How Did You Discover Pokemon? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Discover Pokemon?

Default Re: How Did You Discover Pokemon?

I found out about it from a friend in Grade 3.

Well, I'm only 18, So I really can't remember my first contact to pokémon, I mean, I watch it since ever, maybe since the show was released in portuguese in a local channel, and that was around '99 when i was 4! So I can say pokémon was always there for me hahaha. Btw, the first pokémon game I owned was Gold, around 2001.
    Last edited by GoldFromNewBarkTown; 8th July 2013 at 10:31 PM.

When I was in elementary school (I was 9, I honestly have no clue what grade I was in), I remember being on the bus and this kid behind me had a Sandshrew figurine. He told me about it (and I kept mishearing its name as 'Sis-Andrew') and that was my intro to Pokémon! Later my best friend at the time got Red version, I naturally got Blue, and it was all downhill from there. 15 years later... here I am.
    Safari: Dragon | Gabite, Noibat, Sliggoo
    Pokémon X | FC: 4871-3955-6532 | Name: Brandon
    Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

Pokemon, for me wasn't a discovery, but rather something I grew up with it since birth. My mom bought a bunch of stuff for me, and later my siblings to play with and watch. One of those things were a Charizard and Eevee Plushie, and the others were videos of episodes from the first season, anytime I would, be it dinner or I wanted something to watch, I put it in the VCR, and enjoyed re watching Ash on the beginning of his journey, although I was always frightened by Pokemon Shipwreck, and the proceeding episode due to how much peril they went through, and because of Gyarados, which put in my temporary fear for the species until later.

As I moved, rushed to watch the Johto Adventures after school, and during Hoenn, tried my best to get up Saturday mornings to watch Ash. Around these times, my younger brother found Pokemon FireRed which was abandoned in the trash, and with our Gamboy SP, adopted the Pokemon as his team, with me being there to help and train when he was busy. He was about 8. At the library, I discover Pokemon Special/Adventures, and began to love that too. After we finally had internet, some time later, I enjoyed the Pokemon site and listening to the song tracks it used to have and soon I learned about Sinnoh, due to Pokemon being gone from the channel I had. And on my 12th birthday, I got my DS, got SoulSilver, and enjoyed my first legit Pokemon team, and the rest is all history.

Truth be told, I don't really remember when I first discovered it. I was given a gameboy color and red version someday in '98 or '99 from my parents for whatever reason, which was also when I started watching the show. What I remember most though, is when my gameboy, along with my red version, was stolen in elementary school. I accidentally left the gameboy in my cubby and the next day it was gone; my friend sadly reported to me that it had apparently been taken and I never saw it again. I'm still pretty mad about that.

Eventually I did by a gameboy advance to replace that gameboy, then later picked up crystal version on my way to my grandparent's house one random rainy day. From then on I grew up with pokemon, mostly off to its own side though, as it was openly popular with good friends (who didn't go to school with me) and the denizens of my summer camps. Adventure quest, neopets, beyblades, dragon quest, runescape, etc. were popular with my main school friends, but I came in to all of those fads late with pokemon being one I always stuck with. Since then, my list of friends who still enjoy and indulge in pokemon has gotten smaller, but I still remain loyal, buying one or more of every generation (along with some merchandise here or there) as they come out.
    Shant I tell you of last night's dream?

Dark forms... came to me...

whispering of Unspeakable Atrocities!

Back in 1st, or way it 2nd??? Grade my friend told me about this show called "Pokemon". Naturally, I watched it, it was pretty good, and yeah. Back then, I could barely mesmerize Staraptor's name, now I know every single FREAKING ONE of them . I also thought that fully loved starers would be amazing, and that all the "really powerful trainers" would use them. Turns out I was wrong. The only powerful (competitively)starter was Blazekin, and that wasn't until 5th gen. I've played Pokemon ever since then, though half the people that used to play that I know have stopped, saying it it childish. Obviously they haven't heard of EV's and IV's, and RNG manipulation and stuff. POKEMON FTW

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

I was like...eight when the games came out, and I remember that it was my brother that got them. I think, perhaps, we saw the anime first and wanted to be Pokemon Masters like Ash Ketchum. Though, we soon were a little disappointed that the battles were so intense (at least in the since that Pokemon weren't directly attacking, thank goodness for Stadium back in the day...) xD

But yeah, pretty much my brother got me into it because when I was eight I thought he was the coolest guy in the world. I'd always liked more "boyish" things when I was younger, so it wasn't hard for me to get into Pokemon or even a bit into sports. I guess it was all because I wasn't a proper little girl...D;

Snarker Extraordinaire Captain Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Captain Blue On Twitter
    Follow Captain Blue on Tumblr

I think the very first time I saw Pokemon was in an anime store a few blocks from my neighborhood when I was in second grade (around '98-'99, when Pokemon was first arriving in the U.S.). There was some sort of sticker or poster or something that had a bunch of Pokemon in a line on a beach, and I remember thinking it was weird that they'd have one creature biting the tail of another (Slowbro, natch).

My classmates at the time were really into Pokemon, and I didn't really know much about it at first. Eventually I got my first cards (Base Set Ponyta and Weedle), and needless to say, I got hooked. I only had the cards and the anime until I turned 11, when I got my own Game Boy Color and a copy of Yellow Version for my birthday. I had played a little bit on games owned by my older cousins and friends, but this was the first game I had to myself (I never saw the credits of a Gen I game under my own power until last year; Silver was the first Pokemon game I "beat").

17 years later and here I am, still a proud Pokemon nerd waiting eagerly for X/Y.

Paradise is Calling... Are You Ready to Answer?

I thought I had posted here before - must have been on a different forum with a similar name
    Really enjoyed reading everyone else's "history"!!

I guess with me, it was back when the anime first started in America, around late 1998. I was 12 years old - I just remember switching through channels after school just to see what cartoons where on. I remember (I didn't know the names at the time) seeing Pikachu, Ash, Brock, & Misty (can't remember what episode it was) - started getting hooked on the anime.... every day after school I would rush to see what episode was on. Once the new episodes premiered every Saturday, I would wake up to see them (even today I wake up to see the new episodes).
    #1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
    I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!

I knew of it because of the anime but I only saw a few episodes before i could finally get HG after i got my DS.
    Free-noschooldays galore :D

I learned about it from my younger brother. I'm much better then him at battling now, ironically.

I read this:

Blog Entries
    Follow FinalSynFrey On Twitter
    Visit FinalSynFrey's Youtube Channel

I was around 5-6 Years Old when I discovered the show/games. When my Mom bought me a VHS tape of the Original Pokemon season, I instantly fell with the show so I asked my mom to look for more. Then later, I noticed that Cartoon Network was airing Pokemon, so that's when I decided to follow the Series. As for the Game, I think my Brother or one of my Family's friend gave me a copy of Pokemon Blue for the Game Boy.

So yeah, that's pretty much how I discovered Pokemon. But after a long hiatus from being away from the whole Pokemon nerd stuff, I think I'm looking forward to the upcoming X and Y. I haven't had time to play Pokemon: Black unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

I got into Pokemon when I was 6 years old through the anime. I would watch new episodes every week and reruns on week days. I didn't know of the games until around the time the first movie came out. If memory serves right , I got Pokemon Red for Christmas of 1999 and a Game Boy Color.My older brother got Blue and a GBC and my little brother got Game and Watch Gallery 3 and a GBC instead. Then after that is when I got hooked on the series and I'm still am to this day.

I saw a commercial for Leafgreen and naturally begged my mom to buy it. I ended up with a bunch of TCG cards instead cause they were cheaper......After awhile I did get the games and coupled with the show, I was quickly pulled into the franchise, which I'm proud to be part of to this day :D
    Check out my group: Talk to me!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast