Lifestyles of the tough and famous
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifestyles of the tough and famous

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Question Lifestyles of the tough and famous

I'm dedicating this topic to speculation on the life styles of Gym Leaders and other important Trainers.

What do you think life is like for Gym Leaders and Elite Four members when they're not battling Trainers?

Do you think they live alone or with families? Do you think they have lots of people surrounding them constantly or they are more lonely? What about their relationships with other Gym Leaders? (I'm not talking about shipping, I'm talking about things like getting to know other leaders in the region and in other regions.)

I think it depends on the Gym Leader and what their occupation is. For example, Elesa is a supermodel and Roxie is in a rock band, so naturally they has a lot of people following them around. On the other hand, Morty and Flannery do not seem to do anything like that, so I would assume their lives are a little more private.

It might even vary between the games, the anime, and the manga. In the games, Falkner clearly has no occupation besides Gym Leader. But in the manga, he helps out with the police. The anime gives some insight to their life styles, but the games kinda leave it a little more vague - especially the older ones where Gym Leaders are not shown outside of their Gyms.

Who they live with might depend on the age. I'd expect a lot of the younger Gym Leaders like Roxie, Falkner, Janine, and Bugsy to still live with their parents. But older ones like Lt. Surge, Clair, Fantina, and Drayden would probably live on their own - maybe with spouses or children if they have them.

Elite Four members, on the other hand, probably do get quite a bit of publicity and attention. They probably have very good living quarters too. And don't even get me started on Champions.

SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lifestyles of the tough and famous

Most gym leaders in the anime seem like loner types. You get the impression their duties take up most of their time.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Roark and Byron are miners obviously. Roark even explains you about the Underground when you first get there. Their jobs are better showcased in the anime.

Steven is the heir to the Devon Corp. But he spends time in caves and stuff. I guess he might have already completed business school or so...

Blog Entries

I figure most gym leaders have a day job that they are doing between pokemon training and battles. I mean, we know Lenora works in a museum, Burgh is an artist, Elesa is an Idol/Model, the trio bros are waiters/hosts, Sabrina is an actress now, etc. All the other gym leaders I figure they are too young to have day jobs yet (I mean, Falkner and Flannery are still teenagers, you know? What are they going to do?), are old enough to be retired (like Price and Blaine), or have a job or do things that the games just don't mention. And I figure they spend time educating people about pokemon and their pokemon type specialty, and helping the trainers that hang around their gyms and whatnot. And they probably get some money doing advertizements and promotions and stuff, since they are relatively famous, and maybe they enter pokemon competitions that give out monetary prizes.

I do have my own little fanon bits about the various gym leaders lives that we don't know about, though. For instance, I think Mr. Psychic is Sabrina's father, that Volkner and Flint were delinquents when they were younger, Clair is some kind of Miko/priestess, and that Morty is a folklorist and in charge of historical preservation of the two towers and stuff in Ecruteak.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick- Or -Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scope and Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

I'm going to go in on Volkner specifically...I think he lives THE LIFE...he probably gets all the ladies.

I have no doubt he is the DOMINANT presence among his fellow gym leaders and I'm sure that everyone looks up to him...I mean after all he revamped his whole gym out of boredom...talk about being productive one your spare time.

Volkner = all time favorite Gym leader :P

I RNG, if you think that's cheating you're dumb.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Kanto

Johto

Hoenn

Sinnoh

Unova

My thoughts with the help from my blog comments.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

There's no way that Caitlin is royalty. She's from Unova, and I doubt it has a royal family. However, there are lots of people who think they are royalty, only some of whom are actually from wealthy families.

Aristocracy is possible, though.

I'm actually thinking of writing a fanfic where Falkner is asked to be a cop. (But knowing who I am, I might make it a funny story instead of a serious one.) And I TOTALLY agree that Volkner must be a bad boy.
    Last edited by Baby Seals; 24th April 2013 at 09:10 PM.

well Drayden is prob mayor for life in Opelucid

wouldn't you vote for the dude who wrestles dragons in his spare time/training?

Marlon is a pro surfer and was on the Hoenn circuit w brawly back in the day

Grimsley seems like he was a grifter,y'know? the E4 thing is a legit gig. He prob cheated quite a few folks at Voltorb Flip

Iris is like 12 so Middle school CHAMPION prob

When gym leaders and elite four members are not battling, they are training and studying, as it is required to the job they're responsible.

Moreover, when not battling they are cooking, sleeping, pooping and all other things a normal person does.

Other than just doing things that any other normal person would do, most of these people probably have some role in the government. The Elite Four and Champion definitely play large roles in the region's government, and I'm sure the gym leaders have some degree of governmental authority in their respective cities.

I think gym leaders basically live the same lives as normal people do. I don't think many of them would have another job, not a full time job anyway. Being the leader of the gym means being the owner, and that seems pretty demanding. Think about it. They have to do maintenance on their battle field, or make sure they get someone for maintenance (those battles must do regular damage, Flannery for example). They have to care for all the Pokemon they keep in the gym, give them attention, exercise, and make sure they purchase enough food, so on and so forth. And since it is a gym, people come there to learn and practice. For example, in the anime Sabrina's gym had lots of people testing their psychic abilities. Erica teaches classes, and she has a perfume shop too. But generally gym leaders may be too busy to do anything else full time. Brock sure didn't, what with his brothers and sisters.

And sure, Cilian and his brothers have a restaurant, but isn't that built into the gym? And as for living spaces, that could vary too. I mean it would be really convenient for the Gym leader to live there. But the gym would have to have those sorts of living spaces built into the architecture. That might be possible for those that build the gym.

Of course gym leaders probably charge something for people that come to learn at the gym, that would make sense as a form of income. I remember Misty's sisters putting on that show, that would count too. Or maybe the Pokemon League gives out the sanctioned gyms money.

When it comes to the Elite Four, that's tougher. I mean the Elite Four are only officially challenged with the league conference, and that's yearly, far less frequent than gyms. So they must find something to keep them busy.

Blog Entries

I'm sure most of them do know each other pretty well. How they get along...well that might depend.
    Helga: Look, Phoebe you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleepover you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
    Phoebe: Just get out.
    - Hey Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
    I'm sure most of them do know each other pretty well. How they get along...well that might depend.
    Yeah, you would think they would maybe meet each other. Maybe all the leaders of the official gyms have a meeting where they get to talk amongst themselves and league officials.

Also, what's this about Sabrina being an actress? This is the Sabrina from Saffron City, right?

Blog Entries

@reynard; In BW2 there are movie-making side quests at Poke'star Studios, and one of the actresses is Sabrina. She plays an evil witch.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick- Or -Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scope and Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Chuck apparently likes to sit under a waterfall. All day. Every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast