How do you think battles as play out?

Thread: How do you think battles as play out?

Blog Entries

Default How do you think battles as play out?

A lot of medias, if not all, show them as being..Well, fights. You dodge, block, fight back an attack, etc. Even Stadium 2 shows it like that in its credits.

I've always thought of them as being more turn-based like though.
    Last edited by Somari; 1st October 2010 at 03:22 AM.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you think battles as play out?

I think that the games and the non-games (as in anime and manga so far) have their own style of play, so I tend to look at them as if they are different worlds, because trying to relate both of them would mean that there would be many inconsistencies, like speed differences and power levels.

As for me, because I am more involved in the game scenes more, I would prefer to think of battles as a turn based point of view. I think if battles are turn based, then if it's adapted into real life, I can see the judge putting down the flag and the trainers immediately saying the orders to the Pokemon, kind of like a quick draw situation.

Blog Entries

I like the anime style of battling, because turn based reminds me of the old war tactics with muskets and stuff. Fire, fire back, no dodging allowed- it just isn't as unique as the constant changing atmosphere of constant fighting.
    My Black Team

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

Even though I see them turn-based in the games, I favor the way the anime does it. Unorganize fighting looks much more real and brutal that "pokemon one attacks and pokemon two attacks then." Even if Gamefreak makes the in-game pokemon move all time... Wait did they do that in Black and White? Well, the battles still look like two Metapods that don't have the slightest idea when to hit each other. Then again, I'm not sure pixels can go agaisnt fully drawn animation. I really wanted a new battle system then pokemon just brake dancing endlessy.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

Even the games have described battles as "anything goes" and "no holds barred" and similar. The turn based system is a game abstraction, even the games don't seem to hold onto it being the real way of things.

Not only would it make for a supremely uninteresting sport, it would also be pretty unfair with the massive size differentials involved. Stats are a game abstraction, too. A pokemon two feet tall isn't going to beat something the size of a house in a turn based face punching contest, it'd get squished. It might have a chance in a mobile fight, though, being faster and hard to hit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lezard View Post
    Even the games have described battles as "anything goes" and "no holds barred" and similar. The turn based system is a game abstraction, even the games don't seem to hold onto it being the real way of things.

Not only would it make for a supremely uninteresting sport, it would also be pretty unfair with the massive size differentials involved. Stats are a game abstraction, too. A pokemon two feet tall isn't going to beat something the size of a house in a turn based face punching contest, it'd get squished. It might have a chance in a mobile fight, though, being faster and hard to hit.
    How true. Speed would be pointless in turn based fights, real-life. Could you imagine a ratatta's super fang biting off half of wailord?
    My Black Team

Non-perverted Lopunny fan Ground Control's Avatar

I always imagined the battles as they happen in the anime. No real "levels". You just need to train your Pokemon's stamina and so forth. As The games just so happen to divise a fairer way to battle, so an expert can't gang up on a beginner with one move after the other, you know? I also prefer the Pokemon saying their name thing, as cheesy as it sometimes is.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I always imagined the battles as they happen in the anime. No real "levels". You just need to train your Pokemon's stamina and so forth. As The games just so happen to divise a fairer way to battle, so an expert can't gang up on a beginner with one move after the other, you know? I also prefer the Pokemon saying their name thing, as cheesy as it sometimes is.
    Great way of putting it. This is also how I picture it, I think that if we went by the games' standards, there would be and awful lot of standing around, which doesn't help to make and intense fight.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Blog Entries

I kind of see the battles as real-time. You need to think on your feet to command your pokémon (or allow them to battle on their own).
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

I kind of see the battles as real-time. You need to think on your feet to command your pokémon (or allow them to battle on their own).
    Yeah, this seems about right.
    Congratulations. You just wasted 10 seconds of your life reading this pointless piece of non-useful, insanity bringing, garbage can worthy, antilulzy piece of utter, maggotridden fail.

Dawn's number 1 fan™ dawn empoleon's Avatar

I favour the games battle style..

Credit to katsu koneko for the amazing banner.
    'No need to worry!'