The Golden age of Pokemon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: The Golden age of Pokemon

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default The Golden age of Pokemon

    I can remember clear as day, what I like to call the golden age of Pokemon, back when the only games in the series were Blue and Red, The anime was in its infancy, and there was only one series of the trading card game. I don’t know what the winter of 98 was like in other countries, but in England at least you could not go five minutes without at least a mention of Pokemon. As a kid, it was the only few months where I actually looked forward to going to school, as I looked forward to trading cards, discussing the anime and everything else that went with the craze.
    There is no doubt that Pokemon is still fairly popular today, but I don’t think that anything will compare to those early days of the franchise. In this thread I want to discuss that golden era, the 1998-1999 period, and for everyone to share their favourite memories of that time.

  2. #2
    A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nowhere special
    Posts
    17,517
    Blog Entries
    273

    Default

    But now we have the stalwarts, the people who know it's not just a mere fad, but a lasting franchise as much as Mario or Final Fantasy.

    Popularity is good too though. I remember thinking that "Pokemons" (at the time I'd only seen Pikachu) looked like a cross between moogles and rabbits.

  3. #3
    DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    On the Continent Of Wild Endeavor.
    Posts
    2,387
    Blog Entries
    76

    Default

    Everyone I know was calling Pikachu, "Pinkachu". Those were the days.

    Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

  4. #4
    Registered User SlickSlicer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INFERN0 View Post
    I can remember clear as day, what I like to call the golden age of Pokemon, back when the only games in the series were Blue and Red, The anime was in its infancy, and there was only one series of the trading card game. I don’t know what the winter of 98 was like in other countries, but in England at least you could not go five minutes without at least a mention of Pokemon. As a kid, it was the only few months where I actually looked forward to going to school, as I looked forward to trading cards, discussing the anime and everything else that went with the craze.
    There is no doubt that Pokemon is still fairly popular today, but I don’t think that anything will compare to those early days of the franchise. In this thread I want to discuss that golden era, the 1998-1999 period, and for everyone to share their favourite memories of that time.
    For me, that was just because I was a kid. I was less than 10 years old, and I know that many people at that age now are still really into pokemon. On the other hand, a lot of older people at that time seemed to think it was kinda stupid. My friends' (at the time) older brothers all thought it was "kiddy" and lame, or they were into it for a time and then got over it.

    Although I looked forward to going to school (elementary school at the time) then too, not only because of Pokemon, but also because of Dragon Warrior Monsters. :P

  5. #5
    The Pride is Back! The White King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Megamerica
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Yeah... I was pikachu for Halloween in '99 (might have been '98). Yeah... I am ashamed.

  6. #6
    The Pride is Back! The White King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Megamerica
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woingenau View Post
    Pix or it didn't happen! :D
    I could scan a picture but I think I'll hold on to my dignity.

  7. #7
    Registered User The Outrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,171
    Blog Entries
    951

    Default

    You call it "Golden Ages", I call it Dark Ages. Besides, what's generally refered to as the Golden Age was the Johto generation, and from what I hear, the Anime sucked ass.

    Now to explain what I mean. Those days, Pokemon was merely just a fad, people went along with it because it was the popular thing to do. They weren't really fans of the franchise, just for a lack of a better word, posers, who will make fun of you the day after it stops being popular for liking Pokemon, completely ignoring the fact that they likely had the largest collection of Pokemon Cards in the entire school. It was an age of stupid rumours like Pikablu or the Mew under the truck, which unknowing children passed their misinformation onto others. Oh yeah, lets not forget the random contraversy.

    Now is what I consider the Golden Age of Pokemon. For the first time ever, we are able to link to fans from across the globe and trade with them. It is no longer a fad, but a long running franchise with loyal fans. It is Nintendo's second best selling franchise, while at the same time is not popular enough for people to claim it is the tool of the devil anymore.

    Anyway, my best memory would be getting my Pikachu plushie, and my starter deck of Pokemon cards.

  8. #8
    Registered User Umbreon Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    238

    Default

    One of my funniest memories of the "Golden Age" was seeing the first movie in theaters. There were these two kids sitting behind us that were fighting about which Pokemon was Mewtwo and which Pokemon was Mew. Hahaha, morons.

  9. #9
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INFERN0 View Post
    I don’t know what the winter of 98 was like in other countries
    Outside Japan and English-speaking countries, it was pretty much "Poke-what"?

    I had actually heard of it, but outside of "it's a game franchise about small monsters, and one of them is named Pikachu", I knew absolutely nothing. I remember video game magazines calling it "Pockemon" before it's US release, too.
    So.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bibarr-"L" View Post
    You call it "Golden Ages", I call it Dark Ages. Besides, what's generally refered to as the Golden Age was the Johto generation, and from what I hear, the Anime sucked ass.
    I hear you, I just really enjoyed that time, I think that while in some ways the franchise has improved, in other ways it's been a little watered down.

  11. #11
    Whats my age again? GuitarHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    892

    Default

    I remember how addicting the damn trading card game was for me as a child who tended to really "focus" or I guess you could say, be a bit obsessive about things... the slogan "Gotta Catch 'em all" was definitely not wasted on me. Looking back, I can't believe how many cards I collected during those few short years, or how my mom supported my hobby all the way through middle school.

    I also remember staying over at a friends house and getting up early and eating cereal while watching the newest episode of pokemon; (The one were Ash meets "The Squirtle Squad"). Good times.

    Its funny, as I child I don't actually remember ever hearing about any rumors such as, Pikablu or the Mew under the truck. It was only after I found the internet, was I informed of these things.

  12. #12
    ...
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    4chan
    Posts
    816
    Blog Entries
    127

    Default

    Back during this time, I had just gotten into Pokemon. I had hated it, and preferred Digimon just because that meant hating Pokemon

    Then stuff happened and the next thing I know, I'm sitting in front of the small tv in my room with this huge Pokemon thing on. Dunno what it was about, the first/second movie, but it was big and there was this one guy complaining on stage on how all the adults called the series 'Pokeman'. It'd be interesting to rewatch that.

    To this day, I prefer the current than the old days. If you were a Pokemon fan back then, it wasn't special because everyone was and only so many were real fans and not just posers as mentioned above. Now if you say you're a Pokemon fan, it means something; that you still enjoy the series as a true fan and not just some poser.

  13. #13
    The Pride is Back! The White King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Megamerica
    Posts
    154

    Default

    My brother had pokemon cards while I invested in digimon cards, which turned out to be a bigger waste.
    Beware the Eye of the Crimson King.

  14. #14
    Registered User Coontank!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bibarr-"L" View Post
    Now is what I consider the Golden Age of Pokemon. For the first time ever, we are able to link to fans from across the globe and trade with them. It is no longer a fad, but a long running franchise with loyal fans. It is Nintendo's second best selling franchise, while at the same time is not popular enough for people to claim it is the tool of the devil anymore.

    You're completely right. I've loved Pokemon since the beginning too, so to be able to do something like this is amazing to me. And the people who only liked Pokemon for a short while as kids just because everyone else liked it won't understand that.

    Although I will say that there was something "golden" about '98 and Pokemon. I used to get so mad at my 2nd grade teachers because they called them "Pokee-mans." I used to go to this little comic store in my town and buy individual Pokemon cards for between $.50 and $3, or to Toys R Us to get the mini packages. I nearly cried when I got the Alakazam card. And the Sefari Zone in Red and Blue was just epic (nothing compares).

    That was pretty much my life back then.

  15. #15
    Registered User flyinglilypad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I used to get so mad at my 2nd grade teachers because they called them "Pokee-mans."
    :P everyone in my family called them "Pikachus".

    And while I love some of the new stuff, it really doesn't compare. I still enjoy playing the old red version over any other.

    I had Digimon and Pokemon cards, but Digimon cards were waaaay cheaper than Pokemon ones then.

    The sheer amount of Pokemon merchandise Wal*mart had back then was astounding.


    *insert out-of-date pokemon-related signature here*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •