Live-Action American Pokemon Movie idea - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Live-Action American Pokemon Movie idea

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Live-Action American Pokemon Movie idea

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    I must say upfront that I have yet to see an American live-action adaptation of an eastern made or inspired cartoon that hasn't been terrible. For starters, the cast has been whitewashed, which could prove to be a very unpopular choice with fans.
    Speed Racer.

I don't really consider it white-washed since it was more so inspired by the dub as opposed to the original Japanese version, and thus to most fans Speed Racer and co. were always "American".

Eh, not really liking the idea of any Anime to become a Live action movie. So far it hasn't gotten a good rep, and I think Pokemon being being made into a Live action movie would not go at all.

A live action Pokemon movie would be hard to do. A 3D animated movie like FF7 Advent Children could work though. I've seen live action films with monsters in them, like The Neverending Story, and they are good, but it takes a lot of work, and I think making Pokemon would be even more difficult.

There are better chances with computer graphics in making a Pokemon movie. Game Freak with their graphics can't do it though, and I'm not sure Square Enix would want to do a Pokemon movie. They could also mix graphics with live action, like in Avatar, but I don't suggest it, because it could make the Pokemon (which are likely the graphics) look strange in comparison with the live actors.

I wouldn't want a Pokemon film like that live action Super Mario movie, which is likely to happen I guess, if someone tries to make a live action of Pokemon.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Pokemon as Hollywood-style?

NO. Live action is going to ruin the beauty of the games.

Blog Entries

I don't think the general tone of the pokémon anime would translate well to a live-action film. The pokémon world in general too, actually. It would be better if it were based directly on the games, but still. The pokémon themselves stand out against a real-world backdrop no matter how you animate them (CGI, 2D, etc.).

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

I honestly don't see this working in any way, shape or form.

First off, something would be lost in translation. There would have to be changes, whether it be to the battle style or attacks; don't even get me started on the changes to the Pokemon themselves. The film makers would have to make them look more realistic and I'm not sure how the fans would handle this. There was a firestorm dealing with the changes to the Autobots and Decepticons in the live action Transformer films; Transfandom in general is still split over this. (And there are a ton of TF fans who swear that "Bayformers" aren't real Transformers. It's not a pretty situation, believe me.)

Secondly, the games themselves don't really lend themselves to a live action movie. The games are light and gentle; what most want to see when they go to a movie is something dark and gritty. Now, the darkest area of Pokemon seems to be Orre but there are a lot of fans who hate the idea of Shadow Pokemon. Trying to base a movie off that area may not make fans happy and they may not want to spend their money to see it.

Third, although CG Pokemon might look amazing, realistic CG Pokemon would take some getting used to. I'm not talking CG models of what we see in the Pokedex. I'm talking something that looks as though it would exist in this world. They would look odd to say the least. Fans may not like this and they would probably skip out on seeing any film featuring them. There are other reasons, of course. But I honestly can't see this happening at all. And if it did, I dread the fan reaction over it. Seeing the flame wars on the boards dealing with the '07 Transformers movie wasn't fun; I'd hate to see something like that happen to the Pokemon fandom.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Nyx

Nooooo. It's not necessary, it would flop hard and it would definitely not have that "Pokemon" feeling. Besides, why would the plot be a remake of the original series and not something new?

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

If they did a live-action film, they wouldn't necessarily have to fall back on CGI for every Pokémon. See the 1986 version of Little Shop of Horrors (preferably the Director's Cut) to understand why there's still something to be said for good old-fashioned puppetry.

As for the cast, I'd hope for:
    • Tom Felton as Wes
    • Bonnie Wright as Rui
    • Ray Park as Nascour
    • Stellan Skarsgård as Es Cade/Evice

Everyone else, I don't really care.
    Owain likes this.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

WAIT
    LIAM NEESON AS MEW
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    oh, wait
    Victoria Justice as Misty?
    DO NOT WANT

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why would Misty and Brock be in the movie? They haven't been Ash's travel companions for years now, (especially in the former's case, over 10 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    If they did a live-action film, they wouldn't necessarily have to fall back on CGI for every Pokémon. See the 1986 version of Little Shop of Horrors (preferably the Director's Cut) to understand why there's still something to be said for good old-fashioned puppetry.

As for the cast, I'd hope for:
    • Tom Felton as Wes
    • Bonnie Wright as Rui
    • Ray Park as Nascour
    • Stellan Skarsgård as Es Cade/Evice

Everyone else, I don't really care.
    Although I don't look forward to a live-action Pokemon movie, I would like to see Pokemon puppets. Something like The Never-ending Story or the Dark Crystal. But they would have to make something different from the existing anime, because whatever they do, a live-action will be different in many ways. Unfortunately, it could turn out to be another live-action Super Mario.
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape

You know, as a kid, I really wanted to see a live action film based on Dragonball Z. That turned out wonderfully.

Seriously, though, anime CAN be done well in live action. Take a look at the Rurouni Kenshin film they just made. Speed Racer was also pretty good. Many surprisingly awesome films have been based off of manga, such as Oldboy and Ichi the Killer. Then there was the Ace Attorney film (not an anime, but it's heavily inspired by anime). Also, unlike a lot of people, I really enjoyed the Death Note films.

The anime films that succeed tend to be either directed by really good directors OR are realistic.

Ignoring the fact that Robin Williams has gone on record to say he'd audition for Professor Oak, you can rest assured that few people would take this film series. At worst, it'll be Smurfs quality. At best, Transformers. There is a tiny chance it would be worth watching. The reason being is that Pokemon would be hard to translate. The budget for the thing would be astronomical if the filmmakers hoped to make it half-way realistic looking, not to mention you'd need to cast good child actors, which are a rarity (not impossible, just incredibly uncommon). Basically, the core cast would need to be unknowns. The only celebrity draws would be the adults, and Robin Williams's name can only go so far.

Still, let's say that maybe you get a good cast. The writers would approach the film one of two ways, most likely. Either it's an adaptation of a kid's show (and out comes another Smurfs) or they need to make it dark and edgy (out comes another Transformers). Then you need a director. Sure, you can get a Chris Columbus type, and risk getting a really crappy adaptation (Percy Jackson?), OR you can get a self-proclaimed auteur who made some really big films, but wants to make a film for his kids (The Last Airbender). At the end of the day, all these elements need to come together, and the chance of getting someone halfway decent every step of the way for an international property is...tricky.

So yeah, not excited for a live action Pokemon film. It just wouldn't translate to the screen very well. Would I watch it? Probably. Doesn't mean it would be good...

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

Pokemon is just one of those things that can't be adapted for live-action without losing a lot in the process.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    Although I don't look forward to a live-action Pokemon movie, I would like to see Pokemon puppets. Something like The Never-ending Story or the Dark Crystal. But they would have to make something different from the existing anime, because whatever they do, a live-action will be different in many ways. Unfortunately, it could turn out to be another live-action Super Mario.
    Hey, I liked the live-action Super Mario. Sure, it didn't bear much resemblance to the Mario everyone's familiar with, but it was good for what it was. And it had enough mythology gags to keep it rooted to the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by agramugl View Post
    You know, as a kid, I really wanted to see a live action film based on Dragonball Z. That turned out wonderfully.

Seriously, though, anime CAN be done well in live action. Take a look at the Rurouni Kenshin film they just made. Speed Racer was also pretty good. Many surprisingly awesome films have been based off of manga, such as Oldboy and Ichi the Killer. Then there was the Ace Attorney film (not an anime, but it's heavily inspired by anime). Also, unlike a lot of people, I really enjoyed the Death Note films.

The anime films that succeed tend to be either directed by really good directors OR are realistic.

Ignoring the fact that Robin Williams has gone on record to say he'd audition for Professor Oak, you can rest assured that few people would take this film series. At worst, it'll be Smurfs quality. At best, Transformers. There is a tiny chance it would be worth watching. The reason being is that Pokemon would be hard to translate. The budget for the thing would be astronomical if the filmmakers hoped to make it half-way realistic looking, not to mention you'd need to cast good child actors, which are a rarity (not impossible, just incredibly uncommon). Basically, the core cast would need to be unknowns. The only celebrity draws would be the adults, and Robin Williams's name can only go so far.

Still, let's say that maybe you get a good cast. The writers would approach the film one of two ways, most likely. Either it's an adaptation of a kid's show (and out comes another Smurfs) or they need to make it dark and edgy (out comes another Transformers). Then you need a director. Sure, you can get a Chris Columbus type, and risk getting a really crappy adaptation (Percy Jackson?), OR you can get a self-proclaimed auteur who made some really big films, but wants to make a film for his kids (The Last Airbender). At the end of the day, all these elements need to come together, and the chance of getting someone halfway decent every step of the way for an international property is...tricky.

So yeah, not excited for a live action Pokemon film. It just wouldn't translate to the screen very well. Would I watch it? Probably. Doesn't mean it would be good...
    I think Chris Columbus did very well with the first two Harry Potter films. Having neither seen nor read Percy Jackson, I can't say anything about it.

If they adapted Colosseum, they wouldn't necessarily need to cast unknown child actors, since the leads are mid-to-late-teenagers anyway and could pretty easily be played by twenty-somethings, or even thirty-somethings if they look younger than they really are (seriously, my thirty-year-old Japanese instructor looks like she's seventeen).

If they chose to adapt the main series games, I'd hope they'd age up the protagonists a bit, because I'm not sure I could take eleven-year-old protagonists seriously in this context. And if they chose to adapt the anime....they're screwed before they've even written a script.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Te-em View Post
    Hey, I liked the live-action Super Mario. Sure, it didn't bear much resemblance to the Mario everyone's familiar with, but it was good for what it was. And it had enough mythology gags to keep it rooted to the source material.
    I have to admit I never thought it bad when I watched it either. But it's just not really Super Mario. I heard there were far too many manuscript writers or something, and the original writer was very disappointed in the result. It's not like the first Super Mario movie (which is animated).

A Pokemon live-action could risk being only popular because of its title, and then the content can be anything. And if it's American, it would probably be targeted at kids as well, making it less serious (because kids will buy anything with the label "Pokemon" on it, or at least they used to do so).

That's how I felt the Super Mario movie was, a bit depended on its title. Not that the film itself was bad, but one would expect more from a Super Mario movie. It was probably this disappointment that made the film unpopular.

I do of course want to see Pokemon that looks real (not that any film maker will bother with that quality though), but now I'm thinking about Yoshi. Nothing wrong with him in the film, except that he doesn't look like Yoshi. Nor does Koopa look like he should. What would Pokemon look like then?

Not saying that the film makers, whoever they would be in this case, would make bad movies, but for Pokemon there are a lot of expectations and fans may think they ruin the series. It's more than a title after all.

On my wish list for Pokemon live-action, is something like Dark Crystal. It would be nice to see a fantasy world, if it's not seen as too un-Pokemon. Perhaps a world set before the one in the games. That trailer someone posted before scared me though; I don't want Pokemon to be like that! And I'm not only thinking about the Pokemon design . . . the story itself didn't appear very attractive for an American live-action Pokemon film. If it's American then a fantasy would do best. If it's Japanese, then maybe a film similar to the anime would work better. It's just that I've always imagined Pokemon to be set in Japan or a similar environment. Seeing it somewhere else, and there isn't a clear reason, may make it seem a bit off, like Super Mario not living in the Mushroom Kingdom.
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast