Legendary Pokemon

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Pokemon

Impossible is only a word BlueNostalgia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Legendary Pokemon

Sorry if there's already a thread like this.

Am I the only one who still firmly stands on the fact that there is only one of each legendary?

As I explained in a post before, with the new revelation of the fact that Snap wasn't even originally going to be a Pokemon game, as much as I love the game, I now question its relevance to the canon.

Aside from that, up until the baby Lugia episodes, it was heavily implied in the anime that there was only one of each, and in the main series games there's never been any indication (aside from the Battle Frontier, which I don't really count) that there's more than one of each.

Am I just being nostalgic again? Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina are certain, but surely it doesn't make sense for there to be more than one of the others either...?

I consider the Anime, Manga, and Games to all have seperate canon, as I'm sure a lot of the rest of the fandom does. I personally don't give two hoots about the anime and have only just started reading the manga. Could anyone enlighten me? Does anyone else agree with me?
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

- Danerius Jr, my best friend and greatest Pokemon Rival

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Legendary Pokemon

I agree with the view that there is/should be only one of each legendary, otherwise they aren't so legendary...right?

Which reminds me, how can 'shiny' legendaries exist if there is only one? That would mean that it isn't shiny- the shiny form is normal!

Summary: I agree with the views expressed in the first post.
    I do not watch the anime nor read the manga.
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

Blog Entries

I think there are more than one of some (Bird trio, Celebi, Lugia,etc.) but for others there are only one (Arceus, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and others).

Impossible is only a word BlueNostalgia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarceus11 View Post
    I think there are more than one of some (Bird trio, Celebi, Lugia,etc.)
    But in the games Lugia is made out to be THE Guardian of the sea, definitly a singular term, no hint of plural.

And the legendary bird trio are supposed to be the bringers of the seasons, how can there be more than one of them?

As for Celebi, even the anime can't be taken for definite that there's more than one, it could have been the same Celebi from different time zones.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Which reminds me, how can 'shiny' legendaries exist if there is only one? That would mean that it isn't shiny- the shiny form is normal!
    The way I see it, everyone's game is a seperate dimension, and if you get a shiny legendary, then in that dimension, its shiny form is its normal form.
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

- Danerius Jr, my best friend and greatest Pokemon Rival

Blog Entries

There are an infinite number of Celebi's because there's one from every instant in time. I think that there are multiple of the bird trio, and Lugias have babies (I wish I could breed them ingame so badly).
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

The multi-dimensional game theory makes sense. It ties the fact that it's the same person doing the same set of events differently up nicely too.
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

First off, I would just like to say this is a good topic to talk about:)

Now, let's define "legendaries" real quick. A legendary is not a rare Pokémon. A rare Pokémon is like a Dratini or Gible or such. A legendary, by MY definition, is basically a very strong mystic type of Pokémon which is a pain in the ass to catch.

Ok. Now we can move on. A legendary- the reason people say there is only one is because up until gen 4 (thanks to Heatran and Cresselia. Geez, talk about the different from the bunch >_>) where Heatran was given male gender and Cresselia with a girl gender. However, even if none of the other Legends are gendered (lol for new words....:P) it's still possible to have them mate. I mean, how exactly would you explain the baby Lugia? and, how do things like Unown reproduce? even without genders, there ARE still quite a bunch of Pokémon that "have more" even being with no gender. So, I will say that although there aren't more than one gender, I believe that there can be more, I mean there always is Ditto....and yet, there's still a bunch of ways to make it happen. I read up to about Chapter 25 in the manga, so no sign of more legendaries...(for now ;P) I really could care less for the animé, hell I'll go as far as to say it's the worst thing in the Pokémon series. and the games, well of course my answer will be no.

So, my final answer, is No, although there cannot be more than a Legendary, it is always possible.

It varies with each legendary. For example, there are more than 1 Heatran, Lugia, and I think there are probably more of the legendary Golems (excluding Gigas) since that one trainer in the anime has them. I guess it won't be known until they confirm it though.

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

If there was more than one legendary than that would defeat the purpose of it being legendary

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I feel that in the case of the birds from Gen 1 that there are more. Same with the regis and the Lati@s. And of course manaphy, phione, heatran, mew, celebi, Jirachi, and doexys have multiple. Maybe even Darkrai and Cresselia. But the rest are all one off. They all have unique histories and stories that make it impossible to be one of a vast multitude.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Considering that legendary Pokemon are separated into actual Pokemon of Legend (or myth) and Mirage Pokemon, those that are so rarely seen that they are considered legendary (what I call the Pokemon equivalent to cryptids), then I'd say depending on which category the Pokemon falls in, then there may be more than one of them.

Of course, things are complicated with clearly one-of Pokemon like Mewtwo or Genosect who are clearly not Pokemon mentioned in any legends so would likely fall under the 'mirage' category, but still only have one. Of course, there's nothing saying that there couldn't be more of them produced since they were artificially made.

Then there's the Pokemon of Legend, that in-canon have multiples, specifically the Sinnoh Dragon trio. Unless people are going to argue a real in-game event (the Sinjoh ruins) isn't real, then there is a potential for the in-game universe to have at least two of one of the dragon trios.

Now as for legendary Pokemon appearing in multiple games, that doesn't necessarily mean that there's more than one of them. Other than Reshiram/Zekrom, none of those Pokemon are canonically captured by the protagonist to advance through the game, most only need to just be defeated if they even play a story in the plot.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 31st October 2010 at 08:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Well The birds and Beast are defnintly not one of a kind as they can be fiund in several different Regions... (Plus Collo and XD which according to Bulbapedia are counted as Main Series games) BOth the Birds and Beast are used by Cipher... and snatched by Wes/Micheal. Plus The Beast Trio in Fiorre seem to be native there (Remeber the Entie was a statue)

The Lesser Legends Like the Bird Beast Regi Trio aren't one of a kind but the major Legends are one of a kind

Blog Entries

The amount of each legendary Pokemon does depend on which canon it's in.

In the games, it's obvious that big-name legends such as Rayquaza, Arceus, Reshiram, etc. are one of a kind and have certain niches in the Pokemon world that make them irreplaceable. For the other legendaries such as Shaymin and Mew, there may be several of each. Save for the Regis and Birds, there is no major evidence for this assumption, though. Just minor implications.

In the anime, this whole thing is kind of jumbled up. Most legendaries like Arceus, the Dragon Trio, and Ho-oh are one-of-a-kind. However, other big-name legends like Lugia have been shown to be able to reproduce. Other legendaries like Shaymin, Deoxys, Manaphy, and Mew have been shown to be in many numbers. So basically, it all depends on the species in anime canon.

AdvanceShipper Dawn Fan HeatTagShipper

Blog Entries

In the games, it's obvious that big-name legends such as Rayquaza, Arceus, Reshiram, etc. are one of a kind and have certain niches in the Pokemon world that make them irreplaceable. For the other legendaries such as Shaymin and Mew, there may be several of each. Save for the Regis and Birds, there is no major evidence for this assumption, though. Just minor implications.
    What assumptions do we have for the birds? The Regi's is completely reasonable as they're found sealed in ruins in both Hoenn and Sinnoh.

The birds are mentioned by Oak to be roaming Sinnoh, nothing canon about catching them, and I made that case earlier in the thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    What assumptions do we have for the birds? The Regi's is completely reasonable as they're found sealed in ruins in both Hoenn and Sinnoh.

The birds are mentioned by Oak to be roaming Sinnoh, nothing canon about catching them, and I made that case earlier in the thread.
    There IS the Orre Birds though... Besides Reshiram/Zekrom they were captured (by the Main baddy and snaged by Micheal) Unless it was the same birds... (XD DOES take place roughly around the same time as B/W (5 years after Collo which takes place around the same time as FR/Lg/E)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast