Human Psionic Powers In the Pokemon World
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Human Psionic Powers In the Pokemon World

Blog Entries

Default Human Psionic Powers In the Pokemon World

According to the anime, humans with psionic powers (telekinesis and teleportation and possibly others) do exist in the pokemon world. Obviously, their "attacks" are not as strong as a psychic Pokemon's attacks.

My main question is: how would those people be regarded? Feared, respected or admired?

My other question is: are there rules for Pokemon battles that pertain only to psionically gifted trainers? I ask about this because of a psionic link that is hinted between Sabrina and her Pokemon. Obviously, this is more in the grey area, as compared to say, telekinetically deflecting a projectile aimed at your Pokemon or using pyrokinesis to torch the opposing Pokemon or the trainer.

What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

I'm willing to bet that psychic powers in human beings in the Pokémon world has been retconned, or at least reduced drastically (down to only telepathy, mindreading if you will). Possibly because:

1. It makes human beings themselves seem as powerful as Psychic Pokémon, which defeats the purpose of training Pokémon in the first place. Why use a Pokémon to preform a psychic manuver if you can do it yourself?

2. It makes it seem like in order to connect with and train psychic Pokémon, you need psychic powers yourself. Which would limit the kinds of Pokémon you can train (this goes against the rule that any Pokémon you can capture, you can befriend as an ally and use in battle.)

Notice how there hasn't been any hint of humans with god-like psychic powers since the Sabrina Arc?

Also, it appears that aura powers has taken over that aspect of humans with supernatural abilities.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a page in How I Became A Pokemon Card that half-suggests that Giovanni and Persian may be somehow linked, but it may have just been shown that way to illustrate their closeness.

In Special, Morty has psychic powers, but I don't think it connects him with his pokemon any.

I always wanted them to expand on Rui's powers in Colosseum, especially wh she has them/how she got them. You'd think I'd have learned by now that story elaboration isn't really Nintendo's thing.

Blog Entries

About Aura powers, would there be special rules regarding Pokemon battles with them? IE, you can't Aura blast the opposing Pokemon or the trainer.

Also regarding the telepathy, is it against the rules for a psionically gifted trainer to read an opponent's mind and act accordingly?

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think many people have these abilities, or even know of them.

The ones that do are exceptions, so it's in their own judgement to use their powers (or honor or rules of a clan or whatever is the reason they have the powers). Usually they'll play clean becouse their training to get these powers usually requires to know to control themselves.

Now, if someone, for some reason, had these kind of powers and misused them, I'd assume it'd be like any other non-pokemon threat.
    Using it in a battle would be cheating and could probably be penalized in an official one if they find it out. As I guess the trainers interfering in the battle themselves is not allowed (otherwise it wouldn't be a "pokemon" battle after all... I mean, you don't take a gun and threaten the opponent to do a move)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    Usually they'll play clean becouse their training to get these powers usually requires to know to control themselves.

If you are talking about psionic powers, I do believe in the anime, Sabrina's father said this: "You usually have to be born with telekinesis."

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    About Aura powers, would there be special rules regarding Pokemon battles with them? IE, you can't Aura blast the opposing Pokemon or the trainer.

Also regarding the telepathy, is it against the rules for a psionically gifted trainer to read an opponent's mind and act accordingly?
    Well, yeah you make a good point. How powerful a psychic a person is, it doesn't matter because pokemon battling is a type of sport and it has rules.

We've seen witches and Kung-fu fighters who also would be able to fight over the pokemon, yet they too hold their "powers" back in battle. There just are rules, like trying to catch your opponent's pokemon, to the game.

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Apart from Sabrina, there are barely any trainers with significant psychic abilities that can even influence battles even in the games.

I mean most of the psychics you talk to ingame sound like they are just bullshitting you. I mean one guy was says something along the lines of "Look, that spec of dust, I moved it with my mind!"

Most others with prominent powers seem to only be able to communicate with their Pokemon, or with Tate and Liza, each other.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 10th September 2008 at 05:53 PM.

Blog Entries

I dunno, the Sabrina episodes gave me the impression they were some kind of cult. Look at her "throne" and the one guy's behavior around her.
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

Blog Entries

Well, when you can pants people with your mind and also shrink them and put them in a doll house, why not create a cult and sit on a throne.

Though I am wondering under what category of psychic powers does "shrinking" fall under?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage DD View Post
    Though I am wondering under what category of psychic powers does "shrinking" fall under?

I think shrinking falls under the "telekinesis" category; you are manipulating matter with your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage DD View Post
    Apart from Sabrina, there are barely any trainers with significant psychic abilities that can even influence battles even in the games.

Most others with prominent powers seem to only be able to communicate with their Pokemon, or with Tate and Liza, each other.

What about the sprite art from the games? The Psychic trainer class is obviously capable of manipulating Pokeball sized objects. I'd assume that they don't play dirty and limit themselves to fighting with their Pokemon. They won't do something like telekinetically yank off your Pokeballs or pelt you or your Pokemon with rocks.

Also, is a psionic link between the trainer and the Pokemon a legal tactic?

Blog Entries

[/color]

I think shrinking falls under the "telekinesis" category; you are manipulating matter with your mind.
    Telekinesis/Psychokenisis only involves movement of objects though, not something as powerful as shrinking something. I'm pretty sure they can compress objects with their minds, but that's more in the sense of crushing than shrinking.

What about the sprite art from the games? The Psychic trainer class is obviously capable of manipulating Pokeball sized objects. I'd assume that they don't play dirty and limit themselves to fighting with their Pokemon. They won't do something like telekinetically yank off your Pokeballs or pelt you or your Pokemon with rocks.

Its merely a sprite art that shows they are Psychic. Like I said, most of them just seem like a bunch of hacks, or have very little psychic energy. The Sprite art of Psychics moving Pokeballs is probably just to represent the few trainers who actually can do it, or more likely our stereotypical idea of a Psychic in the Pokemon World.

Its not like the entire Poke Maniac Class wears Charizard outfits eventhough they are depicted so in the games.

Why not? Its not as if they can enforce it, nor are the Psychics really doing anything to harm the opponent. All they are doing is giving commands through their minds.

Oh yeah, there was also the Pokemon Seer in Cianwood. Not like her powers can really do anything to help influence battle (atleast to the extent she had revealed to us)
    Last edited by The Outrage; 10th September 2008 at 07:41 PM.

Well, the purpose of the Pokémon journey is the forge a relationship with Pokémon you've caught. The trainer and Pokémon must function as a single unit in order to succeed. A psychic link may be one way acheive this, but there are others, nor does it appear to have any significant advantages over good old-fashioned trust and friendship.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    Well, the purpose of the Pokémon journey is the forge a relationship with Pokémon you've caught. The trainer and Pokémon must function as a single unit in order to succeed. A psychic link may be one way acheive this, but there are others, nor does it appear to have any significant advantages over good old-fashioned trust and friendship.
    Combined with good ol' trust and friendship though.....

Besides, experienced trainers themselves seem to be able to pick up on what their Pokemon is thinking or feeling, hence Sabrina telling the player character that everyone has psychic abilities to some degree, we just don't know it.

It does have an advantage in the sense that you can conceal your strategy much better from your opponent, especailly one you just thought up on the spot. You'd be able to explain it to your Pokemon as they battle without giving away your strategy.

EDIT:
    Okay, so I was looking up the different types of Psionic abilities so I can compare to what we have seen in both Pokemon and Human

First Person Psionics [I] - This type of Psionic ability is personal, as in it is useful only to the user:

Second Person Psionics [You] - This type of Psionic ability can be interpersonal, as in useful or effectual against more than one person:

Most psychic trainers claim to have the third person psionic powers like telekinesis, though they don't really have pyro or electrokinesis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast