an excellent blog I found about Pokemon vs. mature games, maturity, and age
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an excellent blog I found about Pokemon vs. mature games, maturity, and age

Protecting Gotham City Geodude's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Geodude On Twitter
    Follow Geodude on Tumblr

Arrow an excellent blog I found about Pokemon vs. mature games, maturity, and age

XBL: Shiny Geodude -- PSN: ShinyGeodude
    3DS: 3050 7720 3499
    Pokemon TCG Online: shinygeodude

Blog Entries

Excellent article.

And the caption under the screenshot of Blaine and Ash made me LOL.
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

I've been hanging around GS forums for a while, and GabuEx is one of the smarter members there. With forum members constantly whining about "casual" games taking over the industry, blogs like that are a breath of fresh air.

Descending into madness Umbreon Freak's Avatar

Follow Umbreon Freak on Tumblr

I couldn't agree with this guy more.
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-2624-7117
    Ice-Type Safari: Snover, Bergmite, and Cloyster

Blog Entries

*claps* Great article. ^^ This would probably be a good read for kids at the "bullying because of likes" age.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's awesome. Although I think he could have varied his sources more--he talks mostly about the games, but all his Pokémon pictures save for the one of himself with the games are from the show.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Brother View Post
    *claps* Great article. ^^ This would probably be a good read for kids at the "bullying because of likes" age.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. The next time anyone gives me grief about being a college student and still playing Pokemon, I'll be showing them this.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

This guy is right.

Fundamentally, we're conditioned by society as we grow up to make something of ourselves. That development occurs up and through high school and probably why that stage in life may feel pressuring. Beyond that, I've found that at this age (20+), you can like almost anything and not get serious flak for it if you only give it a casual mention. Once you've grown into 'your' personality, people don't see much of a reason for someone to 'change' anymore and just accept them for who they are. That's just my experience.

Regional think on how people are 'expected' to grow still exist, but in all truth, life would be better off if having to be a certain 'this' wasn't placed as such a priority in our growing up.

-In Simple Harmony-

absurdity complete plasticporygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    This guy is right.

Fundamentally, we're conditioned by society as we grow up to make something of ourselves. That development occurs up and through high school and probably why that stage in life may feel pressuring. Beyond that, I've found that at this age (20+), you can like almost anything and not get serious flak for it if you only give it a casual mention. Once you've grown into 'your' personality, people don't see much of a reason for someone to 'change' anymore and just accept them for who they are. That's just my experience.

Regional think on how people are 'expected' to grow still exist, but in all truth, life would be better off if having to be a certain 'this' wasn't placed as such a priority in our growing up.

I agree here. If one wants to play Pokemon, let them be. One must not be restricted to merely watching the violence on TV and doing the same on his PSP or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    War brings out the most inhuman in all of us.
    Agreed, my man. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    Although I think he could have varied his sources more--he talks mostly about the games, but all his Pokémon pictures save for the one of himself with the games are from the show.
    In his defense, in-game pictures don't really present anything that really works as an illustration to an article like this.
    So.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a lot of dialogue about being friends with your pokemon and the importance of the points he brings up.

Definitely a very good article. It illustrates exactly why anyone who believes Pokemon to be too 'childish' for people in their teens and beyond are just wrong.

Blog Entries

Very good article.

Now I can get this one weaboo who has a grudge against me and tries to attack me for liking Pokemon to shut up xD

I think GabuEx brings up an excellent point of discussion - age does not reflect interest and a more effective way to satisfy someone else's vexation with what you're interested in is to continue what you do and leave it at that. Feeling the way one does is no crime even if getting lost in such muses of nostalgia and yesteryear isn't a natural occurence. Heck, I still love Pokémon, Dragonball, Toy Story, and what not. More "mature" content isn't more mature content (violence, sex, and profanity does not fall in place with being "mature", quite the antithesis... at least, how "sex" is gratuitously displayed in games, films, television, and etc), it's just a way of trying to gain superiority and establish a social and age structure of sorts. I feel most of those "mature" gamers are interested in "kiddie" things as well in their heart it's just too mortifying for them to openly admit to that, so they decide to in turn belittle others who do show their like for that as a response (rather than back up their so-called "superiority" by using their "mature" content). And "Kiddie" games can be just as deep as "mature" games.

But don't get me wrong, I love "mature" games and general media as much as the next person. Gears of War? Call of Duty? Halo? Half-Life? Crysis? Bioshock? Unreal? Doom? Quake? F.E.A.R.? Elder Scrolls? Far Cry? (though I do feel the franchise of Halo and Gears of War is a tad overrated and overly appraised) Heat? Batman Begins? The Dark Knight? Sign me up. I'd love to talk up such things. But I love nostalgia and still love things along Pokémon's nature. I'm going to be 20 next month and in that regard I doubt I'll change even a decade from now. My own preferences are my own preferences, just like everyone's own preferences are everyone's own preferences. Everyone has their own interests. Someday soon I wish these pseudo-"mature" gamers and folk would accept and respect that...
    Last edited by ShadowDeeps; 25th November 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Awesome blog, i completely agree with this guy.
    "It is as though a thousand mouths cry out in pain!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast