Live-Action American Pokemon Movie idea - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Live-Action American Pokemon Movie idea

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Default Re: Live-Action American Pokemon Movie idea

Live action? Not for pokémon.

When did a game or animation based live action go well. I guess the first Mortal Kombat movie wasn't that bad, and neither was the Super Mario Bros, cause it was just fun cheese, but just take a look at Dragon Ball, Garfield, Resident Evil and Twilight movies, I want to puke.

Oh wait, Twilight wasn't any good in the first place, imagine that.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

It's not the genre/medium that's the problem, it's the people. Why did Alone in the Dark fail? Because it was a film based on a video game? No, because it was directed by Uwe Boll. The only reason any film turns out bad is because people make bad decisions, not because of any inherent problems with the genre, medium or property.
    Toutebelle likes this.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    It's not the genre/medium that's the problem, it's the people. Why did Alone in the Dark fail? Because it was a film based on a video game? No, because it was directed by Uwe Boll. The only reason any film turns out bad is because people make bad decisions, not because of any inherent problems with the genre, medium or property.
    That is indeed true, and that's what I don't get for adaptations, you already have part of your script and the test audience, why go to such lenghts to make it seem nothing like it was based on?

And if you want to tell your own story about the franchise, fine, but at least make a concise movie, an example of this is the first (and only the first) Paul W. S. Anderson's Resident Evil movie, it could be it's own story, and it would have held up, instead, he tried to begin to emulate the canon after the first one, and failed miserably, which is sad, considering I liked his first Mortal Kombat movie...

Quote Originally Posted by agramugl View Post
    You know, as a kid, I really wanted to see a live action film based on Dragonball Z. That turned out wonderfully.

Seriously, though, anime CAN be done well in live action. Take a look at the Rurouni Kenshin film they just made. Speed Racer was also pretty good. Many surprisingly awesome films have been based off of manga, such as Oldboy and Ichi the Killer. Then there was the Ace Attorney film (not an anime, but it's heavily inspired by anime). Also, unlike a lot of people, I really enjoyed the Death Note films.

The anime films that succeed tend to be either directed by really good directors OR are realistic.

Ignoring the fact that Robin Williams has gone on record to say he'd audition for Professor Oak, you can rest assured that few people would take this film series. At worst, it'll be Smurfs quality. At best, Transformers. There is a tiny chance it would be worth watching. The reason being is that Pokemon would be hard to translate. The budget for the thing would be astronomical if the filmmakers hoped to make it half-way realistic looking, not to mention you'd need to cast good child actors, which are a rarity (not impossible, just incredibly uncommon). Basically, the core cast would need to be unknowns. The only celebrity draws would be the adults, and Robin Williams's name can only go so far.

Still, let's say that maybe you get a good cast. The writers would approach the film one of two ways, most likely. Either it's an adaptation of a kid's show (and out comes another Smurfs) or they need to make it dark and edgy (out comes another Transformers). Then you need a director. Sure, you can get a Chris Columbus type, and risk getting a really crappy adaptation (Percy Jackson?), OR you can get a self-proclaimed auteur who made some really big films, but wants to make a film for his kids (The Last Airbender). At the end of the day, all these elements need to come together, and the chance of getting someone halfway decent every step of the way for an international property is...tricky.

So yeah, not excited for a live action Pokemon film. It just wouldn't translate to the screen very well. Would I watch it? Probably. Doesn't mean it would be good...
    I think Chris Columbus did very well with the first two Harry Potter films. Having neither seen nor read Percy Jackson, I can't say anything about it.

If they adapted Colosseum, they wouldn't necessarily need to cast unknown child actors, since the leads are mid-to-late-teenagers anyway and could pretty easily be played by twenty-somethings, or even thirty-somethings if they look younger than they really are (seriously, my thirty-year-old Japanese instructor looks like she's seventeen).

If they chose to adapt the main series games, I'd hope they'd age up the protagonists a bit, because I'm not sure I could take eleven-year-old protagonists seriously in this context. And if they chose to adapt the anime....they're screwed before they've even written a script.
    Chris Columbus did a great job with the first two Harry Potter films. Those were two of my favorite ones, and some of the only points in the series I feel they captured the tone of the books. Percy Jackson, however...to be fair, the numerous issues with that film probably was an executive thing, and not Columbus's fault. It wreaks of Executive Meddling. But...

Colosseum would be a good adaptation. However, if they adapt it, I can promise you they probably won't be adapting the games. They'd probably adapt the anime, since it would probably be easier for the writers to draw a story out of it...

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

It doesn't take a genius to realize that an anime-based adaptation would be a trainwreck. The wacky, whimsical, brightly-colored nature of the show simply isn't suited to a live-action film, nor is its idiotic hero. Adapting from the games or Special is the best idea—the games are getting progressively darker, the manga has been pretty dark since day one, and the heroes, while they can and have been portrayed as inexperienced in battle from time to time, aren't prone to making asses of themselves all the time. Particularly the game protagonists, who don't have defined personalities anyway, allowing a screenwriter freedom to weave an appropriate personality wholecloth.

Once again, though, if it's the main series getting adapted, several things would have to be left out. The basic plot about the Pokémon League would have to be glossed over, to allow more screentime for the antagonists and to give the protagonists better, up-close development. In the case of Generations I and II, the antagonists would require a massive expansion to make them a more menacing threat, and at least one Legendary would probably have to be brought front-and-center for the sake of spectacle.

There is, perhaps, one way to increase the chances of success: sell the rights to Disney. If they can do it with Marvel, they can do it with Pokémon.
    Owain likes this.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

oh man if disney got pokemon

you're saying I could have spiderman and pikachu in my kingdom hearts?

hot diggity dawg nerdgasm over here playa

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

I do not think the plot of your movie idea is bad, however, I think it would be incredibly difficult to pull off a live action adaption of Pokemon. I think in a live action movie, the best kind of actor to portray Ash, or any similar hero receiving their first Pokemon, would be an actor who could portray a mid teenager (15 16), as a 10 year old actor would look strange, despite the anime having 10 year old children be the age to receive their first Pokemon. The Actor you chose to portray Ash was an interesting choice.

One of the hardest problems with making a Pokemon movie is movie length. It would be difficult fitting the adventures of Ash receiving his first Pokemon, to helping save the world in the space of 2-3 hours. With the first Pokemon anime movie, Ash has already been a trainer for quite some time, and as such could easily fit an interesting Pokemon story into a movie. It would be difficult to imagine a successful live action movie based on Ash receiving his first Pokemon.

You would also have to be very careful not to create a movie that disappoints Pokemon fans. Take The Last Airbender for instance, a movie based on Avatar: The Last Airbender, would imaginally be a lot easier to create a live action movie than a Pokemon movie. I believe a live action movie of the last Airbender could have had real potential, however, unfortunately, M. Night Shyamalan was just unable to create a movie to the standards Avatar fans would have been happy with, not to mention he made a lot of unnecessary changes which I never understood why he felt the need to change in the first place. So many people were disappointed, and in my mind, the same thing could happen with a live action Pokemon movie.

Out of curiosity, why Liam Neeson as Mew?? I thought that was a rather strange suggestion. I'd personally rather Mew in all adaptions to have the cute noises it makes to go along with it's cute appearance. (I just can't see mew saying to Mewtwo "I will find you, and I will kill you, haha.)

Also, I'd avoid Mewtwo being killed in the movie, but that is just my personal opinion.

If you do become a movie Director, and do decide to create a Pokemon live adaption movie one day, just be very careful. Do not make too many unnecessary changes light Shyamalan did with The Last Airbender. Also, in my opinion, I'd like to see the movie set in a proper Pokemon world, rather than in a real life world. Most of all, keep the movie true to the Pokemon series, and do your very best to create something that Pokemon fans would be happy to accept and beg for a sequel.
    Charishard likes this.

Trophies

Live action is probably not for Pokemon. If a Hollywood-style film were to be created for Pokemon, it would take away from what makes Pokemon Pokemon. Especially if they add "special effects," and blood; it would ruin Pokemon forever. However, the best game to make a live-action film would no doubt be XD: Gale of Darkness... At least this has a plot that isn't like the other games (Journey, get first Pokemon, encounter bad guys, stories of Legendary Pokemon, Gyms, more bad guys, defeat bad guys, Elite Four, Champion, Legendary Pokemon capturing, post-game stuff)...

For everyone saying that its a bad idea do to a live action adaptation of Pokemon, I wholeheartedly disagree. As per the blood, the dark knight never showed any blood and we all saw how amazing that was. You can show death in a movie without including blood and gore. A live action movie would be a cash cow for any studio willing to put in the time and money to make it successful. However, this idea probably isn't the best for a movie. A standalone movie isn't the way to go. I think you would have to go in the direction of at least a trilogy if not more. You could make the first movie of ash getting his first four badges, the second of him getting his last four, and the final movie of him battling the elite four.

That previously mentioned idea was probably the most straightforward and logical approach a studio would take in developing the liveaction series. However, if they wanted to maximize their profit they could always take the Marvel approach and have different characters each in their standalone movie and bring them together once every other year. Obviously the standalone movies would focus around the more popular pokemon. One series could focus on ash and his pursuit for badges, another around Gary and his endeavors on the road, or possibly misty or Brock and their rise to becoming gym leaders and/or what it takes to run a gym. There are so many different ways they could successfully adapt this franchise into liveaction and keep it going until people lose interest. What makes it so appealing is that they could not only market it to children, but adults as well. The smartest thing they could do is rate is and portray the action in the same way marvel/dc does and have the movie filled with action with lessons learned at the end.

I didn't read your post until have I had posted mine, but I very much agree with you. In fact, as I stated in my post, the most logical thing they can do is to start off following the anime. The first movie could revolve around ash getting his first pokemon, catching his first pokemon, meeting misty, and beating Brock. The movie could end right there and the second could pick up months afterwards with him already having a few more badges and only needing a few more before he can battle the elite four. Possibly they could introduce team rocket in this one (leaving out meowth wouldn't disappoint pokemon fans I don't think as it would make a live action movie much too cheesy). Team rocket itself could be modified, omitting their slogan and inability to do anything right; they would have to be much more diabolical and threatening. But you're right, they need to keep as close to the anime as possible since that's what people have grown attached to. That was the downfall of the last air bender. However, a pokemon movie already has everything going for it so there's no reason for a studio not to pick it up.

Registered User Pokémon Spectrum's Avatar

I've actually had an idea on how make a Pokémon film like this. First off, you set the film in the universe of the games. Second, don't use any pre-existing characters (that way you don't run the risk of having anyone act out-of-chatacter). Third, you DO NOT make it live-action. You use motion capture. That way you can make the characters look however you need them to, and the Pokémon won't look out of place. Fourth: NO BIG-NAME CELEBRITIES FOR THE SAKE OF BIG-NAME CELEBRITIES. Only hire people who are actually fans of the franchise, and therefore understand how the world they're helping to portray works.
    I was born to be a winner... but I'll settle for being an ordinary Trainer.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that an anime-based adaptation would be a trainwreck. The wacky, whimsical, brightly-colored nature of the show simply isn't suited to a live-action film, nor is its idiotic hero. Adapting from the games or Special is the best idea—the games are getting progressively darker, the manga has been pretty dark since day one, and the heroes, while they can and have been portrayed as inexperienced in battle from time to time, aren't prone to making asses of themselves all the time. Particularly the game protagonists, who don't have defined personalities anyway, allowing a screenwriter freedom to weave an appropriate personality wholecloth.

Once again, though, if it's the main series getting adapted, several things would have to be left out. The basic plot about the Pokémon League would have to be glossed over, to allow more screentime for the antagonists and to give the protagonists better, up-close development. In the case of Generations I and II, the antagonists would require a massive expansion to make them a more menacing threat, and at least one Legendary would probably have to be brought front-and-center for the sake of spectacle.

There is, perhaps, one way to increase the chances of success: sell the rights to Disney. If they can do it with Marvel, they can do it with Pokémon.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but Marvel's doing everything themselves, they started work on the Marvel Cinematic Universe well before Disney bought them. They have their own studio, they're the ones who are running the show. Selling the rights to a live-action Pokémon movie to Disney wouldn't guarantee success, it'd just make a mess of things regarding all of the copyrights. Especially since Cartoon Network (and by extension, Time-Warner, who owns Warner Bros.) already has the distribution rights to the anime. They'd probably make quite a stink if Disney tried to get the rights. Besides, it still all boils down to Nintendo and Game Freak. If THEY wanted a live-action movie made, they'd have done it themselves by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Owain View Post
    Live action? Not for pokémon.

When did a game or animation based live action go well. I guess the first Mortal Kombat movie wasn't that bad, and neither was the Super Mario Bros, cause it was just fun cheese, but just take a look at Dragon Ball, Garfield, Resident Evil and Twilight movies, I want to puke.

Oh wait, Twilight wasn't any good in the first place, imagine that.
    Twilight was also a series of novels, not a game or cartoon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123