In game, are the different regions (Johto, Kanto, etc.) aware of each other?

Thread: In game, are the different regions (Johto, Kanto, etc.) aware of each other?

Follow churple On Twitter
    Follow churple on Tumblr

Question In game, are the different regions (Johto, Kanto, etc.) aware of each other?

I am in the process of writing a fanfiction based in Hoenn and I was curious as to whether or not each region is as divided as the individual games make them out to be. I would imagine if it were real life, they would have become aware of each other eventually. I wanted my fanfiction to be based more around the game as opposed to the anime or movies (so for instance, Ash can't be that linking factor).

I would really appreciate any input! It's been a while since I've played my original set of games...what with college and work and all. But at least I have my Pokemon fangirl priorities in order now, right?

Default Re: In game, are the different regions (Johto, Kanto, etc.) aware of each other?

They're definitely aware of each other. There are numerous in-game references linking each region to at least one other region.
    And given their technology (ships to say the least), it would be highly unlikely for them to not be aware of one another, even if there was no in-game indication of it.

In-game references:
    - Kanto to Johto - obviously
    - Kanto to Sevii Islands - FireRed/LeafGreen
    - Hoenn to Johto - Brendan moved between regions before the start of the game
    - Sinnoh to Johto - the Red Gyarados was mentioned in Diamond/Pearl
    - Unova to at least some other region - Pikachu appears in the landscaping in Unova despite there being no Pikachus in the region
    - Sinnoh to Unova - Cynthia was in both
    - Kanto to Unova - the Team Rocket grunt moved to Unova
    - Hoenn to Unova - some Team Aqua or Team Magma guy moved to Unova in Black2/White2 (I never played it... jyst what I've heard)
    And most likely there are lots of others that I'm not thinking of or missed.

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

Default Re: In game, are the different regions (Johto, Kanto, etc.) aware of each other?

Also, Jasmine(Johto steel-type gym leader) can be seen in Sunnyshore city in Sinnoh.
    And I think in B2W2, there is a Pokemon world tournament where you can battle gym leaders and champions from all the regions.
    And some guy in the Desert Resort in Unova mentions something about being from Hoenn...
    So they are definitely aware of each other.
    and it it thought that all the main regions are part of one nation, hence the national Pokedex.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

Follow churple On Twitter
    Follow churple on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    They're definitely aware of each other. There are numerous in-game references linking each region to at least one other region.
    And given their technology (ships to say the least), it would be highly unlikely for them to not be aware of one another, even if there was no in-game indication of it.

In-game references:
    - Kanto to Johto - obviously
    - Kanto to Sevii Islands - FireRed/LeafGreen
    - Hoenn to Johto - Brendan moved between regions before the start of the game
    - Sinnoh to Johto - the Red Gyarados was mentioned in Diamond/Pearl
    - Unova to at least some other region - Pikachu appears in the landscaping in Unova despite there being no Pikachus in the region
    - Sinnoh to Unova - Cynthia was in both
    - Kanto to Unova - the Team Rocket grunt moved to Unova
    - Hoenn to Unova - some Team Aqua or Team Magma guy moved to Unova in Black2/White2 (I never played it... jyst what I've heard)
    And most likely there are lots of others that I'm not thinking of or missed.
    Thank you so much! This was very helpful. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Togekiss View Post
    Also, Jasmine(Johto steel-type gym leader) can be seen in Sunnyshore city in Sinnoh.
    And I think in B2W2, there is a Pokemon world tournament where you can battle gym leaders and champions from all the regions.
    And some guy in the Desert Resort in Unova mentions something about being from Hoenn...
    So they are definitely aware of each other.
    and it it thought that all the main regions are part of one nation, hence the national Pokedex.
    Thanks! I haven't played B/W 1 or 2 yet, but I was also curious as to where Unova is in relation to the other regions...I really liked the idea of having all the regions seem synonymous to regions in Japan but Unova isn't there?
    Last edited by Zeb; 24th September 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by churple View Post

Thanks! I haven't played B/W 1 or 2 yet, but I was also curious as to where Unova is in relation to the other regions...I really liked the idea of having all the regions seem synonymous to regions in Japan but Unova isn't there?
    Unova is like very far away compared to the other regions. You need an airplane to go there, but from Kanto to Hoenn or Kanto to Sinnoh, you could go by ship.

Avatar and signature made by me.

hi

Well, I'm pretty sure that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are all in the same country, so yes.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Unova is based on New York City, or so I've heard. But I did look at it on a map and it's the same shape.
    Now, that alone doesn't indicate anything because it's the Pokémon world and New York City could be right next to Japan, but they did take a plane in the anime which might indicate a further distance. There may have also been some in-game references, but I can't think of any. Also there are absolutely no non-Unova Pokémon in the whole region so that could also indicate that it's far away (then again, non-Unova Pokémon start appearing after you've beaten the game so it could just be a gameplay element).

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Unova is based on New York City, or so I've heard. But I did look at it on a map and it's the same shape.
    Now, that alone doesn't indicate anything because it's the Pokémon world and New York City could be right next to Japan, but they did take a plane in the anime which might indicate a further distance. There may have also been some in-game references, but I can't think of any. Also there are absolutely no non-Unova Pokémon in the whole region so that could also indicate that it's far away (then again, non-Unova Pokémon start appearing after you've beaten the game so it could just be a gameplay element).
    It's stated in game to be further away than the others.

And to relate to the topic the games are definitely aware of each other as has been already mentioned

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

They definitely are. Characters are stated or are seen to travel around. I'm pretty sure it's also part of the canon that Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are in the same country/group of countries. Unova's much further away, so it may or may not be.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Ѵαηqμίşℎℯr ℴƒ ℳℴrℸαℓş Black Dragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, of course they are aware if them. How else would people get different pokemon? Besides trading?

~~ℱℴrღαℓℓϒ ℸℎℯ ℸωίℓίℊℎℸ ķηίℊℎℸ~~

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

They are all aware of each other, I would believe. People travel between regions and get Pokemon from them, they may even move and live in a different region if they choose.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They definitely are. I'm assuming you're new since this a well known fact in the fandom. If you want to write a fic based on the games then you should also know about the timeline. Kanto and Hoenn games are concurrent. Johto and Sinnoh games take place three years after Kanto and Hoenn. Black and White take place some time after Johto and Sinnoh. Popular consensus says it's ten years because of a few clues and it's a nice round number. Black 2 and White 2 take place two years after BW. Here's a link to a timeline if you want more detail.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

There's no reason they are not aware of each other, at least certain people are. This is most definitely the case between Kanto and Johto, due to their neighbouring locales. I am sure there are some people in-game that are aware of the new places, though it's not likely the common citizen to be aware. In fact, they might have some form of culture shock because things work differently in different places! The Hoenns might be surprised to see the lack of Fire-types in Sinnoh, for example.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow Herbizarre on Tumblr Visit Herbizarre's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cerony View Post
    Black and White take place some time after Johto and Sinnoh. Popular consensus says it's ten years because of a few clues and it's a nice round number.
    The Rocket Grunt you defeat in Kanto that moved into Unova has a child. That little boy looks like he is 8-10 years old, so yes 10 years is a good estimation.
    I support : BiologyShipping, GodzillaShipping, GreatRocketShipping, RebelShipping, TransceiverShipping, Fox X Krystal, Leon S. Kennedy X Ada Wong, Leon X Lucy Liberty, FalSam, LGMShipping and Escavalier x Lilligant. This signature image is the perfect place to name all the ships I support without wasting space on the signature, mwa ha ha !
    Click here to view a fanfic of my crossover OTP : Beastman (F-Zero) and Mars (Pokémon).

From the bulbapedia timeline:

From this page:
    History of the Pokémon world - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

EDIT:REFORMATTING