Ho-Oh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ho-Oh

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Ho-Oh

Well, we had one of the two, so I figure we might as well add in the other.

Ho-Oh is, we all know, based on the Phoenix. But what does Ho-Oh actually looks like? The game depict it almost parrot-like in coloring, with well ordered colors on the wing; the anime openings agree with this. ON the other hand, when it appeared in the anime, it was a golden, shiny creature, with no traces of such coloring.

The pokédex descriptions throws another spin on the whole story :

Gold Legends claim this Pokemon flies the world's skies continuously on its magnificent seven-colored wings.
    Silver A legend says that its body glows in seven colors. A rainbow is said to form behind it when it flies.
    Ruby Ho-oh's feathers glow in seven colors depending on the angle at which they are struck by light. These feathers are said to bring happiness to the bearers. This Pokemon is said to live at the food of a rainbow.
    Sapphire HO-OH's feathers glow in seven colors depending on the angle at which they are struck by light. These feathers are said to bring happiness to the bearers. This POKeMON is said to live at the foot of a rainbow.
    FireRed A legend says that its body glows in seven colors. A rainbow is said to form behind it when it flies.
    LeafGreen Legends claim this POKeMON flies the world's skies continuously on its magnificent seven-colored wings.
    Emerald Its feathers--which glow in seven colors depending on the angle at which they are struck by light--are thought to bring joy. It is said to live at the foot of a rainbow.

Note that the dex commonly bring back the SEVEN-colored theme; neither the game nor anime reflect this seven-color scheme (one would assume the seven rainbow colors, seeing as Ho-Oh is constantly called the rainbow pokémon).

Now, of course, in terms of looks, Ho-Oh, being an eastern Phoenix, is a close relative of the crane (bird) (and not remotely related to the turkey, contrary to its popular nickname, basedon a particularly ugly depiction on the game pictures)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, the beak seems to be rather vulture-like...

How do you see parrot in it? I sure don't.

Blog Entries

The coloring, mostly.
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

the beak KINDA reminds me of a parrot

...?
    LJ - Twin Suns, my band - Solo Project-
    Please take a listen to my music. I'd REALLY appreciate your input and support

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not me, it comes out too far.

It's tasting time! Kasumi's Avatar Former Art Director
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kasumi On Twitter Add Kasumi on Google+
    Follow Kasumi on Tumblr Follow Kasumi on Flickr

Well, he's definitely a Phoenix.

One thing that made me always wonder is why in the anime and in the games themselves you cannot see the supposed SEVEN colours of the rainbow in his body. But looking at the pokédex entries, this is related to the angle the light is striking Ho-oh's feathers so I guess you have to be really lucky to get to see a rainbow coloured Ho-oh. As if encountering one wasn't hard enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kasumi-san
    Well, he's definitely a Phoenix.

One thing that made me always wonder is why in the anime and in the games themselves you cannot see the supposed SEVEN colours of the rainbow in his body. But looking at the pokédex entries, this is related to the angle the light is striking Ho-oh's feathers so I guess you have to be really lucky to get to see a rainbow coloured Ho-oh. As if encountering one wasn't hard enough.
    Exactly. Maybe it's gold-coloured in the anime because of how the sun's reflecting off of it. Maybe its feathers have prism-like qualities. The angle of the sun determines the colors that show. Or maybe it's just attuned to its environment, and that reflects what colors show.

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

The lack of seven colors is probably GSC's fault - all Pokemon had a 4-color palette.

Blog Entries

That'S a good point, right there. Though they could have recolored for RSE FRLG. And Stadium.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Blog Entries

in the anime, he has a rainbow trailing after him....

Blog Entries

That rainbow trailing after Ho-Oh raise one question. It is at all possible that, rather than having "rainbow-colored" wings or any such, Ho-Oh is actualy a colorless creature, and that the colors we perceive it as being as the result of a prismatic effect of some sort (ie, light passing through Ho-Oh's feather is broken down to its primordial seven colors?)

Just a random theory of mine *shrugs*
    Sooooo...watch out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Silverblade
    That rainbow trailing after Ho-Oh raise one question. It is at all possible that, rather than having "rainbow-colored" wings or any such, Ho-Oh is actualy a colorless creature, and that the colors we perceive it as being as the result of a prismatic effect of some sort (ie, light passing through Ho-Oh's feather is broken down to its primordial seven colors?)

Just a random theory of mine *shrugs*
    I completely agree and point to my previous post in this thread.

Blog Entries

Ooops, had missed that post. Well, yes, that seems sensible to me. So, a prismatic-winged pokémon. Really interesting, but I can certainly see where that'd be interesting.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Blog Entries

And it's certainly not like it couldn't happen. Look at the shaft of a bird's feather, specifically where the feather part actually appears. It seems a little clear. Certainly, coming from a bird that can apparently breathe fire, a simple thing as a slightly different material in the wings wouldn't be impossible.

Blog Entries

agreed here as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast