I just don't get it... Why IS Lavender Town so scary? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I just don't get it... Why IS Lavender Town so scary?

Blog Entries

Default Re: I just don't get it... Why IS Lavender Town so scary?

I never found lavender town creepy, maybe because I was older the ten when I first went there. the first few seconds of the music is kinda creepy, but then the "humming" part comes in and I kinda like it. I find the Music that plays In the Unknown Ruins if the radio is used much creeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    1. I don't like it when I try to make a post about my actual fears and have some one mock me for having emotions. It feels like I'm talking to a bunch of robots.

2. Did you not read my original post. I said I wasn't afraid of Lavender Town because of some stupid rumor. I was afraid of this town back when I was seven before the internet was popular and way before any rumor was floating around about Lavender Town (not any I knew of anyways). I was afraid of Lavender Town because it had a ghost that yelled at you to get out, it had people being possessed, it had a creepy girl who said a ghost's hand was on my shoulder and it had music that had high pitch notes and dreary, I'm sorry but that freaks me out. I has fears of ghost and death I'm sorry if I get a little bit terrified because of that.
    Excuse me, I was not mocking, I was just pointing out the obvious.

Just please, calm down, and please do not take our responses that close to heart. If anything, it's only giving you a worse impression.
    Okay, I'll try to be calm about this.

See, when you point out the obvious it can often be thought as insult, like your implying I didn't know. If I say something is something else and it's clearly not then ether I'm being literal and I'm stupid or I'm being metaphorical. You for some reason picked the former, so, it just bugs me when you jump to that former conclusion.

I understand your not trying to be mean it's just, I was trying to be poetic and you kind of ruined it by being so logical. Like, I can't have any deep emotional connection with any form of art because if I try to express what I feel or imagine when I hear or see something I get thrown into a explanation how everything I said was illogical and I shouldn't be like that when faced with any form of emotional expression.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

My intention was never to insult you. Perhaps I did come off as a bit annoyed, and I admit that I was, but I tend to be like that towards everyone.

And where did I call you "stupid"? Please, elaborate for me where exactly and when I said that. I did not once call you an idiot, and if I did, I would have directly said it. But I did not. All I did was point out the obvious that the track was just game boy music that sounds more like dits and dots. As for being poetic, okay then, that's fine. I myself can be like that towards certain things. I now understand that being poetic was your intention. But you know, with the way people constantly hype over the supposed haunted'ness of Lavender Town, it's hard to take these things seriously. And frankly, I'm just about as sick of the whole "Ooohhh, Lavender Town makes people suicidal" crud as everyone else is.

I apologize that I offended you, but please understand that it was not my intention. I got annoyed, I'll admit to that, but I didn't call you stupid.

More importantly, can we just drop this please?

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

it is made up if people really did do suicide then nintendo would of banned it remember what nintendo did to that episode who made people go to hospital thye banned that.

The one thing I don't like about the creepypastas is how unrealistic they are (yet they are written like urban legends which are supposed to be believable). Lavender Town Syndrome is obviously made up because if something like that did happen then not only would Nintendo have at least temporaily banned it, but it would have been all over the news. Yet there is not one mention of it anywhere. Also, the creepypasta says it happened to kids playing the beta version. But Game Freak did not hire any kids so that part never happeend either.

Then there is the spectrogram video with the Missing Frequencies. You can easily hide images in songs, even in those days. But I highly doubt any such image in the game's music actually exists (in fact, it may not be possible with the Game Boy's limitations). Now, suppose that the spectrogram in that video is real (which is quite possible). Probably whoever made the video just edited the music to make the image appear in the spectrogram while he recorded it.

Then all that White Hand / Buried Alive stuff is simply not true because none of the facts make any sense, as if the writer did no research and seems to know very little about Game Boy game data. The Game Boy did not use gif files, wav files, swf files, or any of that so that's a dead giveaway that it's fake. Not to mention that the ROMs have been hacked numerous times and none of it exists.

There is one creepypasta which is actually somewhat believable though, and that is the Gary's Raticate thing. But that sounds like fan speculation... it's unlikely that GameFreak put that in the story. And what happened to Raticate can be explained in other ways as well. Perhaps Gary simply deposited Raticate because it wasn't that good. Or maybe he traded it. Or maybe it died but Red was not the one to kill it, lol

Lost in the numbers :S Jacko19863's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was 3, Sat in a dark room bcuz it was summer, By myself and the music came on for the first time I was like FUUUUUUUUUU, And ran out of our room. I told my sister it was weird. She said she was fine with it, But she said she should of been watching me. Now it doesnt affect me really. My sister showed me the "White hand on the shoulder" Girl while playing the music full blast at 10 at night. God she could be mean, But I was okay bcuz she was still there. Apparently the First versions of Pokemon Green in Japan had a high pitched note in the soundtrack that only little children (Aged 3-12) could hear. It gave them severe headaches & a bit of noggin bleeding.They apparently called them back but there is still some versions out there today. Not that weird, Since it was Nintendo's first pokemon game. How could they of known? It was funny, Because a video on youtube said This track caused litle childen to commit suicide. Lets take a listen ¬.¬

Anyway, Except for the point that I was scared a a little kid and I cried for 10 minutes when I was 3 or 4 when I found out that dead pokemon were there, I wasn't to fazed. I like it how they have the first five seconds of the original soundtrack in HG/SS's lavender town track. Then they change it to upbeat ¬.¬
    I've claimed
    Pokémon
    Zoroark (26/9/12)

Moves
    Earthquake (26/9/12)
    Items
    Tidal Bell (26/9/12)
    DeepSeaTooth (26/9/12)
    Abilities
    Magnet Pull (26/9/12)

As a little kid i never really was scared because of Lavender Town, in fact i liked the place and the music. As of today, however, i hate that place. I mean, when you learn about all the creepypasta you really don't want to spend more time in that town than needed. It's not even that i feel scared but rather 'uneasy'. The music didn't lie when it told you to "LEAVE NOW". Brrrr.

The Lavender Town "Theory" is that in the original R/B/G (Japanese) Versions, there was an extremely high note in the track that only younger ears were capable of hearing. This note sent a subliminal message to the children playing, and apparently a lot of suicides were recorded around that time in younger people, and they had all just reached lavander town

That, and invincible ghosts...

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I find psychologically uncomfortable or eerie things scarier than typical gore/horror, and I don't believe I am the only one of that opinion. The music creates a sense of sadness, vulnerability and fear for me and the idea that there are so many graves and ghosts of much-loved pets/teammates nearby does make me uncomfortable.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits

~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc.~

On this subject, has anyone heard the Reorchestraed version from youtube?
    Lavender Town - Pokémon Reorchestrated - YouTube
    SO EERIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Everywhen View Post
    On this subject, has anyone heard the Reorchestraed version from youtube?
    Lavender Town - Pokémon Reorchestrated - YouTube
    SO EERIE!!!
    Interesting enough, this version isn't nearly as unsettling as the original for me. I just feel like the pitch needs to be way higher than it is here to catch that original feeling.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Trust me, I'm the Doctor. rockman0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ebelle View Post
    I find psychologically uncomfortable or eerie things scarier than typical gore/horror, and I don't believe I am the only one of that opinion. The music creates a sense of sadness, vulnerability and fear for me and the idea that there are so many graves and ghosts of much-loved pets/teammates nearby does make me uncomfortable.
    That's what did it to me. I was about 8 or 9 when I first played Red. When I first stepped into Lavender Town, the music was a bit unsettling, not "I have to leave now" scary, but rather, it sent a bit of a chill down my spine.

Then, you actually get into the town's storyline. The cemetary, abundance of ghost pokemon, everyone talking about how this is the town where dead pokemon are buried, the dead Marowak, and the channelers... all of that combined gave me chills. I personally felt Pokemon Tower's music was scarier. On top of that, the whole monochrome color scheme of the game (due to the gameboy's limitations) didn't help at all. The world as a whole didn't feel nearly as bright and happy as it does now. As a matter of fact, for me, RBY has a sort of chill factor to it as a whole because of the drab monochrome world.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies.
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    When a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the loss.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

I honestly wasn't scared of Lavender Town, ever. But that may have been due to my ignorance as a little kid. I never heard the rumors about Lavender Town's music, I just found out this year.

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post
    That's what did it to me. I was about 8 or 9 when I first played Red. When I first stepped into Lavender Town, the music was a bit unsettling, not "I have to leave now" scary, but rather, it sent a bit of a chill down my spine.

Then, you actually get into the town's storyline. The cemetary, abundance of ghost pokemon, everyone talking about how this is the town where dead pokemon are buried, the dead Marowak, and the channelers... all of that combined gave me chills. I personally felt Pokemon Tower's music was scarier. On top of that, the whole monochrome color scheme of the game (due to the gameboy's limitations) didn't help at all. The world as a whole didn't feel nearly as bright and happy as it does now. As a matter of fact, for me, RBY has a sort of chill factor to it as a whole because of the drab monochrome world.
    Precisely. I was 4 or so when I played Blue and at that point the town just made me uncomfortable to the point where I'd hurry through getting all my business there done so I could shake the chill-inducing sensation off (or even just ask my dad to play that segment of the game for me. No kidding). Honestly, even now the lack of colour in those games contributes to how eerie I find them if I think about it for a few seconds. It's the combination of the story and music and the power of those to create discomfort rather than just fear should not be underestimated.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits

~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc.~

Because of the supposed "high frequencies" that are in the original japanese versions of Red and Green for the Gameboy. They were supposedly edited for the North American version because, according to Creepypasta, it caused a bunch of kids to commit suicide. The original, un-edited version that does not include the frequencies is the real one. The frequencies were added in there for a nice Creepypasta. So now, you can go to sleep! :)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast