How Long Do Pokemon Live? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How Long Do Pokemon Live?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How Long Do Pokemon Live?

I doubt that Pokémon are immortal (except for maybe legendaries, and even that could be disputed in some cases). I think they age at a similar rate as humans, save for a couple of exceptions. Of course, there's probably some variation for each individual species.

As for the anime, given how people (most notably Ash) don't seem to age despite time obviously flowing, I'd say that Pokémon don't age either. Although, there have been a few instances where some Pokémon were clearly shown to be old(er).

There are some instances where a Pokémon's Pokédex entry specifies its lifespan, but I somewhat question the credibility of that; we all know how exaggerated they can be.

All in all, I'd say that it differs not only from species to species, but also between individual Pokémon.

Insert Witty Title Here Azure Butterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I personally think that they all have a certain normal life expectancy in the wild, but when they're caught by a human, it changes. They form a bond with the trainer and only die when the trainer dies.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

I'd say small bugs can live up to 10 years and bigger bugs can last around 20. Pokémon like Pikachu and the other rodents (Nido's, early routes, Pika-clones) live around 30 years, bigger mammals and birds (say Growlithe/Arcanine, Ponyta/Rapidash, Staraptor) would live for about 30-40 years, starters should live more or less the same as a human being, Pokémon like SNorlax living 50-80 years and Pokémon based on real life long runners (elephants, turtles, whales) living up to 200 years.

Then Rock and Steel Pokémon, I don't know. Minerals last millions of years, but of course, that doesn't mean they have to stay alive, so I'd say they live around 100-150 years.

In the case of Ghost Pokémon we've been told and shown that they're not actual ghosts (as in the out-of-their-body resurrected spirits of deceased Pokémon) but rather ghost-like. They still breathe, eat and everything else so even those who are nonmatterial (is that the correct word?) must have some sort of biological functions and organs (even if they are also nonphysical) as well as some sort of energy that eventually will fade away. I think they should be really longlived, but at much I'd say 500 years.

And the same goes for artifical Pokémon, despite people saying that they must be inmortal due to not aging because they're not organical, let's remember that: 1) EVERYTHING eventually decomposes, and 2) Machines tend to malfunction after some years, as metals catch rust, mechanical parts wear away, et cetera. Plus, even those cases that were artificially created are supposed to only the species (rather than every individual of it) being created artificially, but after coming to life they behave like any other Pokémon/animal: they eat, sleep and mate (so newer individuals are actually biologically born, not man created), so I assume even those have acquired some organic structure and thus, have a limited biological lifespan: they have a metal/plactic skin, but they still have internal organs made of blood and flesh. Which means that in my opinion they die even if they don't show aging. My theory is that they should live for about 50 years with some maybe pushing 100.

For legendary, non-god Pokémon, I'll go for 1000 years, and god Pokémon being of course, inmortal (at least in terms of aging, I think they're still killable through Arceus' Judgement or divine stuff like that).

Those are my two cents. W/E, for your fic if you're basing it on the animeverse and canon, then I'd say 20 or 30 years in the future everyone of Ash's Pokémon should still be alive, maybe Pikachu and Ash's birds having become really old (maybe so old they can't fight no more, but other than that, perfectly healthy) and many of them still relatively young or useful in battle (namely his starters, Torkoal, Snorlax and whatnot). If you do want one of his Pokémon having died of old age, I'd say his bugs (Heracross and Sewaddle) and his crabs (krabby and Corphish).

Hope my perspective is useful to you. Cheers.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Obviously, Pokémon live only as long as the game cartridge. Now deal.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    In the case of Ghost Pokémon we've been told and shown that they're not actual ghosts (as in the out-of-their-body resurrected spirits of deceased Pokémon) but rather ghost-like. They still breathe, eat and everything else so even those who are nonmatterial (is that the correct word?) must have some sort of biological functions and organs (even if they are also nonphysical) as well as some sort of energy that eventually will fade away. I think they should be really longlived, but at much I'd say 500 years.
    No we haven't. Even if they have been shown to ventillate (i.e. move air in and out of their bodies) thats never been shown as a requirement for their continued existence (correct me if I'm wrong though), they may just do it out of force of habit or as another layer of body language, like the vampires in Twilight. The same sort of thing goes for eating, which I believe has only been shown to us in the games in the forms of stat-boosting vitamins & pokeblocks.

Ghost pokemon could quite easily be lifeforms which originate in some way from the souls/bodies [or both] of deceased pokemon and/or humans. There is no hard evidence one way or the other, its all speculation and insinuation.

1) EVERYTHING eventually decomposes
    Yes they do, which is why living organisms regularly replace cells and tissues in their bodies, this is probably the same for pokemon (don't see why it wouldn't be). We don't even knwo we things in our world age so I don't see how you can justify the idea that all pokemon definitely age for X reason, especially when we don't even know what some of them were made of.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

2664-2340-0333 SV{153} Pyroclastic Friend's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend On Twitter
    Follow Pyroclastic Friend on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Then Rock and Steel Pokémon, I don't know. Minerals last millions of years, but of course, that doesn't mean they have to stay alive, so I'd say they live around 100-150 years.
    Like Lucario, or Scizor?

No pokemon except for legenaries and ghosts are except from the reality of aging and death.

Blog Entries

I imagine them living ~30 years for bug types. Human lifespan (~80 or so) for most everything else. Ghost types and synthetic pokémon can probably live for centuries.

I can easily imagine the lesser Legendaries living for centuries if not millennia. The "divine" Legendaries (Giratina, Arceus, Palkia, Dialga, Groudon, Rayquaza, Kyogre, Regigigas, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem) are probably ageless and immortal.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Given the frequent references to very old pokémon, and how they are stated to be "lifelong partners", I say many of them outlive humans.

I take 100-200 years as a base. And for the longest non-ageless I can see Relicanth taking the idea of "living fossil" to the extreme of it.

starters should live more or less the same as a human being
    Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise lives absurdly long. Perhaps 50000 is an exaggeration, but I see it easilly outliving *many* generations and centuries to gain such a reputation.

Besides, I just like the idea of thinking the random Graveller that just exploded on me may be ancient and seen a lot.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 28th February 2011 at 11:59 AM.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGrunt78 View Post
    No pokemon except for legenaries and ghosts are except from the reality of aging and death.
    You forget one exception: Porygon.

Porygon is a virtualized Pokemon-simulation program that act like normal Pokemon, but in fact Porygon (and its evolution lines) is merely a computer program in more correct technical sense.

Therefore, Porygon is the only non-legendary non-ghost (also non-steel non-rock type) Pokemon that may live forever, as long as its trainer (or may be any IT technician) go have a check, "defrag" and "optimize" regularly to prevent malfunction. (Though I never heard Porygon went malfunction, except to some extreme cases of being attacked by computer virus or such...)
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

In the Anime, Relicanth was discovered in some ancient cave. Someone said that it had lived for like 100,000 years didn't they? This was during AG, can't really remember too well.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

Blog Entries

I think that artificial pokemon like the Magnemite line can live for a long time since they don't necessarily need the same things that a regular pokemon does (like pokemon food.) I'm sure that Pokemon can die from an illness or from old age but I think that they can live for a really long time.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

HAS RETURNEEEEDDD!!!! AlexandraTheZoroark's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think most Poké's can live as long as their human partners. Like us humans, many of them don't last forever. They get diseases like we do, so it is likely that Pokémon die. The best example is the Lost Tower, which has the graves of dead Pokémon.

But with Watortle and Ninetales' lifespan. . . WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Dragon Blade View Post
    Like Lucario, or Scizor?
    Well, Lucario and Scizor probably have the same lifespan as a human, unlike other Steel-types.
    Formerly LucarioGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I am writing a paper on dakimakuras.

I've only written four paragraphs, but it's already five pages long...
    deviantART|Scratch|YouTube|Fanclub

Aur
    Follow Aur On Twitter
    Follow Aur on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Obviously, Pokémon live only as long as the game cartridge. Now deal.
    Aha. I don't think pokemon really "die", when their with their trainers. If their trainer dies, they probably die, like other people have said.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I imagine they will live forever, but only because it seems like this in the games (because all gym leaders still have the same Pokemon throughout the years) and the anime (where age is not a movable object). However, I would guess that most bugs have a short life, like Butterfree and Beedrill, considering how fast they can be developed. Some might last long, like the tortoise Pokemon, because tortoises live a long life.

As for Mineral-based Pokemon, this is tricky, because inorganic objects are incapable of becoming decomposed, so I guess they have the potential to live long lives. I am guessing the more organic of the bunch will live shorter like Golem and Snorunt, while some like Gigalith and Probopass takes longer to go old.

Now the trickier group: the Indeterminate Group. The reason being that most of them are Ghosts, and while I can envision those Ghosts dying (like fading away), they might have the potential to live forever. Some of the odder ones like Wobbuffet and Reuniclus seems like they can also live forever, because their bodies look like they can regenerate by itself.

Even trickier is Legendary Pokemon. When seeing them, I am sure they might be seen as immortal, seeing as how they cannot breed. However, since the 2nd Movie showed Legendary children, this means they are as mortal as other Pokemon, so I am guessing that they may have Red XIII lifespan.

Thanks for reading.
    "True loss is for him whose days have been spent in utter ignorance of his self."

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast