Forming a definition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming a definition

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Default Forming a definition

Maybe this has been done and I just haven't seen it, but how do you define a Novelty Pokémon?

I think this has traditionally been defined as a "gimmick" Pokémon, but some gimmick Pokémon can be useful in battle. Do they still count?

Opinions please.

PDL

Default Re: Forming a definition

Quote Originally Posted by The dark lord trombonator View Post
    Opinions please.
    My definition would be basically any Pokémon that takes a game mechanic within the RPG and pretty much runs with it. It uses it to an extent that that is what the Pokémon is best known for.

Smeargle for instance, it's "gimmick" is that it can learn almost any move in the game, Ditto can transform into it's opponent, Castform changes with weather, Eevee has many evolution triggers... etc.

This also isn't limited to normal types either.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

To me, a novelty Pokémon is a single-stage Pokémon with an unique ability (Kecleon's Color Change, Castform's Forecast, Phione and Manaphy's Hydration), a certain move (usually very rare) strongly assigned to it (Ditto's Transform, Smeargle's Sketch, Delibird's Present, Unown's Hidden Power) or an other special feature (Ditto's excellent breeding help, Unown's 28 different forms).

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

To me, a novelty Pokemon is a Pokemon with relatively weak base stats, but also has something that lets it stand out. (like Ditto Transforming into any Pokemon, Spinda's nearly infinite amount of spot patterns and Smeargle Sketching almost any move).

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Any Pokemon that focuses completely on a single game mechanic and is used to showcase said mechanic. It generally isn't a very useful pokemon without the mechanic.

Examples:
    Plusle and Minun(Double Battles)
    Chatot(Microphone)
    Ditto(Transforming and Breeding)
    ETC.

Blog Entries

Something i wanna throw in the trash because it doesn't evolve and has horrible stats. (But, Plusle and Minun have decend spec. atk)
    -Gray [n.] Any achromatic color; any color with zero chroma, intermediate between white and black.-
    Assassins' Creed: Reborn, my newest RP

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

a gimick pokemon is generally a unique pokemon with terrible stats. They all have something about them that is never used by any other pokemon. Like with Plusle and Minun who are practically designed for double battles, or Castform and his weather thing.

Or Chatot and Chatter.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

To me, a gimmick pokemon is a pokemon that's unique by focusing on a feature that almost no other pokemon use (with the exception of Spinda and confusion, and possibly Darkrai and sleep, since those ailments can be easily given by other means.) Therefore, this definition includes pokemon like Groudon (has a lot of moves that are benefited by its auto-sun), Arceus (who else uses the plates in such a fashion), and Smeargle (the only one that can sketch any other move.)

PDL

What about gimmick Pokémon that happen to also be very strong? Do they count as "gimmick Pokémon" under your definitions?

Wobbuffet. It has the same base stat total as Pachirisu and others, it's gimmick revolves around not attacking first and retaliating. However, it's a gamebreaker due to slight tweaking and it's ability.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

I describe them as Pokémon that showcase new features in new generations, and usually lack exceptional battling skill.

Examples:
    Spinda, Castform, Shedninja, Plusle, Minun, Volbeat, Illumise, Chatot, Kecleon and Ditto

I would say Pokemon that are based on using one game mechanic, as others have said. Novelty Pokemon are different than gimmick pokemon in that they are usually just rare, weak pokemon (babies, Delibird, Farfetch'd) that are not practical for battling (no Delibird's ability does NOT make it worthwhile). And legendaries like Arceus can be gimmick pokemon if, like Arceus, they depend on an item or some other mechanic to stand out.

Platinum FC: 3309 8543 2285 (Evan)

Yes, that's really my neck The dark lord trombonator's Avatar Former Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief

Hey, great ideas, guys.

I don't think baby Pokémon should be included as gimmicks. I like the idea that those who evolve cannot be included, and I agree with most of your examples.

Farfetch'd was only mentioned once, and I'd always thought it was a gimmick especially because of its situation in the Kanto games. Did you guys overlook it, or have I always been wrong?

Blog Entries

I like the idea that those who evolve cannot be included
    So Wynaut and Wobbuffet don't count despite only having one battle style?

Want them in PokeMart? Rare Candy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ♫Green♫ View Post
    I describe them as Pokémon that showcase new features in new generations, and usually lack exceptional battling skill.
    Also, some other stuff like Luvdisc. It's not about a new feature, but he holds Heart Scales and trainers need them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast