How did you get into pokemon? - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How did you get into pokemon?

Blog Entries
    Follow RainbowSylveon On Twitter Add RainbowSylveon on Facebook
    Follow RainbowSylveon on Tumblr Visit RainbowSylveon's Youtube Channel

Default Re: How did you get into pokemon?

I was around 4 years old, and my dad bought me a pack of Pokemon cards (I have no idea why he did; I guess he thought I'd like them, which I did). Then, he somehow got Pokemon Red and Blue to play on the computer. It wasn't via emulator, since they had the borders around them that you see when you play them in Stadium. I still to this day have no idea how he did it.

Then it all escalated from there. xDDD I'm 20 now, and my dad still sends me Pokemon stuff for my birthday.
    Claims: Oshawott, Ice Body, Magmarizer, Griseous Orb (July 1, 2012) Cross Poison (September 26, 2012)

Tumblr | Twitter | Playthrough Blog

Fennekindle ==> RainbowSylveon

Princess in trainin' Dolce's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dolce On Twitter
    Follow Dolce on Tumblr Visit Dolce's Youtube Channel

I'm not too sure. I think I was like 7 or so (I don't remember at all) and found a pack of Pokemon cards. And after getting the cards I found that the series had games, and I ended up buying red...and I've been hooked since then. ^^ And I actually still have the first holographic card I got. Which was a Kangaskhan. :D

IGN: Dolce, 3DS FC: 4554-1270-5039
    Entertainment, Inc.Global Trade Station

Cats: The Original Trolls Aldo512's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Aldo512 On Twitter

I think I was about six or seven when I saw a clip of the anime playing on a TV in a corner store near my house. Then I forgot about it for a few weeks until I saw it again while watching TV at home. After that I started buying packs of Pokemon cards until my birthday when I got a gameboy and Pokemon Blue. And the rest is a long boring story that eventually lead here.

Ѵαηqμίşℎℯr ℴƒ ℳℴrℸαℓş Black Dragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When i was 4, my older brother introduced it to me. My first game was Yellow. I've played every game after that.

~~ℱℴrღαℓℓϒ ℸℎℯ ℸωίℓίℊℎℸ ķηίℊℎℸ~~

The Antisocial Hermit Spontaneous Combusken's Avatar
    Follow Spontaneous Combusken On Twitter
    Follow Spontaneous Combusken on Tumblr

It was funny, i had no interest in pokémon at first. My mom pretty much told me it was evil/stupid/bad so i never gave much thought to it. Until one December when my mom bought pokémon diamond for my cousin for Christmas because he was always into pokémon. (at the time, i was more focused on trying to get her to get me a copy of yoshi's island DS then on pokémon so i still wasn't giving much thought to it). At the christmas party, i watched him play the new game and i was really interested in it after watching him get all the way to oreburgh city. I told my mom i might want a pokémon game too, but she pretty much shot down that idea.
    It wasn't until the summer of 2009 that i got my first game. My older sister invited my brother and i to have a sleep over at her house. She was letting us play with some DS games she had recently obtained and as i was looking through the games, a found a copy of pokémon pearl. Well, i was pretty much addicted right away. The game already had a saved file on it, but the only part that had been played through was the beginning part. So i played through the whole game as the heroine named Red Kar (they seriously named the girl that) with her starter turtwig named FRIGGIN (again, they seriously named it that) and her disobedient roserade, drifloon, and remoraid that had been traded to the game before i acquired it. And let me tell you, i was terrible at playing pokémon,(I.E. i wouldn't evolve pokémon if they got "ugly when they grow up" and i pretty much went through the whole game using an over-leveled shinx nicknamed "Cutie". I mean that thing was lvl. 72 by the time i was done) but i loved that game to bits. Seriously, there is like, 445 hours on that saved file.

I didn't get into the anime till a few months later when my cousin told me about it. I found a DVD of it at our library and checked it out since it was pokémon. It was volume 3 of the DVD set of DP so i started at the episode where ash was retrying to get his first gym badge. I remember thinking how it was "wrong" because it was so inaccurate from the game but loving the fact that ash had a turtwig, that dawn was the same girl you play as in the game and thinking that she should have a shinx, and i kept waiting for ash to put pikach in a pokéball.

And then i found out about the wonderment that is pokémon shippings thanks to facebook. *shot* but actually, i was really interested when i was introduced to the fandom. All the wonderful fanart, fanfics, and all the creative and artistic things that the fandom produces. I love the games, manga, anime (to an extent), but what i love the most is all the stuff the fandom creates for it because it's so nice to see all the people who love pokémon contribute something to it.

Now i'm such a poké-nut. I have almost all the game, lacking red, blue, green, gold, and silver as well as 5 pokémon plushies (one of them being a giant piplup) various guide books, a poster, a t-shirt, and a shaymin key-chain that i wear everyday along with my pokéwalkers. I love pokemon so much that i named my pet rabbit "Buneary". I'm serious.

AND I STILL WILL NOT EVOLVE MY LVL.72 SHINX BABY!!!!
    The Togekiss likes this.

3DS FC: 3695-0070-1064

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

It all started at the lunch tables in 2nd grade.
    Oh my god. I seriously just realized something.
    That wasn't where it started. How could i have gotten into Pokemon then when I had a Pichu lunchbag? Well that was when I started collecting the cards. That tale is for a different time...
    Most of my early school memories are foggy :/
    OMG! I JUST REMEMBERED!
    It all started one day in FIRST grade. It was really early in the school year I think. I remember some kids were playing make-believe.
    I asked them what they were doing. and they were playing make-believe, with Pokemon. I did't really know what Pokemon was...but I joined. I asked what Pokemon I should be. They said I could be a Butterfree, and it had "wind powers"
    And I remember some mean kid came up and I told him to go away cuz I was a Butterfree and I had powers of wind!
    I lol when I look back at that day XD.
    But Butterfree has always held a special place in my heart, and it was my first pokemon plushie I got ^3^.
    I remember being obsessed with drawing Pokemon, and i would watch the anime, and I got into it more in 2nd grade, when I got my first pokemon cards. I would spend all recess studying them XD. and me and my best friend would play make-believe (I still love playing make-believe. don't judge). We were magical shape-shifting Pichu. I would always turn into a Grovyle, running super fast around the playground. Grovyle has been my favorite grass-type since then.
    I had been begging my parents for ANY sort of video games and they were like NO.i got my first Pokemon game in 4th grade,for christmas. I got a Pink DS lite and Blue mystery dungeon. Then I got Explorers of time a few months later(I'm a level 100 Empoleon on there :D).
    Then I got my first main-series game in August of that same year.
    Platinum. My starter was of course, an Empoleon, my favorite Pokemon at the time, along with Grovyle.
    That very game now has a living pokedex and as many hours as there were Pokemon at the time. I have an extreme emotional attachment to that game.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it was waaay back in elementary school, when I was 5 (I think, may have been a little older).
    There were two boys sitting down in the hallways, where we were to ait for out teacher in the mornings. One had some Pokémon cards, and they were talking about them. I inquired about these strange creatures and they said, "Pokémon. It isn't for girls." Well, too bad, boys, because you had be curious.

Skip to a few weeks later when I found a plastic Pichu on the ground. The boys were in their usual spot, so I asked them about this cute little critter. Now, I knew Pikachu; everyone did. So I asked, "Hey, what's this thing? It looks kinda like Pikachu."
    "That's a Pichu. It evolves into Pikachu."

I had no idea what 'evolving' was, but I wasn't about to ask. Instead I did some research the next time I went to the store. My curiosity grew; I watched the show. I saw the movies. I played a game or two (not a lot of money at the time for my own, though). Before you knew it I was hooked.
    I still have that Pichu; it's on my dresser. I found it in a box a few years back, surprised it had survived all those years. It's pretty much the symbol of my childhood now.
    Last edited by Miles101; 29th September 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Visit IceShadow1199's Youtube Channel

When I watched the Pokemon anime as a kid, I LOOOOOVED it. Then, when I heard about Pokemon Emerald, I downloaded a rom of it. Then there were other Pokemon games, I downloaded some roms and became a Pokemon fan.
    I love Ice and Ghost pokemon! :P Feels cold and scary....

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

I forgot how old I was, probably around 6 or 7, I was just watching TV then suddenly "Pokémon is coming up next on Cartoon Network!" it announced. I thought "Well, I have nothing against Pokémon and I have nothing better to do so, why not?" It was season 1 episode 1. I loved every second of it and I watched the whole Indigo League series and memorized the theme song. And my cousins had a bunch of Pokémon stuff.
    Last edited by Vanillish Twilight; 30th September 2012 at 04:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

My earliest Pokemon-related memory is finding a Poliwrath card on the bus and ripping it to shreds when I was in kindergarten. This girl dropped it, and I thought it'd be funny to turn it into confetti... I had problems when I was five-year-old (I also ripped up a dollar bill). She was majorly upset, so I told my mom about what I did and we decided to buy her Pokemon stickers and a pack of cards to apologize. The girl was very thankful, and she gave me a plush cat and a set of pencils with animals on them to show her gratitude. Fact is, I hated Pokemon when I was a little kid. I don't remember the exact reason—I think I just assumed it was really dumb. Then again, I had no idea the video games even existed. I just thought it was a silly card game and a cartoon. My mom would also always imitate Pikachu to get on my nerves.
    In fourth grade, I was seated with a girl who would always bring her Gameboy on the bus and play Sapphire. I thought it was entertaining to watch, and I developed a slight interest in it. The girl also started giving me cards that she didn't want—I recall obtaining an Articuno and a Zapdos and handing them out to my friends, since I had no idea how rare they were or whatever. Another card she gave me was an Alakazam, which I traded to one of my friends for an Onix. For some reason, I fell in love with Onix, and it became my first favorite Pokemon. I still own that Onix card I was traded—in fact, I have it framed. After that, my interest in Pokemon continued to strengthen, and my parents got me copies of Pearl and Channel for my tenth birthday. My first Pokemon in a game was a male Turtwig named LINDABOB (I think one of my friends told me to name it that), which I ended up releasing for a stupid reason. A few days after my birthday, I purchased Blue Rescue Team and FireRed with the money I had received from my aunts and uncles. Blue Rescue Team quickly became my favorite of the four games (I loved being able to play as a Pokemon) and I played as a Totodile, which replaced Onix as my favorite Pokemon. At that point, I knew pretty much nothing about Pokemon, and now that I look back at it, it was so much fun to explore Pearl and Blue Rescue Team and discover and learn about every Pokemon. I wish I could experience that again... maybe if a Generation VI is announced, I'll avoid every spoiler and reveal until the games are released.

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

I got interested when we had to wake up early, and the anime was always on. That made me like it. Then, a kid at school was showing off his cards. I begged him for one, and he eventually gave me a Drowzee. Of course, I traded it the day I got it. :p And I was really gettin' into Pokemon then. Later, my friend gave me his spare Gameboy Color, and I received Pokemon Yellow & Silver for my birthday. And now, I stand before you today as a bigger fan than yourself. :{)

Avatar By: BlueDragon Icee071399's Avatar

One day when I had nothing to watch on Tv and I stumbled upon it and I kept watching it because it was interesting.

Credit to the Power Of Aura for the awesome signature! Visit Aura's Art Shop for Banners, Signatures, and much more! :)
    White FC: 0691-2670-9787 SoulSilver FC: 3955-4434-6434

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

I was 6 and saw the ads for the anime dub on Kids WB and then a preview of episode several days after that. I really liked it so I watched the dub premiere and got hooked after that. I first only watched the anime and then got my first TCG set for Christmas. Then the first movie was released and heard about the games through a commercial. I bought my first game , Pokemon Red, in March of 2000 when I was 7. It was a joined birthday gift for me and my two brothers since our birthdays are only a month apart. We all got Gameboy Colors and were allowed to pick one game. I picked Pokemon Red, my older brother picked Pokemon Blue and my little bro got Mario Gallery 3 instead of a Pokemon game. It would be till a bit later when he got into Pokemon when we all got Pokemon Yellow.And then after that the franchise stuck on to me and now I'm 20 and still play to this day.

Blog Entries
    Follow FinalSynFrey On Twitter
    Visit FinalSynFrey's Youtube Channel

When my mom came home from the Flea Market, she bought like 5 VHS tapes of the Original Pokemon season. I watched all FIVE of them and I got hooked on to It. Later on, I discovered that Cartoon Network was airing Pokemon and that's when I began to follow the series. As for the Pokemon games, I got Pokemon Blue as a gift and I got addicted to that, almost instant. So many countless hours playing that.

I really can't say how old i was when i first heard or even played Pokemon, even though i most likely was about 4~ish. Funny thing was that i did not even get to know it through the Anime or through friends but through that weird commercial. You know, the one with the bus-driver? That squashes Pickachu and co. into a Gameboy Color? Ye. No idea why that was appealing to my 4 year old self.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast