How intelligent are pokemon?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How intelligent are pokemon?

Default How intelligent are pokemon?

Most mediums seem to portray that pokemon can understand human speech and reason at least on some level, so I personally think that most pokemon are a lot smarter than ordinary animals, maybe even as smart as humans. Maybe not all of them are as smart as humans, but it's been stated that Dragonite at least is at that level. I also think that it's possible that some pokemon may even have societies of their own (ie Clefairy), but most have chosen to live a simpler life by nature (as is often the way of spirit-like things).

Thank you Jolty for the banner!
    Pokémon Messageboards I Visit:
    Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden ~ Serebii's Pokemon Page
    My LiveJournal
    "Stop making us have sex with each other in your fanfictions." ~Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance
    "I am dead serious. I am not that pretty." ~Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

The Psychic Types clearly are just as intelligent as, if not more intelligent than, most humans. Mammals show degrees of intelligence in our world (dolphins, dogs, horses, etc). If the Pokémon have supernatural abilities to manipulate and control various elements such as air, water, fire, and ice, then it stands to reason that their mental faculties would be higher than those of normal animals.

I think they are smart but WAY too sensitive, seriously I never seen so many crybaby pokemon in my life XD
    Tony [Blaze]

It is like Totally Pokemon :D

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

What do we mean by intelligent?

Certainly, they are able to recognize simple verbal commands (Attack names) - somethign that can be done (with dogs). They also seem to be highly empathic, that is, to be able to comfort their trainer when he is distressed. That is not PARTICULARLY exceptional; I've seen much the same from several cats.

I'd say that with some clear exceptions (psychics, dragons), they are mostly animal in terms of basic intelligence, but particularly apt to being taught tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Some know more than attack names. Meowth knows how to talk like a human and I think I saw him drive once (someone confirm that, I'm not sure if I'm right or not). And Pikachu knows charades.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but there's evidence that both of them are "special" pokémon; above and apart from others of their kind. I don't think TR-Meowth and Ash's rat can be taken as evidence of anything for their overall species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

I've seen pokemon recognize speech that's a lot more complicated than a simple attack name (espeically Ash's pikachu). The Red Gyarados, which I don't think is supposed to be particularly intelligent, seemed able to understand what Ash was saying at some point.

Thank you Jolty for the banner!
    Pokémon Messageboards I Visit:
    Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden ~ Serebii's Pokemon Page
    My LiveJournal
    "Stop making us have sex with each other in your fanfictions." ~Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance
    "I am dead serious. I am not that pretty." ~Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Oh dear! He called Pikachu Ash's rat! The blasphemy! *shock*

^_~;

I believe most pokémon are above the average intelligence of Earth's most intelligent animals: ie dogs and dolphins. Some Pokémon especially, like Alakazam, Mewtwo, the Legendaries have almost human intelligence, if not more than us humans.

Blog Entries

Wasn't it Alakazam that the Pokedex says has an IQ of 1000? Or something like that.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Silverblade
    Yeah, but there's evidence that both of them are "special" pokémon; above and apart from others of their kind. I don't think TR-Meowth and Ash's rat can be taken as evidence of anything for their overall species.
    I disagree about Meowth being "special." Remember that he interacted with that wild group of Meowth and the Persian leader as a peer. Also, when he translates the speech of other Pokémon, the result tends to be a lot more complex than that of any animal. Don't forget that Pokémon have their own language. Yes, many animals do to an extent, but those calls certainly do not involve any higher-level cognitive skill (i.e. they have calls for "danger" or "food," but nothing more complex).

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster

Pokémon language is conveyed in more media that speech - or at least not just simple syllables - there are so few available to each species. And still each species is universally understood. Perhaps there are some chemical language (pheromones etc.) involved. Body language certainly. (Reminds me of a joke about the Japanese language: "The people of Sony and Nissan and Toyota did not get where they are today by wafting incense back and forth. The Japanese people speak and write to each other as other literate peoples do." Here, it's the complete opposite.)

Hmm. Perhaps that's one way to distinguish Pokémon from non-Pokémon -- if a species can understand all given Pokémon languages, then it is a Pokémon.

Another measure of alien intelligence is the mirror test. I don't think any Pokémon could possibly fail the mirror test - i.e. not even recognise themselves.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Belldandy
    Wasn't it Alakazam that the Pokedex says has an IQ of 1000? Or something like that.
    I think so, yes.

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

Actually, it's 5000. Which I don't think is actually valid. Then again, how would you measure it?

Blog Entries

Maybe they measure IQs differently or give different (and higher) scores than we do.

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin
    Another measure of alien intelligence is the mirror test. I don't think any Pokémon could possibly fail the mirror test - i.e. not even recognise themselves.
    If I remember correctly, Noctowl didn't do too well....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast