Have you ever hated a character or pokemon because of their fans? - Page 3

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Have you ever hated a character or pokemon because of their fans?

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Re: Have you ever hated a character or pokemon because of their fans?

Pseudo-legendaries, the constant crowing about how great they are in battle is rather annoying. Their stats are so over-inflated that they don't really deserve any particular props for that.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Pikachu, people think it's amazing. It sucks. -_-

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Cilan and Cynthia. N too, but I didn't really like him that much in the first place. Charizard as a pokémon.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know it's the franchise mascot, but Pikachu is overdone. With so many other characters around, a lot of merchandise just HAS to throw Pikachu in there, even if it's supoosed to represent a newer generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    Oh yes, plenty.

Like Blaziken. And I used to like Blaziken before Gen V. I don't care that Speed Boost is fucking amazing, I don't want to hear that 24/7.

I don't hate Charizard because I see more people hating on it then liking it nowadays. I feel kind of bad for him.
    I agree with Blazikan. The only reason I dislike it is because of my friend. Also Ponyta. My sister associates it with My little Pony.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think anytime a Pokemon is demanded to be in Smash Brothers (as was the case for Blaziken), they've probably reach the point of annoyingly popular.

(Throh and Sawk Ice Climbers-style team for Smash 4!)
    Bandit Keith likes this.

Blog Entries

Nah, but the fanbases of certain characters and Pokemon can get very annoying.

The actions of those individuals wouldn't impact how I felt about the given character or Pokemon, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhite2!! View Post
    I think Arceus is the second most overrated Pokemon behind Charizard.
    It isn't.

After Charizard, comes Mewtwo, Lucario, Garchomp, Swampert, Lugia... Honestly people barely talk about Arceus.
    o.o
    At my school a lot of people talk about Arceus, but I really don't want to cause an argument or anything.

Also I think Blaziken is quite overrated.

I'll have to say Ash since there are some people I have seen that are a little too obessed with him.
    "This song here might offend you some
    If it does it's because you're dumb"

- Frank Zappa

Blog Entries

It isn't.

After Charizard, comes Mewtwo, Lucario, Garchomp, Swampert, Lugia... Honestly people barely talk about Arceus.
    o.o
    At my school a lot of people talk about Arceus, but I really don't want to cause an argument or anything.

Also I think Blaziken is quite overrated.
    No problem.
    I'm talking about internet... Here, the most overrated are the ones above...

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

If I like a Pokemon I'll like it and if I hate a Pokemon I'll hate it simple. Let's not complicate things by worrying about what other people think.

Follow Jenni on Tumblr

I've never liked/disliked a pokemon only because of it's fan base, but the fans can get really annoying.
    Pikachu is probably the best example of this. Back when gen 1 was the only gen around, a bunch of friends and I got into a discussion about how powerful pikachu is (or rather, isn't) we were talking about his power in-game, but they kept bringing up the bloody anime... eventually I did a solo run of blue with a pikachu just to prove a point about how ridiculous Ash's pikachu was (basically showing how weak pikachu was and how much trouble it had against well.. everything except misty), and since then I've really hated pikachu because of that solo run with it. So in that case I dislike a pokemon because some fans drove me to use it, I suppose.

Honestly, though, more often than not the fans make me like a pokemon more.. usually the pokemon that I hear people complain about most are ones I like to give a chance, to see if they're as bad as people say, and I end up being rather fond of them. My Trubbish, for example, is one of my favourites from gen V, and I never thought to use her until I heard a few friends whining about how horrible, weak, and ugly she is.
    HumanDawn likes this.
    Check out my LP channel, I do mostly roguelikes. https://www.youtube.com/rogueswonderland

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It isn't.

After Charizard, comes Mewtwo, Lucario, Garchomp, Swampert, Lugia... Honestly people barely talk about Arceus. o.o
    Overrated, by definition, means that they are not as good as people say they are. All of the above mentioned (sans Charizard) are excellent Pokemon in their own right, so they do not fit the category of overrated.

Overexposed? Yes, definitely. If I see one more Lucario around I'm going to...
    But not overrated.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

PDL

I thought this thread was about disliking a character because of its/his/her fanbase, not the character itself.

Anyway, you know what I find strange? I've seen a ton of complaints about Pikachu and how over rated it is, but I've yet to actually come across the Pikachu superfans that you guys seem so dead-set against. If anything, the only reason there seems to be alot of talk about Pikachu is due to how "terrible" the character is. It is basically perpetuating the very thing you guys don't seem to like.

Just my two cents on that matter.

Anyway, yeah, there are a whole bunch of perfectly nice characters that have been tainted by annoying people: Misty (already mentioned in previous posts), Red (actually, nearly all the "stoic" male characters that are portrayed as "Bishie" by people), N (I found him incredibly creepy in the games and people constantly pitying his circumstances, while effectively pulled off, got old after a while), Cynthia (don't get me started...). There's more but I don't usually obsess over characters I don't like too much.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I found a line on TVTropes that perfectly encapsulates how Cynthia fans have ruined the character for me:

Cynthia's pedophilia and awesomeness. Everyone's her bitch. Even Red.
    >.>

@PDL

N (I found him incredibly creepy in the games and people constantly pitying his circumstances, while effectively pulled off, got old after a while)
    Yeah, I like N as a character, but I think the point of his character is he's odd and not quite right...the fans who seems to "sexify" him bother me a bit, because he's got the mentality of a child, basically, so there's a weird undertone to it.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast