Has the mystery in Pokemon disappeared?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Winterdaze
  • 1 Post By Drakon

Thread: Has the mystery in Pokemon disappeared?

Blog Entries

Default Has the mystery in Pokemon disappeared?

Just like in the real world, where as time goes by people believe in legends less, it seems as if the same thing is happening in Pokemon when it comes to event Pokemon.

Back in the days of the Gen I, II, and III, I recall that people came up with all manner of theories on how to obtain event legendaries, and some of these were really farfetched. Things like beat the league 365 times to get Mew and wait for some special day and take the Rocket at the Space Center to space to catch Jirachi. Back in those days, the Internet was not at one's fingertips, so there was an aura of mystery surrounding those Pokemon.

Also, little things lingering on the map. Little things like the shiny rock on Route 224 or the locked house in Canalave City. These things make you think, "Why are these things here?"

Now, we are in the waning of Gen V awaiting Gen VI. Generation V had the Unova region, the most modern and least mysterious region. There are only 4 event Pokemon, and only one is caught in game. Victini was given out as soon as the BW were released, so there was no mystery there. The other 3 are just given to you, and thanks to all information being at one's fingertips, all the event legendaries were known about before BW was even released in the west. With this fact, here's how they could've at least made them interesting.

For Meloetta, the Pokedex entry said that it lost its red shoes. So, Game Freak could've made this an event item, and take it to a certain location. For, Genesect, it is said that it was modified by Team Plasma, so they could've made some sealed underground portion of the P2 Lab, that was unlocked with an event item like a key, and you find Genesect locked away under there.

So, do you guys think that the advancement of technology has taken the mysterious feeling out of Pokemon? or is Game freak just getting lazy with event legends? Tell me your thoughts.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Default Re: Has the mystery in Pokemon disappeared?

I don't think so, that's why WMG's, speculations and headcannons are for, right?

hi

It feels like the creative team just stopped trying. Like before, they at least would try explain why some inanimate object was alive, or at the very least give a vague explanation. Like, moonlight radiation, or hints that it had something to do with an experiment gone wrong. Now, they just don't care. They just make what ever they want. I wouldn't mind so much but they do this kind of stuff with animal Pokemon too. Like, making otters samurai. I mean, where does that even come from? It's just so random, it doesn't make any sense.

Sorry, I went into a bit of a rant there. Seriously though, I think they're just pushing themselves so much to the get the next Pokemon game out they aren't spending enough time thinking about mysteries or what not.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

It's a little bit to do with the ease of access to information, a bit of overloading on the event legendaries to the point that less thought is put into each, and a lot to do with the fanbase from earlier generations growing up as a whole.

I'm sure to a child that isn't scouring the internet for any shred of information on upcoming games and events would find the games to be just as full of mystery and intrigue as we did when we were young.

Then again with all the difficulty hackers are having with extracting information from 3DS games, things might come full circle and event legendaries will become a mystery right up until their unveiling once more.
    Owain, Gunaydin and YamiiDenryuu like this.

We need more legendaries like the ones back in gen 1 and 2. Stuff you had to actually look deep in optional/hidden areas to find rather than forcing them in your face like the recent games have. I was disappointed that the game practically handed me the musketeer trio in BW2.

Mystery in another region Koukoubean's Avatar

Follow Koukoubean on Tumblr

I agree with the opinion that the developers aren't trying too hard anymore, but part of it may be because the fanbase has been growing older and started being more critical about the rumours in the game. It's not that the mystery disappeared, because it's still there; it's just that we stopped believing.

Blog Entries

I think it's just that people have gotten better at picking the coding apart and seeing what's actually there and what's not.
    Owain likes this.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

yes its has disapeared for me age and fact the series is wearing thin now, the mystery around legendaries when i was younger was beasue theses were rare unique pokemon now theres so many legendaries they actally have alot less value and uniqueness about them am i as intrested in gensect as mewtwo errmm no they dont speak to me like back in the day now there just THERE like there just enforced legendarys in every region i cant even be arsed to catch them all they give you a wall of text to read which is just wonderfully boring managing to slowly suck the life out of any intrest i had in the pokemon. game freak can only do so much to make ever legendary intrseting and unique while its already been done a dozen times.