
    I looked it up on Bulbapedia, and Green appears to always be connected to Blue in the games. Who is Green in the games?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast