How Long Do Pokemon Live? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How Long Do Pokemon Live?

Default Re: How Long Do Pokemon Live?

I think legendaries are immortal, and all Pokémon even bug ones or something like that live a lot, maybe even being immortal too? After all the human characters don't seem to age too. Like, Cynthia. I hear Pokémon BW was some good time after DPPT and she stills looking young.
    I've claimed Falkner :3

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    No we haven't. Even if they have been shown to ventillate (i.e. move air in and out of their bodies) thats never been shown as a requirement for their continued existence (correct me if I'm wrong though), they may just do it out of force of habit or as another layer of body language, like the vampires in Twilight. The same sort of thing goes for eating, which I believe has only been shown to us in the games in the forms of stat-boosting vitamins & pokeblocks.
    This is not Twilight. Enough said.

Yes they do, which is why living organisms regularly replace cells and tissues in their bodies, this is probably the same for pokemon (don't see why it wouldn't be). We don't even knwo we things in our world age so I don't see how you can justify the idea that all pokemon definitely age for X reason, especially when we don't even know what some of them were made of.
    But you just said that those Pokémon only eat in the games but not in the anime! Which in turns means that in the anime they don't have organic functions, which is how living organisms replace their cells. Thus, these kind of Pokémon, instead of replacing their cells, would always be the original matter, so they would inevitably decompose and die.

And we do know how things in our world age: over time, cells fail at their way they replicate themselves so the new ones are slightly "defectuous" in comparison to the previous one, thus the organism phisically changes gradually and its functions work a little less effective, aka aging.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    No we haven't. Even if they have been shown to ventillate (i.e. move air in and out of their bodies) thats never been shown as a requirement for their continued existence (correct me if I'm wrong though), they may just do it out of force of habit or as another layer of body language, like the vampires in Twilight. The same sort of thing goes for eating, which I believe has only been shown to us in the games in the forms of stat-boosting vitamins & pokeblocks.
    How do you form a habit of breathing and eating when you never needed to in the first place? It would make sense for alternate character interpretations of vampires since they once required those things to live but those that never did wouldn't have picked up that habit.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper
    And we do know how things in our world age: over time, cells fail at their way they replicate themselves so the new ones are slightly "defectuous" in comparison to the previous one, thus the organism phisically changes gradually and its functions work a little less effective, aka aging.
    Actually, more like senescence and I recall an experiment done on worms where they induced the production of telomerase caused them to live four times as long, so it is perfectly viable that Pokémon have different biology that would allow them to live longer. They may not even have programmed cell death like we do and may even have more efficient ways of dealing with free radicals...though this may be a better explanation for things like Dragonite and Ninetales which have been shown to live for hundreds of years.

But yeah, if you're going with the logic that they don't eat, there's nothing to replace their damaged cells.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 2nd March 2011 at 10:37 PM.

Registered PokeGeek AuraGuardian's Avatar

I myself am confused about this to, i've never seen a pokemon die in the actual pokemon series and nor has any of the characters aged because if they did i think Prof.Oak would have died a long time ago :P
    Birth Pokemon: Torneros

Claimed Character: Red Eyes(OFFICIAL)
    Claimed Pokemon: Torneros (waiting for it to be OFFICIALLY claimed)

If they dont eat then they cant survive for more then one battle.

ANd we know for a fact that pikachu loves apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
    ...and all Pokémon even bug ones or something like that live a lot, maybe even being immortal too?...
    Pokemon cannot be immortal.Proved by the Pokemon tower in Kanto,Mt Pyre in Hoenn and the Tower of Heavn in Unova

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
    ...Like, Cynthia. I hear Pokémon BW was some good time after DPPT and she stills looking young.
    Aculary,no.
    Assuming that there will be a Hoenn remake in this generation,that would mean that Black and White would be at the same time as Ruby and Saphire.Ruby and Saphire are at the same time as Red and Blue.

Gold and Silver are at the same time as DPPt,which is set 3 years after Red and Blue (which,like ive just said is at the same time RS and BW)

So then I can say that:

Red+Blue-Ruby+Saphire-Black+White.

3 years after:

DPPt-Gold+Silver.

So Cynthia is acculary younger in Black and White than she is in DPPt.
    Last edited by Kingmate; 3rd March 2011 at 05:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingmate View Post

Aculary,no.
    Assuming that there will be a Hoenn remake in this generation,that would mean that Black and White would be at the same time as Ruby and Saphire.Ruby and Saphire are at the same time as Red and Blue.

Or you know, people can just accept game-play and story segregation when it comes to timeline if that were to happen since the events of Pokémon Platinum were explicitly mentioned in the game.

I honestly don't understand how people use non-existent games as points in their arguments over existing material. You talk as if its fact that those games are contemporary when its far from the truth.

And on the issue the poster you quoted pointed out, there may have been some time between DPPt and BW (at least enough for Caitlin to grow up into a young woman)...there's a difference between aging to maturity and senescence. Cynthia's obviously reached mature age at DPPt, after that point in your life, there's very little change a few years could cause to your appearance (versus a child like Caitlin who would mature and change in appearance a lot in a few years). Honestly, I doubt it was more than 5-7 years. Cynthia wouldn't have changed that much.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 4th March 2011 at 12:43 AM.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

Aculary,no.

Gold and Silver are at the same time as DPPt,which is set 3 years after Red and Blue (which,like ive just said is at the same time RS and BW)

So then I can say that:

Red+Blue-Ruby+Saphire-Black+White.

3 years after:

DPPt-Gold+Silver.

You realize this makes absolutely no sense, right? How do you explain Caitlin being older than she is in DPPt in BW with this logic?

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    since the events of Pokémon Platinum were explicitly mentioned in the game.
    My Jap is bad,sorry to get in your knickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    I honestly don't understand how people use non-existent games as points in their arguments over existing material..
    Incase you missed it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingmate
    Assuming that there will be a Hoenn remake in this generation,
    The key word is 'Assuming'.Im making use of past games to predict the futre.People use it all the time in real life.Red and Green were remade.Gold and silver were remade which were a generation after Red and Green.So then based on this I can
    predict that there will be a remake of Ruby and Saphire,which are a generation after Gold and Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trinity Fire
    You realize this makes absolutely no sense, right? How do you explain Caitlin being older than she is in DPPt in BW with this logic?
    How can I make it easier?

Red and Blue.
    Ruby and Saph.
    Black and White.

3 years later

DPPt
    Gold and Silver.

And again:

Red and Blue.
    Ruby and Saph.
    Black and White.-Appers here

3 years later

DPPt-Cynthia apears here later
    Gold and Silver.-Cynthia apears here a few months later

[QUOTE=Dark Trinity Fire]How do you explain Caitlin[QUOTE]

Who? I think we are talking about Cynthia here.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

Who? I think we are talking about Cynthia here.
    *facepalm*

Hm, let me see if I can make this easier for you.

In Black and White, Caitlin from the Battle Frontier in Sinnoh (Pt)/Johto (HGSS) is an Elite Four and looks considerably older than her appearance in Platinum/HGSS. Infact, she actually implies how she used to be part of the BF. Thus, Black and White chronologically take place after DPPt.

So, what does that mean? It means that Cynthia is older in Black and White.

We're very concerned. Bittersweet's Avatar

Follow Bittersweet on Tumblr

@ Kingmate

Black and White have been confirmed to take place in a new time period, 3 or so years AFTER DPPtHGSS.

RS
    FRLG

3 years later

DPPt
    HGSS

3 years later

BW

My Gold Trainer Card (Pokémon X) :)

Blog Entries

Incase you missed it:

The key word is 'Assuming'.Im making use of past games to predict the futre.People use it all the time in real life.Red and Green were remade.Gold and silver were remade which were a generation after Red and Green.So then based on this I can
    predict that there will be a remake of Ruby and Saphire,which are a generation after Gold and Silver.
    I didn't miss it, but here's the thing, you may have said "assuming" but everything you said was stated as fact as if your assumption was true. "Actually no" isn't a statement of assumption, its a statement of fact. Just because you put the word "assuming" doesn't make your using a non-existent game as evidence for anything more valid, especially when ignoring in-canon evidence. Your problem is you assume your assumption to be true. Someone says they hear BW takes some time after DPPt, you respond with "Actually no", that isn't an assumption, that's you outright saying "No, that's wrong, here's what happened" except you go on to justify your claim of fact with a non-existant game. You can look at trends all you want, it doesn't make it true.

Two points isn't a trend either, especially when remaking games that are closely tied with each other, and essentially remaking the games that Satoshi Tajiri had the most say in.

And here's the thing, you can assume all you want, it doesn't change the explicitly stated facts that you were ignorant about.

How can I make it easier?
    How can DTF make it easier >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Bttsstewart View Post

3 years later

BW
    I don't recall it ever being stated three years, and I honestly doubt it is.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 4th March 2011 at 10:48 AM.

A whole load of Hoopa Hyperion09's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Hyperion09 On Twitter
    Follow Hyperion09 on Tumblr Visit Hyperion09's Youtube Channel

But with Watortle and Ninetales' lifespan. . . WTF?

Real-world chelonians (turtles etc.) live a long time in our world.
    And we all know what Ninetales is based on.

Also, there was an 85-year-old Treecko in Colosseum iirc

LiveJournal | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingdomkid
    I thought air was free but they sell them in plastic bags and comes with a hand full of chips!!

Blog Entries

To all those discussing the timeframes of the games: This is NOT the place for that. It's one thing to relate them to lifespans, but let's not go completely off the path here.

Blog Entries

So I caught the special Darmanitan in BW.

Juniper states that they've been hibernating since before the Relic Castle was in ruins, approximating their age to be 2500 years old, older than what the Pokedex estimates Ninetales to be.

Yeah, they were technically in a state of meditative hibernation, but that means these Pokemon may have existed since Zekrom and Reshiram's original split.

Remember that when the Burned Tower actually burned down, Entei, Suicune, and Raikou were in it and they died, then Ho-oh revived them, and they were then destined to roam forever. So some pokemon have the power to revive the dead, and even some legendaries can die.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast