Ghost-type pokemons with solid bodies?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Reila
  • 2 Post By coolcatkim22

Thread: Ghost-type pokemons with solid bodies?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Ghost-type pokemons with solid bodies?

I know it's weird to say that I've been inspired by my own blog post, but I wanted to hear other peole's ideas.

Ghost-types can float through walls as demonstrated by the PMD series and several anime episodes, but idk, we've seen some of them having solid bodies like Golurk and Golett. Yamask and Cofagrigus are also likely to have a solid body since they have to carry those things around. Drifblim can carry people, and Drifloon gets pulled around.

It could be just me with a biased thought of "Ghosts=transparent souls that can float through anything". Several ghosts like Casper and his family had bodies that could float anywhere, and like another user noted, Danny Phantom was depicted to be able to switch his body to be solid or not at will.

But Fighting-type moves and Normal-type moves don't work on Ghosts at all. This must mean that Jump Kicks just go directly through the Ghosts' body and has no effect... maybe?

Does anyone else have opinions on Ghosts-types having a solid body?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ghost-type pokemons with solid bodies?

I think they (Ghost Pokémon) can choose when their bodies are solid or not. Kinda like Fire-type Pokémon like Ponyta can choose to burn or not people who mount them, you know?

Blog Entries

I rather agree with Relia. I think that the Ghost Pokemon body is normally solid. But it seems like one of the defining characteristics of Ghost types is the ability to become intangible, aka pass through solid objects. It's like the DC comics character Martian Manhunter. He, like all Martians, are born with many abilities, one of them is the ability alter their normally solid bodies so they can pass through solid objects at will. And as you pointed out, Ghost types must use that power to protect themselves against the attacks of Fighting types and Normal types.

Although I wonder about Ghost types like Golett. Supposedly it's a clay statue brought to life. It certainly has a more solid and structured body than most Ghost Pokemon. Dusclops falls into that category too. Do they possess the power of intangibility too, despite having what appears to be a more rigid body?

Some ghost Pokemon can possess objects, like Rotom takes control of a fan or an oven. So they probably control bodies this way too. In the first Gen, ghosts looked like shadows or gas, so I assumed they weren't entirely solid. This could have changed, or perhaps the ghosts can take solid form if they want to. At the same time I wonder, there is a Normal Type Pokemon, Powarun, which I always thought was a cloud, is it solid or not?
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

hi

I always thought they could control their tangibility by thought.
    The Outrage and Juvarra like this.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Ghost-type Pokémon are mostly solid,with the exception of Gastly and Haunter. Rotom would be solid too, even changing formes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    I always thought they could control their tangibility by thought.
    Same here, I thought they were tangible by default but could become intangible or invisible at will.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I wonder if there's an actual anime scene where Fighting and Normal type moves go 'straight through' the Ghosts' body.

Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum Achromatic View Post
    I wonder if there's an actual anime scene where Fighting and Normal type moves go 'straight through' the Ghosts' body.
    There is. Jessie's Arbok using Tackle slipped through a Gastly (or was it Haunter?). I don't know what episode it is. It's on the first generation of the anime iirc.

URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Parting Shot! Petalburg Woods Forums!

That pic is so cute.

I've always though ghosts had the ability to make themselves transparent or solid. That's how I've always seen it. So if they want to avoid a fighting/normal type they simply just keep themselves transparent. But if they want to be held by their trainer/attack something with physical force, they make themselves solid.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    I rather agree with Relia. I think that the Ghost Pokemon body is normally solid. But it seems like one of the defining characteristics of Ghost types is the ability to become intangible, aka pass through solid objects. It's like the DC comics character Martian Manhunter. He, like all Martians, are born with many abilities, one of them is the ability alter their normally solid bodies so they can pass through solid objects at will. And as you pointed out, Ghost types must use that power to protect themselves against the attacks of Fighting types and Normal types.
    It also conveniently explains how Foresight works against them.

They decide when they want to be solid

Ok. The reason why that ghost pokemon is hard is... well... it has a bonner