How did you get into pokemon?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How did you get into pokemon?

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default How did you get into pokemon?

So we all love pokemon here. But I want to know how you got into the addicting series.
    My parents bought me Shadows of Almnia to get me to stop fighting to play my Bros games. That lead me to where I am now. So whats your story?

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Re: How did you get into pokemon?

My neighbors introduced me to their TCG collections back in 1999. Then I saw their Game Boy games.

... Darn you, neighbors! :D
    Last edited by UnovaCastaway; 13th November 2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Setra likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How did you get into pokemon?

Well, around 2002, two of my cousins introduced me and my brother to some TCG cards, and then after that we got Pokemon toys, cards, watched the anime, but only started playing the games three years later in 2005.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Bloody hell we're going back...12 years? xD

I remember when I was younger, my older brother got the Nintendo Official Magazine (As it was called then). After the massive launch the games had in the United States in 1998, Nintendo UK were obviously hoping the same as the advertising for Red/Blue was, if I remember, pretty big. So we asked Mum to get us the games for Christmas (1999 - the year the games launched in the UK) with a Gameboy each. One image that still sticks out for me was a conceptualised drawing of a Primeape in the magazine - that was probably the first Pokémon I ever saw.

It was obviously the "Must-Have" item of the year, as there were news reports showing forklift trucks moving massive stacks of Red and Blue game boxes from warehouses and the only colour Gameboy Colour Mum could still get was the transparent purple (which I'm actually looking at right now). When we went back to school after the Christmas holidays, everyone was talking about it. Then with the release of the anime and the TCG, things took control (I remember there being a huge wait for the TCG to get in stock; obviously, magazines were covering all the items America gets and stuff beforehand).

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

My cousin introduced me to the franchise back when I was a child, and my parents got me Red, Blue and Yellow soon afterwards. I remember being a huge fan of the TCG, trading cards with him whenever I could, and it seemed like everywhere I went, people would be playing R/B/Y, so I was happy staying with the series. It's now over a decade later, and I'm still a huge fan. None of my friend still play any more, though.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Back in... 99(?) I was flipping through the channels at my grandma's house and discovered a bright and colorful show (I was only like 4 at the time). I began watching it every Saturday morning and never stopped since.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I'm not entirely sure how I knew I wanted the game but aged 4 or so, a couple of months after it came out in the UK, I asked for a Gameboy Color and Pokémon Blue. I know that by then my poor mother really had to shop around to even find one, they were that popular. After that my childhood was full of games, cards and the anime as well as a bedroom full of merch.
    Last edited by Kaori; 13th November 2011 at 07:58 AM.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

I think it was the TCG.
    Then me and my brother got Pokemon Stadium and later a GameBoy Color and Pokemon Blue. I'm pretty sure it's in that order but I might be remembering it wrong since it was so long ago.

Blog Entries

Follow Ebail on Tumblr

Some of my friends were playing R/B in school, and one of them let me try his game and I thought it was pretty fun. Ended up getting Yellow for Christmas that year, and loved it. Been a fan ever since.
    3DS FC: 1134-7255-2841 - White2 FC: 1765-1583-4731
    Some sort of blog about me - Fanclub

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

I am very new to Pokemon. I was just over a year old when Red and Blue came out. And my parents didn't let me get into video games until I was seven. So I got the tail end of the Game Boy craze. My first main series game was Platinum.
    Last edited by Setra; 28th July 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceking View Post
    So after reading all of your post I can say that I am very new to Pokemon. I was just over a year old when Red and Blue came out. And my parents didn't let me get into video games until I was seven. So I got the tail end of the Game Boy craze. My first main series game was Platinum.
    My first series game was Platinum too! Even though I got to know Pokemon from Crater
    My Friend Code (Black) 4771-0135-8247

Click to go to Bulbagarden's Trade Chatroom!

Blog Entries

I started Pokemon when I was 7...
    How 'bout you?
    My Friend Code (Black) 4771-0135-8247

Click to go to Bulbagarden's Trade Chatroom!

Blog Entries

Let's see... when I was four years old, I had the BIGGEST crush on my neighbor's older brother. XD He was really into Pokémon at the time, and I wanted to do stuff he liked. My neighbor and I would make paper doll Pokémon and have battles that her older brother would serve as judge for, and we watched the show all the time.

Eventually, I wanted to play the games as well. My mom told me she wouldn't buy a GameBoy for me, but she let me sell my deluxe doll house to buy one. (Yes, I got enough cash from that house for a GameBoy! Ah, how times have changed...) I have to admit, I was pretty proud of myself for buying a GameBoy all on my own! For Christmas that year my grandmother bought me Blue version, and the rest is history. XD

That was close to 14 years ago now!! D: I feel old... ;_;

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was 15, and I randomly one day decided to blow my $40 on SoulSilver.

My life has never been the same since.
    Setra and rockman0 like this.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

When I was about 4, I obtained a book with Pokémon descriptions. Later I bought Blue, Sliver and Sapphire and quickly became a Pokémon maniac.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast