How did you get into pokemon? - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How did you get into pokemon?

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How did you get into pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Nintendo Official Magazine
    This is exactly what introduced me to Pokemon when the craze hit the UK. Having gotten into video games fairly late into the 90's, I started to collect Nintendo Official Magazine every month; I remember that my very first issue had Mario Party on the cover due to the fact that it was being reviewed in that issue. I must have read that issue to death due to my fascination of Mario Party after having been captivated by Super Mario 64 just months before, and another article that caught my attention due to the presence of Mario was a preview for Super Smash Bros. If I remember correctly, that was also my first ever sighting of anything to do with Pokemon because of Pikachu being a playable character.

The magazine also used to run a feature every month that briefly previewed upcoming games that had been released in Japan. I can't remember if this was also in the same issue as is mentioned above, but there was a preview for a Japanese game going by the name of 'Pikachu Genki Dechu' (which would later be released in American territory only, going by the name of 'Hey You Pikachu'). This game stood out to me because of its unique aspect of implementing a microphone to interact with characters, and most of all because of the presence of a familiar yellow rodent with red cheeks and electric powers. From then on I guess I must have tuned myself in to anything that the magazine offered in the way of news about this Japanese craze known as Pocket Monsters, and the next memory that I have relating to Pokemon is a comic strip of the first episode of the anime that came free with one issue of the magazine, serving as a preview to the then upcoming brand new show. That got me hooked on the show, which later led to me having my first Pokemon games.
    "My Dream..."

Wis

My god-mother and god-father bought me a GameCube for my birthday and on the back of the box of the GameCube, I saw this weird creature. I was curious and I searched what game had that creature and it happened to be Pokemon Colosseum. I got the game a few weeks later and after that I have been trying to drown myself in everything Pokemon.
    Btw the weird creature was Exploud.

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

My friend explained it to me when when I was five or so, and I watched the anime. I didn't really get into it for a while, though.

I hated the anime when it first came out, because of that ubiquitous annoying yellow rat. I was pressured by a friend to try the games. So I picked up Blue... the rest, as they say, is history. Twelve years later, and I still hate AYR.
    rockman0 likes this.
    "My trainer is different from other trainers. My trainer is in the bottom percentage of trainers. Okay bye." - Pikachu
    Claimed 24/11/2012
    Are you a Pokéfur? If so, come to http://www.pokefurs.net !

Blog Entries

I've been watching the anime for as long as I can remember. Then I saw there was a Pokemon game: Pokemon Yellow. Got it, and I've been a maniac since. =)
    Lookin for cloner! VM/PM Lifestream if interested!

Blog Entries

Follow Shinobu on Tumblr

For games, my friend encouraged me to get Gold. That made me a Pokemaniac.

Blog Entries

Follow JLomb on Tumblr

Wow this takes me back lol. It was around the time that Pokemon first came out in the U.S. and my cousin had a Pokemon mousepad and I asked him what it was. He told me about it and what time and channel it came on. After watching some of the show I got Blue version on my Gameboy (not Gameboy Color, just Gameboy lol).
    Boosh!

3DS FC: 3265-5253-3343

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

fourteen years ago, I saw "Battle Aboard The St. Anne" when it first came out (it was even shown before Pokemon, I choose You)

The rest is history. I never played the games until Gold and Silver, though

I had gotten one of the books called, "pikachu's vacation" and I started collecting the mini chapter books...then I got into the show and games...

Fruit of Prosperity Pomegranate's Avatar

My sister and I are a year apart and we always wanted the same things but then we didn't want to copy each other so we would fight whether or not my mom got us the same thing or different things. She learned she had to get us things that were very similar but not identical...and then Red and Blue came out, perfect for my family.

And then Yellow came out and all the fights started all over again, haha.
    "Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the pomegranates are in bloom - there I will give you my love."

saw the first episode on tv, seemed interesting to 6 year old me, shortly after i got pokemon yellow and 13 years later, here i am

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I watched the Anime first, I guess thats kind of what got me into it, I didnt find out about the Video games till later. I wanted to buy the games originally because I wanted a Lugia, which Id seen in Pokemon the Movie 2000.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

A few reasons, actually. I heard about Pokemon back in 2000, when it's presumably newly introduced in Malaysia (because I never heard of it before that). I hated it because it was popular. Silly reason, I know, but well, that's me (although I am still indifferent to popular things I don't care about, like My Little Pony). Anyway, one of the reasons that got me interested to Pokemon is how my cousins played those games around that time. Another reason is knowing that Pikachu participated in Smash Bros., which is a sign that Pokemon is a Nintendo franchise. Earthbound fans can attest that Smash Bros. got them interested to that franchise. Another reason is the games are fun, but more importantly, Pokemon is a surprisingly deep competitive game, so the interest practically stayed for the time being.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

My cousin introduced the TCG to me before introducing me with the game (I think that was the order). At that time, we played the TCG without the rules, because, In Indonesia, theme decks like Green Tornado? NONE. They're all fake. I even have a full box of fakes. My only REAL TCG collection was the Black and White collection (Green Tornado Theme Deck).
    And that's why I am playing Pokemon right now. I even used Sceptile for my team because my cousin likes Sceptile. He even raised it to Lv.80! It was in a (fake) Pokemon Ruby game.

You don't know me. Jack Pschitt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe my first exposure to Pokemon was when my brother and I got an old Nintendo 64 in 2003. It came with Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium. After we started playing those games, I started watching the anime (I can't remember if my brother did the same). I remember having a bunch of VHS tapes of the original Kanto series.

Then in 2004, I got an old GameBoy Color at a garage sale. It came with Silver, Gold, and Yellow. Those were my first main series games. And now here I am.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast