Ho-Oh - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ho-Oh

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

That reminds me... some hummingbird feathers look different colours depending on how the light strikes them, so it can be possible that Ho-oh's feathers work just the same.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

That'S another possibility. Would be neat if you could track down some pictures of those hummingbirds, though.

I don't think we should take the "seven colors of teh rainbow" stuff ENTIRELY literally if we don't go with the prismatic notion, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

We should also keep in mind that its anime appearance after the first season was more in line with the game appearance.

(P.S. Congratulations on your 4000th post, Damian.)
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Blog Entries

HOWEVER, it's anime appearance in the first season is more in line with the description given in the pokédexes.

And thanks

(BTW - check out the pokéballs thread again. I'd like to have your take on a question I asked there).
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 5th July 2005 at 05:39 PM.
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Silverblade
    That'S another possibility. Would be neat if you could track down some pictures of those hummingbirds, though.
    I will when I come back. *nods*

I think we're overdue for a Ho-Oh movie. :(

Blog Entries

Good point - what is the ultimate point of Ho-Oh in the anime? Most of the other big names legendaries (excluding Raikou) have featured in movies to date...

Though that's probably better suited to a new thread in the anime forum.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

Raikou had a special, so he counts.

Ho-oh is probably exempt because it's the only legendary to be prominently featured in the actual anime.

Blog Entries

As I said, this is probably best kept for an anime forum thread, since it's a discussion of the actual anime
    Sooooo...watch out!

Blog Entries

I've seen a pidgeon's feathers change color according to the angle at which you look at it.

Anyway, I think the Ho-oh in the first ep was gold to reiterate the fact that then, it was an "unknown" pokemon. I'm not entirely sure if they even had a real color scheme for it back then, as Ho-oh was taken out of the first gen and recycled for the second gen. Yeah, I'm probably wrong, because if I remember, it was making a rainbow then, too.
    Last edited by Dragon Char; 5th July 2005 at 07:47 PM.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

And now comes a reason to kick myself over leaving my mythical beasts books down south.

Ho-oh, not so much based on the houou than it is on the asian Feng Huang. ...Though its lacking a counterpart, we can stretch it like Mr. Fantastic and say Lugia's its yin/yang.

http://www.avians.net/paragon/fenghuang.htm

This pretty much explains everything my own book says. In fact, the images are borrowed directly from the two books I own. Dunno whether to be irked that two of them aren't credited to be from one of the books.

....And you cannot tell me (or convince me) Ho-oh wouldn't look tacky with all seven colors on its body, considering who we're talking about here. Leaving a rainbow in its wake can poetically (and in a way, literally) cover the seven-color dilemma if its feathers/wings/pinions/whatever.
    Last edited by Luna Tiger; 5th July 2005 at 07:55 PM.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Blog Entries

As promised, some reference on the hummingbird feathers:

http://portalproductions.com/h/iridescent.htm

http://www.tamarindo.net/animals/hummingbird.jpg

I think Ho-oh's feathers would be iridiscent like the hummingbird's if it was real.

Blog Entries

Toraph - excellent post on the Feng Huang, on which Ho-Oh is indeed based. Little detail though : Ho-Oh (the japanese legend, not the pokémon) and Feng-Huang are not different creatures. In fact, Ho-Oh is the japanese word for the bird the chinese call "Feng-Huang".

Alex - well, I, for one, am now convinced. Ho-Oh DEFINITELY would have hummingbird-esque feathers in a "real" manifestation.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Thought on the seven colors: the phoenix is a bird that symbolizes rebirth and abundance; seven is a number that symbolizes spiritual perfection or completeness.

Blog Entries

Connecting what Barb said and what we know about Ho-oh in both the anime and games, I believe the rainbow thing related to Ho-Oh also has to do with the fact that not only is a Phoenix, but also resurrected the Pokémon (Suicune, Raikou and Entei) who died in the Tin Tower fire, according to the legend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast