If you ran a Pokémon Gym what kind of leader would you be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you ran a Pokémon Gym what kind of leader would you be?

Blog Entries

Default If you ran a Pokémon Gym what kind of leader would you be?

Basically, if you could run a Pokémon Gym of your own;

• What kind of Pokémon would you use?
    • What kind of battlefield would you have to battle on?
    • Would you have a scoreboard like the one in some gyms like Roxie?
    • Would you have an official referee or a robotic one like Volkner?
    • How many Pokémon would you allow in matches for yourself and the trainer?
    • Would you allow yourself and the trainer the ability to switch out Pokémon during the match?
    • If you were one of the 8 gyms highlighted in the anime/games what would you like your badge design to look like?
    • Say a trainer had their first Pokémon Gym match at your gym would you use lower level Pokémon against their starter team?
    • What city/region would you establish yourself in?
    • Would you be the type of leader like Fantina that closes the gym randomly to go out and travel on your own?
    • What kind of battles would you have single, double, triple or a mix of them like Juan did in Hoenn having a Double Battle then single elimination afterwards.

Honestly, I don’t see myself using only one type of Pokémon so I would probably be like Blue and use all kind of types. If anything I think that would be best for any trainer I would be facing to adapt to the different kinds of Pokémon they will encounter during the league and on their journey.

In terms of what kind of battle that is a tough one I enjoy double battles as much as single matches. Haven’t done too many triple matches though. I might be like Greta from the Battle Frontier and have a wheel for the trainer to spin to decide what kind of battle it would be.

I would definitely have a scoreboard just for the added effect. Not sure what region/city I would establish myself in but I wouldn’t be like some leaders and just close the gym for long periods of time. Of course, I’d take some breaks to give my team a rest or to train but not for a long time. Probably during league time or something since trainers would be busy during competition and they already have the badges that they need.

Its hard to say but I would probably use Pokemon at different strengths depending on the trainer I’m facing. Say I was the 1st or 3rd leader they faced, I wouldn’t use like a Charizard or Milotic you know? I would use Pokemon that would put up a good fight in order to not completely crush them. However, I wouldn’t go easy on them if I did…

I’d let both sides be able to switch Pokemon during the match. Also, I would probably change the number of Pokemon used well if I’m using the wheel that doesn’t really matter.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Default Re: If you ran a Pokémon Gym what kind of leader would you be?

Ghost types. Anyone who has seen me in these forums should expect nothing less.

Hmm, there would be Litwick shaped candles and a few Lampent lanturns dotting the walls with a Chandelure chandelier on the ceiling and plenty of dark colours and shadows. A trainer would need to be sharp at all times.

Yes, I'll go for that.

Likely a robotic one since they don't get scared...

3 Pokémon each.

• Would you allow yourself and the trainer the ability to switch out Pokémon during the match?

Only the trainer gets to switch. I'm sure I could cope.

• If you were one of the 8 gyms highlighted in the anime/games what would you like your badge design to look like?

Hmm... Well, it could look very similar to the literal ghosts found in Lavender Town's Pokémon Tower.

• Say a trainer had their first Pokémon Gym match at your gym would you use lower level Pokémon against their starter team?

Yes. I would use the base forms of my team consisting of Drifblim, Chandelure, and Gengar. Still no holding back though.

Unova's Yamaji Town because it is fairly close to the haunted Stranger House. With that positioning I could be the 6th or 7th they usually face.

• Would you be the type of leader like Fantina that closes the gym randomly to go out and travel on your own?

Well, yes. You can't really expect a Leader to stay in that one spot all the time. I would at least keep it in moderation and let trainers and the Pokémon League know beforehand, though.

• What kind of battles would you have single, double, triple or a mix of them like Juan did in Hoenn having a Double Battle then single elimination afterwards.

I'll use Singles. Triples would be a bit too quick in 3v3 matches.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Another thing I was thinking about is similar to what I said before about potentially being the first gym a challenger faces in that region or the first in their career as a Pokemon trainer. It depends on what city/town you are in because if I remember correctly in Hoenn there was a Nurse Joy that gave out starter Pokemon I think it was in Slateport City.

So, I would definitely have a lot of Pokemon at different skill levels. Yeah, I see what you mean I'd probably go with Single Battles over Triple instead. Only offering Double Battles to trainers that wanted it.

I certainly wouldn't want to stay in the same spot either, I think Frontier Brains are able to get away with that more considering few people challenge it (that we know of anyway) and that they can only get to a certain point after defeating another facility.

As Paul said when he first met Ash, "3 on 3 is the best way of seeing what kind of Pokemon a trainer is good at working with."

Presuming my gym has to be type based like the others I think I would pick ground.

It would be a dry land base with dust from the gym being pushed by fans surrounding the battle field to form a type of sandstorm. The players would be elevated up and look down upon their Pokemon.

Nope, I'll have a more traditional style of gym.

A person who stands on a balcony above.

Three each.

We can both switch.

It would be a rare brown stone found in one of my gym's dungeons.

No, I will play optimally regardless of my opponent.

Lavender town because it is a personal favorite and needs a gym there.

Definitely. I want my own challenges in addition to being a challenge for others.

Japanese style 3v3s (so six to three with the same restrictions) because they are currently my favorite tier.

My team would be: Hippowdon, Garchomp, Excadrill, Gliscor, Flygon and Mamoswine.

hi

Grass Type
    Regular Battle Field
    No
    Official Referee
    Depends on how many badges the trainer already has.
    Yes
    A Helicopter seed
    Yes
    Fuchsia City or my home town
    Probably not
    Single
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    [B]

No, I will play optimally regardless of my opponent.

My team would be: Hippowdon, Garchomp, Excadrill, Gliscor, Flygon and Mamoswine.
    Haha, I like your attitude. If anything it would be anything but impossible for a rookie to win. I would be interested in seeing you battle Ash if he was at his 4 gym challenge in a new region in your gym. Just to see the impossible endurance and strength of his first stage/second stage Pokemon. Not saying nothing bad against you because if anything say a rookie/new trainer loses to you I mean that should inspire them to train even harder to come back or have them think about their strategies and talent as a trainer.

So, in a sense a great team like that and sandstorm adding in more hardships that could bring out the best in a potential challenger. Smart to have that Sandstorm effect because your team would benefit greatly because of most of their Special Abilities. And with both of you switching, heck I'd like to challenge your gym sounds like a very good challenge.

Blog Entries

What kind of Pokémon would you use?
    Fire Type!

What kind of battlefield would you have to battle on?
    In a Volcano (like Cinnabar Gym in the anime)

I guess... sure

Offical referee

5 on 5

Trainer can I can't

A red and Blue flame

Yes it'd only be fair...

A rebuilt Cinnabar I guess or maybe Lavaridge

yeah I hate sitting still

Single battle

My Team would be

Rookie Team:
    Growlith, Vulpix (with Drought), Houndour, Litwick

Mid-Team
    Arcanine, Ninetales (with Drought), Houndoom, Lampent, Larvesta,

Final Team:
    Arcanine, Ninetales (with Drought), Houndoom, Chandelure, Volcarona
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

This is a good thread topic \^3^/

I'd mainly use Flying types and Water types, but it wouldn't be the only thing I'd use. My Pokemon would be...

Togekiss♀,named Cirrus
    Togekiss♂,named Hypotenuse
    Crobat♀,named Toxi
    Gyarados♀,named Misty
    Metagross,named Zetal
    Electivire♂,named Tazetail
    Vaporeon♀,named Bubbles
    Empoleon♂,named Icyflare

Right before the battle would start, both trainers would be allowed to access their PC and change Pokemon.

It would be a massive, battlefield where the trainers stand on tall platforms,about 20 ft. up, Kinda like the place that's owned by the first frontier brain but-I-can't-remember-his-name-right-now. The ceiling would be wide open for flying types. It would have some seats in it, but not a lot compared to the average league.

I probably would have a scoreboard like the ones at the leagues, but a much smaller version of it.

A robotic one. Those are cool .

Four each.

Yup.

It would be called the Cumulus badge, with a puffy cloud surrounded by 3 raindrops in a triangular formation.

Nope. I don't know the meaning of going easy XD.

Probably in Hoenn somewhere, I don't really know where exactly. Maybe a secret are around Lilycove or Fortree?

I would sometimes, but not too often.

• What kind of battles would you have single, double, triple or a mix of them like Juan did in Hoenn?

Double battles only.
    Last edited by The Togekiss; 18th September 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Potato.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

I would probably be a multi-type but if I had to choose then grass or psychic if I could have Mewtwo

I would like to have one that changes for every challenger. So one would get ice the other forest

Yeah since it would help.

Official.

It would depend on how many the trainer has. I would match their amount

No just the trainer like the games unless I use something like u-turn

If I was grass type then a raflesia. Psychi would be some kind of psychic thing, and non-specific would somehow include my teams types.

If I had them.

Somewhere in Johto or Unova. City doesn't matter

Maybe for training once in a while or special events but otherwise no.

A mix. It would depend on the trainer

The leaf lives on... JustAnotherLeafeon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, I realize gym leaders usually have a set type. I plan to be different. I will have a well rounded party that should have you strategizing instead of using one well-leveled pokemon to obliterate the team.

The field will have elements of the three starter types - fire, water, and grass. A bit of meadow, a pond and/or a stream, and a volcano.

In all likeliness, no. You should be able to keep track of what's going on yourself.

An official ref, of course.

4 or 5 each.

The opposing trainer will be allowed to switch at any time they choose. I, however, am only allowed to switch out a pokemon only once the entire match.

I would think something along the lines of arrows going around in a circle. I don't really know....

Of course.

I think it would be interesting to set myself up in one of the starting towns, like New Bark or Littleroot. Then I can say that they must become stronger in order to face me. I find that idea amusing.

..... Perhaps. Even gym leaders need a break sometimes.

Just a plain old single battle.
    Once upon a time there was a leafeon. There wasn't anything special about him. He was just a regular leafeon.
    But there's a story behind the leafeon.

Credit where credit is due.
    Oh look. A deviantART.

Advance (my name :3)
    - Electric Type :D
    - Battlefield - a cool, dark forest
    - Scoreboard? No, that's for people who can't count xD
    - Robotic...I don't like people that much...unless the ref. is cute...
    - # of Pokemon: 6. I'll only have one Pokemon anyway, like I always do, and it's so powerful it can one-shot them all (what? it's true :o)
    - No Switching out AT ALL
    - A lightning bolt..?
    - No, I only have one Pokemon...I'd just try to go easy, I guess...I'll one-shot them on accident xd
    - Fortree City, Hoenn (yeah, I know it's flying....whatever xD)
    - I doubt I'll leave that often but...maybe.
    - Single. (I ONLY HAVE ONE POKEKMON xd)

No one would ever get my badge, though...maybe I should become champion instead :o

contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

@Paulisthebest; It would be embarrassing for my gym to lose to a rookie and I also value training as well as battle skill so they should have to prepare to beat me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Paulisthebest; It would be embarrassing for my gym to lose to a rookie and I also value training as well as battle skill so they should have to prepare to beat me.
    I know what you mean, training is essential and if a rookie loses at the gym, it is actually kind of a gift to the leader to see them come back after 5 or 6 other gyms and see how much they have grown. If anything a leader should take pride in knowing that they have something to do with that kind of growth from a trainer that they beat in the past.

I'd give it my all regardless because in the league and E4 I'm pretty sure there are not cuddling moments from either trainer. Since all trainers worked their butts off for 8 badges and one loss means its over, I'm sure holding back is the LAST thing on either ones mind.

So, a gym should give the best example possible for a trainer to prepare for the league.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

I'd use fire types. I love fire types. Or maybe normal.. hm.
    Someplace that has magma, but looks like outer space.
    Yeah, that would be cool.
    A robotic one.
    Three.
    Yeah, it would be allowed.
    A badge that looks like the moon, but with fire on the siding of it, like it was burning.
    No. I'd stay at my level.
    The Unova region or Johto, and for the city... no idea. XD
    No, I'd be serious about being a gym leader. Although an adventure once in a while doesn't sound too bad.
    I'd want single battles. Simple yet efficient.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Blog Entries

Oh, great thread idea.
    Let's see;

Reuniclus
    Espeon
    Gothitelle
    Metagross
    In a clear glass room of some sort with floating paintings -totally not copied from famous artists- and sculptures (hey, it's telekinesis)
    No, it would ruin the look. Plus I'm sure no one will forget the score :P
    An official one.
    4 each

Trainer can, I can only switch once (seems fair)
    Like an eye (think the psychic symbol for the card game, I guess)
    Yes, this is what I believe the gyms in the games do. I would use their previous evolutionary stages for weaker opponents, except for Espeon.
    Castelia city, Unova.
    Yes xD I'd post notices of some sort though
    Singles, doubles or triples. Triples would only allow one replacement though (since there are 4 Pokemon to each side)
    Last edited by Gaga; 19th September 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast