How can pokemons use field moves like Surf even when they fainted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How can pokemons use field moves like Surf even when they fainted?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default How can pokemons use field moves like Surf even when they fainted?

I've been wondering about this for a very long time... but how can pokemons use field moves like Surf even when they fainted?

I mean - they FAINTED. They're unconscious. How can a fainted bird even carry you on its back and fly to the Pokemon Center?

I guess Sweet Scent doesn't really count because those pokemons usually smell good anyways, but moves like Rock Smash - they require MOVEMENT, and how do you expect a fainted pokemon to even move?

Default Re: How can pokemons use field moves like Surf even when they fainted?

Usually when I think of a Pokemon fainting, I believe they run out of energy to fight but they have enough to use field moves. But it doesn't make sense that something like Piplup could take you across the ocean when it's fainted or a Pidgey could fly you to the other side of the region while fainted. I guess that is Pokemon logic.
    Mega Uncle Edit Y likes this.

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

I don't think that when a Pokemon has fainted, they are completely unconscious, it just means that they are too weak to fight. In the anime for example, after a Pokemon is claimed to be unable to fight, they wake up seconds later (if the damage isn't too bad).
    I think that using a field move wouldn't take up as much energy as being in an actual battle, there isn't any opponent attacking them back.
    That's what I believe anyways, thanks for reading.
    Owain, S.S. Shadow Minun and Enzap like this.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Its purely game logic. Its to stop you getting stuck in a place that requires surf.

Blog Entries

Surf: Sit on its fainted body.
    Rock Smash: Whack it on the rock.
    Cut: Use the claw as a machete.
    Fly: Umm... NATURAL INSTINCT!
    Mantyke likes this.

Bionicle = my first love Toa of Ponies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solacen View Post
    Its purely game logic. Its to stop you getting stuck in a place that requires surf.
    Pretty much,you dont wanna get stuck at the pal park, Slendy lives there.

Saxophonist|PW:AA fan|Orchestra/Jazz player |K-On! fan|Pokemon Fan|
    My dragons! Please have a look and click!

Real question is how can Pikachu use Surf without a Surfboard?

Blog Entries

I always thought that 'fainted' really just meant 'rendered too weak to fight'.
    PKMN Trainer Faye and Owain like this.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Blog Entries

Well, this is why you guys should all use Wailmer. Its blubbery body will float on the water even when unconscious, so you just throw the thing in the ocean, hop on, and paddle your way back to safety.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post
    Well, this is why you guys should all use Wailmer. Its blubbery body will float on the water even when unconscious, so you just throw the thing in the ocean, hop on, and paddle your way back to safety.
    Better Wailord. Not only because its size, but because according to its weight and estimated volume, the whale should be able to float on midair.

Ontopic, I agree with some people above, fainted Pokémon aren't unconscious, just unable to fight right now. Also, using field moves isn't the same as using them in the heat of a battle, and maybe that's why they don't consume PP on field.
    Owain likes this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It IS in fact a misnomer. The Japanese is ひんし which translates loosely to "almost dead", but basically implies that they are too weak to fight. Other translations go with "weakened" or similar.

They are not actually unconscious. Going with the "moves are techniques" idea, field moves are simply techinques that don't require much effort at all.

(Now, the applications of these, like swimming or cutting trees, that's kind of the same game logic that doesn't let you go up waist-height ledges or between thin trees)

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

...And that's why I always preferred O.O.C (out of combat) to Fainted as a term.
    Reila likes this.

Blog Entries

Aha, I always wondered about that! To be honest, I've always used "died" instead of "fainted." ._. I suppose because I didn't like that they were making it too "safe," so I just got into that habit... I never gave it much thought because of that, and just laugh at it sometimes when I had to use a fainted ("dead") Pokemon to surf. XD But now that I'm remembering fainted, I agree with some of you, it makes sense that they're just too weak to battle. XD

The Lord of the Dance m0ckingbird20's Avatar

Visit m0ckingbird20's Youtube Channel

This was one of my first thoughts when I played pokemon. I got used to it eventually but I really don't think that there is a logical explanation behind it. I think that's just how the game works.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

In video games, if a Pokémon fainted, it'll be considered "dead", but in the anime and manga, Pokémon fainting just mean that the Pokémon is injured, or its energy is completely depleted, but it's still not "dead" yet. After that, Pokémon will recover its energy automatically without any requirements, therefore it can use any HM moves after energy being recovered. Thus making Pokémon anime and manga more realistic than Pokémon video games. However, this energy recovery still applies to fainted Pokémon in games for HM purposes, but HP will not be recovered automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast