Lost Respect For Pokemon - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Lost Respect For Pokemon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lost Respect For Pokemon

I may lose some of the respect I have for the franchise (or at least stop playing new games) if...

...they create more and more fanservice-y characters like Skyla, Elesa or even Marlon.
    ...they put romance and pointless aspects like this in the future games.
    ...they change everything in the next games to ugly 3D environments like in some spin-off games for consoles.
    ...they start selling new Pokémon via DLC. I would probably keep playing the games, but I would lose the respect I always had for Game Freak.

Yep, that is all.
    Ops, wait, there is something else:

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    If they made Pokemon into a MMORPG. Then I would really quit.
    And this.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

If they started caring about what the complainers say.

I can live through pointless form changes
    I can live through oversimplified Pokémon designs like Gen I
    I can even live with annoying people dissing new Pokémon

But I could not bear if the games sacrificed their style and originality to appease peope who don't even seem to like the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    If GF is starting to listen to the complainers, who make the games look controversial in the first place (like they've done to Gen V), whether it's from here or on SPPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalzoe View Post
    make another Fire/Fighting starter
    It was needed to get passed the first few gyms and to resist Stealth Rock in competitive battles, which is why Charizard and Typhlosion are in the low tiers.
    i dont care its repetitive and annoying that we have three now Charizard is only low tier because its horrific typing and typhosion just sucks to begin with

it was fine with blaziken now infernape and emboar

Do you complain about all the Normal/Flying types? No. So don't complain about THREE Firefighters.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PellOfTheTundra View Post
    Do you complain about all the Normal/Flying types? No. So don't complain about THREE Firefighters.
    One can ignore normal/flying but fire/fighting is used on starters. Which means that if you want to start with a fire mon, you will be stuck with a fire/fighting mon. Obviously starters are going to have a lot more attention than a regional bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At no point does the game force you to take a Normal/Flying regional bird, but Fire/Fighting Starters are thrust upon you. I don't think anybody would have a problem with more Fire/Fighting Pokemon as long as they weren't Starters.
    Owain, Enzap and Green Zubat like this.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

if they never bring back the "walking pokemon" from soulsilver, we need more social interactions with our pokemon..but yeah they also should keep that awesome battle system
    and i can't think of much else that would make me loose respect, they've been improving their games by each generation.

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

Am I the only one that thinks an MMO for Pokemon would be awesome? Okay, guess so. And I also like the 'ugly' 3D enviroments from Pokemon Colosseum and XD.

I would lose respect if they had another fire fighting starter like many people said.
    Hedface likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by King Maggot View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks an MMO for Pokemon would be awesome? Okay, guess so. And I also like the 'ugly' 3D enviroments from Pokemon Colosseum and XD.

I would lose respect if they had another fire fighting starter like many people said.
    No, you're not alone, but what I think people mean is transforming the main game into an MMO, if we had a separate one, chances are, it would be a success.

Here's my problem with the whole argument against Fire/Fighting starters: Most people see it as an unoriginality issue. What we're dealing with is a type that is three things that game designers love:

1. Easily Balancable - because who wants to make a starter trio that revolves around Fire/Ghost?
    2. Easily Designable - I could draw up 19 sketches for firefighters within the hour.
    3. Easily Usable - The more people that can play their game, the more people they get to buy!

I am a game design student in my second quarter, going into third, and all of these things are extremely important to anyone designing a game like this. I don't think it should be an unoriginality issue, it should be a repetitiveness issue. I'd be willing to bet that if this were 7th Generation, and the order of Fire starters went Fire/Flying - Fire - Fire/Fighting - Fire -Fire/Fighting - Fire/Ghost - Fire/Fighting, No one would be complaining about the Fire/Fighting types. The only mistake they had is putting too many in a row. They could have done that better, but can you blame them? It's hard to keep coming up with new pokemon, and Fire/Fighting are all three of those things above. If you think about it, the only time they really messed up the balance was in DPP, and that's why a lot of people hated those starters: They were unbalanced. Every type, at its final evolutionary stage, could counter the other two: Empoleon being the odd one out, being completely destroyed by both Infernape and Torterra. Torterra was able to use ground and rock moves to defeat Infernape, and both dual STABs from it defeated Empoleon. Infernape's Fighting STAB could demolish Empoleon, and Fire could demolish Torterra. Empoleon simply had the inferior type, being unable to effectively kill either before being killed.

In short, from a game designer's standpoint, having three Firefighters might not be popular, but it's easiest, which is important when designing a game, because a company is CONSTANTLY up your a** drilling you to finish. These days, a game company wants a good game done in 15 months. Fifteen months isn't near enough to test every combination for starters, as well as code an entire game and come up with a good scenario. You have to think about it from their standpoint.

Blog Entries

Here's my problem with the whole argument against Fire/Fighting starters: Most people see it as an unoriginality issue. What we're dealing with is a type that is three things that game designers love:

1. Easily Balancable - because who wants to make a starter trio that revolves around Fire/Ghost?
    2. Easily Designable - I could draw up 19 sketches for firefighters within the hour.
    3. Easily Usable - The more people that can play their game, the more people they get to buy!

I am a game design student in my second quarter, going into third, and all of these things are extremely important to anyone designing a game like this. I don't think it should be an unoriginality issue, it should be a repetitiveness issue. I'd be willing to bet that if this were 7th Generation, and the order of Fire starters went Fire/Flying - Fire - Fire/Fighting - Fire -Fire/Fighting - Fire/Ghost - Fire/Fighting, No one would be complaining about the Fire/Fighting types. The only mistake they had is putting too many in a row. They could have done that better, but can you blame them? It's hard to keep coming up with new pokemon, and Fire/Fighting are all three of those things above. If you think about it, the only time they really messed up the balance was in DPP, and that's why a lot of people hated those starters: They were unbalanced. Every type, at its final evolutionary stage, could counter the other two: Empoleon being the odd one out, being completely destroyed by both Infernape and Torterra. Torterra was able to use ground and rock moves to defeat Infernape, and both dual STABs from it defeated Empoleon. Infernape's Fighting STAB could demolish Empoleon, and Fire could demolish Torterra. Empoleon simply had the inferior type, being unable to effectively kill either before being killed.

In short, from a game designer's standpoint, having three Firefighters might not be popular, but it's easiest, which is important when designing a game, because a company is CONSTANTLY up your a** drilling you to finish. These days, a game company wants a good game done in 15 months. Fifteen months isn't near enough to test every combination for starters, as well as code an entire game and come up with a good scenario. You have to think about it from their standpoint.
    Game designers also have to pay attention to fans... Fire/Fighting is a VERY unpopular typing right now... and once again game designers don't give a flying fuck about the Meta-Game... they honestly could care less... plus having two pokemon with the same exact orgin (Journey to the West) is uncreative as much as I dislike Infernape his orgin is cool (based on Sun Goku) but having Emboar being based off of Zhu Baije is kind of uncreative...

I hope for anything other than Fire/Fighting I don;t care how terrible it is in the meta-game just anything other than Fire/Fighting
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

The main problem I have with the fire/fighting type repetition is that it doesn't give you as much of a new experience when playing. The moves they learn are very similar, their stats are fairly similar (although Emboar is probably a little more well-rounded than the others stat-wise except for in speed), and their strengths/weaknesses are identical. Even though Samurott and Serperior didn't have the most original typing, they at least had interesting stats and moves. Obviously Game Freak is still fully capable of creating new experiences since they change so much each generation, but for some reason this one aspect is overlooked. Honestly I don't think it's a time issue, primarily for the fact that the starters are probably going to have more time spent on them than other Pokemon since they're used more for promotional purposes than other Pokemon are.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I think introducing more fusion Pokemon would make me lose respect for them. Also if they started making Pokemon solely for competitive players and spent less time on making them unique and interesting move/stat wise and stories.

Who said anything about the metagame? Your rival DOES get a starter, you know.

Also, they might be inclined to listen to fans, but they know that regardless, they will sell another game, and you do too. The origins of these pokemon don't matter too much at all to most, and thus they don't need to be incredibly creative. The only thing they need to worry about is how fast they can pump out a sell-able game before Nintendo says "that's the deadline."

Once again, remember, they cannot cater to everyone. If they were smart, they wouldn't keep using firefighters, but if they do, you should understand WHY.

Now, I'm going to answer the question for myself, instead of playing some big DA. What would make me lose respect for the Pokemon Company is if they stopped making games. Not because "omg no moar pokemonz," because that would be a huge waste of a franchise that could continue for years to come, as well as all the money they could make. Another thing that they could do to make me hate them? A remake of Pokemon Colloseum on Wii-U instead of 3DS. xD

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Am I the only one who found Emopleon highly useful? I thought the Steel typing was unique. If only it had access to Meteor Mash, then it would've been awesome like a baws.

I'd lose respect if there were ANOTHER fire/fighting. Like many have us mentioned before, it's Samurott who should've been the one with the fighting type, not Emboar. What's a samurai that can't 'fight'? XDD

Honestly, what I want is a Grass/Fighting starter. I like the typing that Virizion and Breloom has. If they made a Grass/Fighting starter, it would be beautiful. The only problem would be balancing it.

Besides, what other type could you have given Emboar? He's not suited to pure Fire, so what? I would have to say Fire/Ground, but that's just me. >.<
    chella182 likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast