Honorary types

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By garrison-san

Thread: Honorary types

Default Honorary types

Are there any pokémon you think could have one or more "honorary types", which aren't official but represent well some aspects of those specific pokémon?
    For example, Lugia could be a water type, Gligar family, Trapinch family and Drapion could be bugs, Charizard could be an obvious dragon type etc...

Blog Entries

Visit Rainbow Cloud's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Honorary types

Psyduck and Golduck could be part psychic type as they can learn quite a few psychic type moves, Psyduck even has psy in its name. Noctowl could also be part psychic type for similar reasons and Luxray looks as if it could be part dark type.

Blog Entries

Gyarados would be part Dragon type for all the dragon moves it can use. Actually...Why on Earth is Gyarados even a secondary Flying type?! It has no physical features that would identify it as a Flying type, and the only Flying move it knows (which only came up in, what, Gen IV?) is Bounce, which really isn't much. So WHY?

Look at Ninetails. It could be part ghost. After all its based off a spirit. There are many others like this example, but the creators saw which types would suit that specific pokemon the best.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Charizard- Dragon
    Gyarados- Dragon
    Lugia- Water
    Black Kyurem- Electric
    White Kyurem- Fire
    Huntail- Dark
    Gorebyss- Psychic
    Seismitoad- Poison

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

Yanmega - dragon
    flygon- bug
    charizard- dragon
    aggron -dragon

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Masquerain, Stunfisk and Armaldo could all be honorary water types, as they're known to be aquatic or have aquatic pre-evolutions.
    Toxicroak could be a Dark type, courtesy of it's dirty fighting style and ruthless nature. If it weren't for its poison, I'm sure it would have been one.
    Flygon and Drapion would have been part Bug if they didn't have two types, courtesy of their insect/arthropod basis.
    Venomoth, Volcarona, Dustox, Heracross, Illumise, Volbeat and Scizor all clearly have functional wings and are shown to be capable of flight. It's probably for the best that the're not Flying though.
    Seismitoad would be an honorary Poison type, as it's known to secrete poison. Same goes for Gligar and Gliscor.
    The Pokedex mentions Glalie's body is made of rock, so it could have been Ice/Rock.
    Camerupt could have easily been Fire/Rock instead of Fire/Ground (it's better off with the latter though).
    Pinsir's level up movepool seems to want us to think it's a Fighting type. Stag beetles are as popular for beetle fights too, just like rhinoceros beetles.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Charizard - Dragon
    Serperior - Dragon
    Ferligatr - Dragon
    Gyarados - Dragon

Yeah

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Honorary types" doesn't really mean they should be these types, but they have qualities and aspects that are associated with these types and that I think do have an underlying theme of this type regardless of their actual typing.

Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite: Water. They are definitely linked to the sea, with even Dragonite being sometimes called a "guardian of the sea".

Tyranitar: Ground (per its preevolutions). I'm surprised they went with Rock instead of Ground even, given its motif of mountains and its ability in summoning sandstorms seem more fitting for a Ground type. Probably to give it a 4x weakness to match Dragonite.

Horsea/Seadra: Dragon, evolve into one, have Dragon moves, hold Dragon Scales and their species IS Dragon Pokémon.

Ninetales: Ghost, as per the Kyuubi's lore even (or maybe specially) excluding its illusions.

Suicune: Ice. It comes with the north wind, and it learns many Ice moves even for a Water type.

Unown: Normal. "Unknown". It's odd to me that they are just Psychic types.

Mawile: Definitely Dark. It's all about deceit, after all. It's japanese name is "Kucheat".

Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon: Bug, as antlions.

Groudon: Fire, of course. It is closely related to magma.

Pawniard/Bisharp: Fighting, it's a chess soldier.

Kyurem: Obviously it has a fire motif and an electric motif in its fused forms.

[/overexposition]

Yeah, Ninetales should definitely be Fire-Ghost.
    About Mawile, I think Ghost would be better than Dark (futakuchi-onna could be compared to Froslass' yuki-onna).
    Wobbuffet an Girafarig have some Dark vibes.
    Dunsparce should be either Flying or Ground.
    Stantler = Psychic.

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    ..with even Dragonite being sometimes called a "guardian of the sea".
    They only say that in one Pokedex entry:

Stadium: Has intelligence on par with people. This "sea guardian" is said to be capable of flying around the globe in about 16 hours.

And no, no, no "Guardian of the Seas" = "Lugia"

---

Psyduck and Golduck-Psychic. I though they were Psychic types...
    Lugia-Water and Dragon. You don't know what it's based on, lives deep under the sea, not in a pineapple since it won't fit, and it looks like: a dragon, a bird, a dinosaur, a Loch Ness Monster, a something, and another thing all mixed in one.
    No.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserLugia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    ..with even Dragonite being sometimes called a "guardian of the sea".
    They only say that in one Pokedex entry:

Stadium: Has intelligence on par with people. This "sea guardian" is said to be capable of flying around the globe in about 16 hours.

And no, no, no "Guardian of the Seas" = "Lugia"
    The "guardian of the sea" is mentioned some other times with that exact wording, like in Mystery Dungeon.

Furthemore, the other entries still state it being protective and living in the sea, rescuing people there. So it's accurate to call it a "guardian of the sea", in the sense of being a protector that is from the sea.

[/overexposition]

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

One that nobody's said yet is Raticate - it could have worked as a Normal/Water type, since it seems to be partially based on the coypu and some of its dex entries mention it having webbed feet.
    Enzap likes this.

Lord of Chaos

Samurott could have made it as a Fighting-type, but I don't think Game Freak dared to do it given the uproar over Fire-Fighting starters-and the fact that Emboar was ANOTHER one of them. Also, shouldn't Marowak and Cubone be part Fighting, given that they wield a bone like a ninja staff?

Follow Mokoniki on Tumblr Visit Mokoniki's Youtube Channel

I always thought Ninetales should have been Fire/Psychic, but adding Ghost as a secondary type makes sense. I also thought Psyduck and Golduck were Water/Psychic for a little while and I was surprised to see they weren't. I think it would be nice if Absol was Dark/Ice. It tends to be found in pretty cold places. Azurill could be part Water. I never got the point of making it a Normal type, especially since they live near water.

"My hobbies include staring at hot asian men, crying over hot asian men, and shipping hot asian men with other hot asian men~"
    Quotes stolen from tumblr. Claims: Zhong Hui, Xu Shu, Sewddle, Protect, Sitrus Berry, Max Repel, and Sap Sipper