How Did You Discover Pokemon? - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How Did You Discover Pokemon?

Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: How Did You Discover Pokemon?

Now that I think... I have absolutely no idea. Since I have memory, Pokémon has always been there. At least the anime, so I probably started watching it as a baby when it first came in Latin America or something, since the earlier episodes I remember watching were the first ones (Metapod vs. Metapod really stood out as one of my earlier remarkable childhood memories). As of games, I remember my granddad giving me a GameBoy Advance SP with Pokémon Emerald as a gift when I was around 8 or 10, though. Hey... and Pokémon games taught me more English than school!
    It doesn't matter if you aren't going to reach the goal, as long as you're still happy doing the trajectory.

Follow Spectacular Snivy On Twitter Add Spectacular Snivy on Google+
    Visit Spectacular Snivy's Youtube Channel

I dont know...when i was likre 5 I got poikemon cards,I had my first video game during when i was 8 so yeah...

I HATE MYSELF!

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

I got into the series many years ago during the Red/Blue era, or sometime in 1998 or 1999. Oh how time flies...! Oh how terrible my memory is getting!

I don't remember which happened first, but I seem to recall that:
    - The first episode I saw on TV was where the gang found the Togepi Egg in Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon. My parents turned on the TV to keep me quiet and entertained, but little did they know that I was glued to the show.
    - The first trading card I saw was Oddish from the Jungle collection. I adored it and really wanted it even though I didn't quite know what I was getting. Then started my craze over getting all of the trading cards...
    - The first game I got was Blue version for Christmas. My dad didn't exactly put nametags on the presents, so it was by chance that I opened Blue while my twin brother opened Red.

I do remember being really pumped for the release of Gold/Silver. I played a demo of it at a store. :D
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

Power of the Player Metal Heroine's Avatar

Actually, by my DSi. I used to go on this thing called "Flipnote Hatena," I heard so much about Pokémon on there around 2009 or 2010, I decided to get Pokémon Platinum. Mine might be the most different and stupid one of all

I was like 7 or 8. And frankly after watching the bus driver ad as many times as I did...I thought I would never get in to a series that promoted what a 7/8 year old saw as animal cruelty by stuffing a bunch of cartoon animals into a bus and then sending it into a crusher.

But...fate had other plans. My dad originally got Blue for my mom to play one Christmas. But after like Viridian City, she just sort of abandoned the game. I decided to snag it even though at the time I wasn't big on video games back then other than stuff like Mole Mania, Tetris, and maybe Donkey Kong Country. Played through Viridian Forest with her Squirtle and Pidgey she had and fell in love with it. My love for it started to grow even bigger after I caught the Kangaskan Kid on TV because I thought the baby Kangaskan was the most adorable thing I've ever seen at the time in a cartoon. Then came Red for Easter where I started my own journey. By that time after reading the guide a bunch of times I became rather good at the game.

Eventually my love for it got to the point of addiction and I ended up becoming one of those kids.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily proud of those days.

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't even know. The youngest I can remember is probably age 3 when I had some Pikachu slippers, meaning my parents probably just put the TV on something one day back when we didn't have cable and...here we are.

So, to be accurate, my parents discovered it for me. It's really ironic now...

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

I got as a gift from my mother when I turned 10. I got Pokemon red in Japanese. She worked in Japan at that time. It's interesting that I think of it. It's kinda like I got my first Pokemon when I turned 10.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Blog Entries

Get ready for my whole life story :P
    When I was five or six, my mom got me a Pokemon handbag for the Gameboy Advance SP that had Lugia and Ho-oh on it. When I was that age, Pokémon wasn't really popular anymore so I didn't know what it was that I had.
    When I was eight, my dad took me to Wal-mart, and being an electronics person, he would always take me to look at the electronics aisle.
    I saw a sample DS and game set up in the game section. So I went and I played it. The game was Pokémon Ranger, and I was immediately hooked. My grandpa took me the next week to buy me a late birthday present, so I of course got the game.
    I didn't really learn what Pokémon was for a long time, I just thought it was only that game. One time, we went to the library and they have this section where they give away stuff for donations, and I found a Pokémon Handbook and the first Pokémon movie, Mewtwo Strikes Back. I don't think I ever made the connection of the game and the two items, or maybe I did, I just didn't think about it.
    I used that handbook so much, it fell apart and was thrown away, so I had to get a new one. Anyway, I began to watch the Animé on Pokemon.com after I had looked it up, so the Animé was important to me also. In 2010, I saw a bunch of commercials for HeartGold and SoulSilver, and I really wanted to actually capture Pokémon instead of just capturing them temporarily, so I got my parents to buy me SoulSilver, since Lugia looks awesome.
    After this, I really got into the Pokémon fandom, and I eventually got the newest Ranger games and I went to a convention for Pokémon Black and White. I even got Victini for those games! After getting the latest and greatest, I began to take interest in the older games as well. I mostly played them on emulators, but my dad then dug out a Gameboy from the closet and he let me have it. I went and bought Pokémon Yellow, and I'm currently working on that now. Now I live and breathe Pokémon, and I'm really obsessed with it. I have finally crossed the line between casual gamer and hardcore gamer.

Friends at school when I was 12 years old.

Blog Entries

My parents just got me Pokémon Gold for my birthday back in 2001. Not much to say, really. XD

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Actually, the anime. I was introduced to the series in 1998 when I watched "Pokémon Shipwreck," a preview episode of the English dub that premiered prior to or during the Macy's Day Parade special that aired. I lived in Long Island, NY at the time, so I guess I was lucky enough to get the sneak peek.

I remember the games and manga used to take a backseat to the anime in Gen I for me. I always enjoyed watching it so much (I was about 4 at the time, so I was obviously a child back then). In Gen II, that all changed when I picked up my first game, Pokémon Gold. Then I went back and got Pokémon Yellow, and the rest is history.

Funny enough, I remember I got that TCG for the PC game called "Studio Red" version. It was about some lady named Julie who taught you how to play the TCG. haha. At the time, I saw all the cards you could play with to battle her, but I thought you could print out the actual TCG cards at the time, so I was really disappointed when I learned you could only print out the list of cards you had in your possession by marking the cards.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 29th June 2013 at 09:32 PM.

The Ultimate Trainer!!! Red The Champion's Avatar
    Add Red The Champion on Facebook
    Visit Red The Champion's Youtube Channel

for me, it was a long and rather unusual story.

when i was around 5, i found what seemed to be a Pikachu doll in the garage at the bungalow I'm staying (my parents and I used to live in a room in a bungalow where my father rented, so there were other kids staying in it). I assumed that some kid threw it away, so I kept it. around that year too, one of my neighbors gave me some Chinese Pokemon dvd's, so I watched it. the only episode that I remembered was the one where Ash battled Falkner.

when i went to primary school, i found out that Pokemon was intensely popular there. how popular, you ask? well every recess, a lot of students will gather in a hall and trade Pokemon cards. even the teachers don't mind and sometimes trade with them as well (although they will take actions if we trade in class or during exam). at first i just ignored them, but my friend somehow persuaded me to join in. He gave me a couple of Pokemon cards to start with, a Machamp card and a Jynx card. apparently the kids were much more interested into collecting instead of actually playing them, so i had fun. i also occasionally went to one of my friend's house to play Pokemon cards and also play his Gameboy Pokemon games (i think it was firered and leafgreen). but my mom just won't buy a gameboy for me, so i just coped with the situation.

I saw the anime in the year 1999 or 2000 (not sure which one) on a German channel called RTL II...hence the username I use on here.

Follow VulpesCaudas on Tumblr Follow VulpesCaudas on Flickr Visit VulpesCaudas's Youtube Channel

Watching the anime at the age of six in 1999/2000. At the time, absolutely everyone at school was into Pokemon, and each break time all the kids would split into teams and we'd 'battle' each other. Naturally, every other person wanted to be Pikachu, and 90% of the remaining kids wanted to be Charmander. It was around this time that the cards were banned at school because parents were complaining about the trading aspect. Probably for this reason, I never really got into the card game. I had loads of Pokemon merchandise when I was very little, but sadly it's all disappeared over the years.

I first played the games (Red and Gold) in 2004, and have been hooked since.

Battle? FC 0776 8124 7545 Bald Accountant's Avatar

My daughter started playing Crystal and got bored with it, so I tried it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast