Gender differences concept

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yato

Thread: Gender differences concept

Default Gender differences concept

Do you think there is some concept behind gender differences? For example, male Torchic have a black spot on their ass: is there a reason?

Default Re: Gender differences concept

Why Shouldn't they? Makes more sense to have gender differences then not.
    Sexual dimorphism is actually incredibly common in most forms of Life.
    In fact, more Pokemon should have gender Differences then there are.

On that note, it's it kind of Ironic that Torchic is sexually dimorphic
    When it's very difficult to tell the difference between
    male and female in most bird species, especially Chicks.

Blog Entries

Probably, because in real life some animals have very notable gender differences. Like male lions have the hair around their head while female lions don't. With Torchic, there are hens and roosters that are notably different. Although Torchic is only a chick, it still works I guess.
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest

team black

Torchic has gender differences? That is news to me. *checks* Okay, it's like one pixel of difference. Yeah, I would NOT have noticed that without being told.

Speaking of lions, compare male and female Shinx; the female's hair is a little shorter (which is a little more visible as a Luxio/Luxray than here) and her two hind paws are blue instead of black.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Torchic has gender differences? That is news to me. *checks* Okay, it's like one pixel of difference. Yeah, I would NOT have noticed that without being told.

Speaking of lions, compare male and female Shinx; the female's hair is a little shorter (which is a little more visible as a Luxio/Luxray than here) and her two hind paws are blue instead of black.
    I'm in the same boat. I couldn't figure out what was different about them until now. o.o

Some gender differences seem really unnecessary to me. However, there are the ones like Venusaur (with the females having a seed in their flower) that I really appreciate. Also we get those Pokemon like Wobbuffet with a really wonderful female form. There's not much of a reason behind that one other than for the lulz.

Blog Entries

I like the idea of gender differences. Like the others said, many real animals have visible gender differences, and since the series introduced the idea of gender, adding on visual differences is a nice extra touch that can really be appreciated. Okay, so a lot of Pokemon don't have gender differences still, but the designers just haven't thought of those, and you could pass it off as researchers not having figured them out yet, or the animals just not having any distinguishing differences.

I like the differences as long as GF didn't just run out of ideas for a difference and messed up a Pokemon. I showed a friend a female Golbat and he first guessed that the game had undergone censorship due to the smaller and less intimidating teeth compared to another Golbat in another game. I had to explain that even though the teeth were shorter in the newer games, they hadn't been changed this much and not all Golbat looked like that.

I like difference in colours. I don't like difference in when they for instance remove a feature from a Pokemon or make it smaller, because it feels cheap and unoriginal. It's okay if they remove something, then add something else. GF often choose the easy way, but this ruins some Pokemon, so I won't catch them. I don't know if anyone feels the same, or maybe some people like these Pokemon as well. Shorter or longer hair doesn't matter that much though, because that's a matter of taste, and if GF want they can do some changes in hairstyle, because that's coming up with new ideas, which is good. But if I send out a Pokemon with small teeth, it would look ridiculous. Not that its stats are affected by this, but it looks bad, especially if it's using a bite attack.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

The differences are likely to be due to similar processes that shape sexual dimorphism in real animals such as sexual selection, since we know genes exist in the Pokemon world. For example, male Unfezant with brighter colours and bigger masks may be more attractive to females, and thus produce more offspring.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

The color difference in Hippodawns made me mistake the female for a shiny ;_; Something other than color differences would be better - like tail shapes or number of spikes etc
    Sawsbuck should've had a doe counterpart, that saying.