Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

Default Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

Just like the tag line says, which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

I have played Pokémon since I had the dexterity to hold a controller, however it was not until recently that I have decided to play a more technical game. I am looking to breed and raise the strongest Pokémon I possibly can!

It all starts with the Pokémon you choose at the start. So, present your arguments. Snivy, Tepig, or Oshawott?

Default Re: Pokemon White : which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other

I started with Oshawott.
    In games, imo, the more effective eay of building a team is by coverage (as Blue says before you battle him for the Champion title: "I've assembled teams that can defeat any pokemon" or something similar). That said, Snivy is discarded, his offensive movepool is really lame in terms of coverage (aerial ace, dragon tail and that´s all, aquatail comes in B2W2). But if you'd get a Contrary Snivy as starter, then it becomes a nice option. In white I trained a snivy, but it worried me how it could battle a limited number of opponents. Samurott gets ice beam, xscissor, grass knot and night slash.

Emboar is quite slow, Samurott is more balanced stat-wise. These are my reasons for picking the otter.
    3DS-FC: 0490-4967-8538
    My Safari: Psychic, with Abra, Espurr & Gothorita
    ING: Pablo.

Default Re: Pokemon White : which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other

oshawott cos it can surf. Tbh i dislike all the unova starters.

I chose Oshawott. Snivy's evolution has no legs, and grass has a trillion weakness. Tepig looks, well really really fat...

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

Quote Originally Posted by PiPie314 View Post
    Tepig looks, well really really fat...
    thats what turned me off too.

The leaf lives on... JustAnotherLeafeon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Snivy because it's a challenge. And it's fast.

But to be honest I just always end up going for the grass types.
    Once upon a time there was a leafeon. There wasn't anything special about him. He was just a regular leafeon.
    But there's a story behind the leafeon.

Credit where credit is due.
    Oh look. A deviantART.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I chose Oshawott, who is the best Unova starter because otters are one of the coolest, most awesome animals on the planet and I adore them. I thought the scalchop was a really original and clever idea, not to mention Samurott's mustache of glory.

Registered User BigBadButterfree's Avatar

Snivy, because it and its evolutions are beautiful. I don't think not having legs has to be a negative, it makes it unique! All though those little stubs that pass as hands make Serperior... Interesting...

It's not that I didn't like Oshawott, I chose it in Black 2, but my brother chose it. And we sort of have a thing where he, our friend and I tend to pick different starters.

I would have liked Tepig's family as well, but for some reason someone down at Nintendo decided "you know what would be a great idea! ANOTHER fire/fighting type starter!"

I appreciate your opinions, I am looking for a more..... scientific approach to this though. I plan on breeding and such using IVs and EVs so I was wondering on a more stat and evolution based scenario.

gone...
    Blog Entries
    Add Zexy on Facebook
    Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

I got played with Gen 5...

When I first saw the starters, I despised Snivy for being girl-ish and Oshawott for its peculiar design. Tepig looked okay, I took Tepig.
    Later on, I learned about the final forms... Damn, I said, I am going with Oshawott in Grey, Samurott rocks!

Except that BW2 came instead of Grey, and the trailer had a canon team of Emboar, Arcanine and Lucario... I had to go with Emboar again...

Now, I have all three because of trades, yet I prefer Oshawott the most, even though I got twice with Tepig...
    The War Room
    Random Messages

These two images are more than enough to describe all the fun I had in this forum all over the past year...
    BMGF, 2013-2014... I will never forget you.
    Just wait a little, I'll come back...

Registered User Pokémon Spectrum's Avatar

Default Re: Gen V: which starter did you choose and why is it superior to the other two?

Oshawott, because there aren't that many Water-types available to you until you you can get Surf. In fact, I believe that Panpour is the only one.
    I was born to be a winner... but I'll settle for being an ordinary Trainer.

Blog Entries

Tepig, though, in no way do I believe it is the Serperior of the three starters. I chose it simply because it is a Fire-Type. In BW2, I opted for the much better Oshawott~

I picked Tepig because Pansage> pour/sear
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Blog Entries
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

I went with Snivy because I like grass types and it looked the coolest but it probably isn't the best one, loses to fire and the water guy learns X-Scissor and Ice Beam etc to kill it.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Snivy in Black version... which I regretted. A lot.

Oshawott in Black2. Very useful, Surf, Ice Beam, and even X-scissor... it learns pretty much a lot of stuff so of course, most useful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast