Evolution

Thread: Evolution

Blog Entries

Default Evolution

Sorry if there's already a thread like this

But, in the whole franchise, evolution is treated in different ways. In the games, the pokemon have to reach a certain tier, some have to learn a move and other hold an item.

So, what's your opinion on evolution. How does it happen? How some items or stones affect the Pokemon to the point of evolution?
    :D

Default Re: Evolution

Stones kind of make sense because supposedly its radiation from the stone that causes the evolution, which would be similar to like, radiation from nuclear waste causing a mutation. Except that the radiation from the stones isn't universal... only certain Pokémon are affected by radiation from certain stones.

Held items don't usually make much sense. I mean, if a Slowpoke holds a King's Rock it can become Slowking? Slowpoke evolves into Slowbro when a Shellder bites its tail... I would assume it would evolve into Slowking when a Shellder bites its head. But apparenly that's not the case.

Moves never make sense... they even contradict earlier games. Why can a Lickitung with Rollout evolve in Generation V but not Generation IV? At least held items make sense since any new evolutions are caused by items not available in previous generations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    Stones kind of make sense because supposedly its radiation from the stone that causes the evolution, which would be similar to like, radiation from nuclear waste causing a mutation. Except that the radiation from the stones isn't universal... only certain Pokémon are affected by radiation from certain stones.

Held items don't usually make much sense. I mean, if a Slowpoke holds a King's Rock it can become Slowking? Slowpoke evolves into Slowbro when a Shellder bites its tail... I would assume it would evolve into Slowking when a Shellder bites its head. But apparenly that's not the case.

Moves never make sense... they even contradict earlier games. Why can a Lickitung with Rollout evolve in Generation V but not Generation IV? At least held items make sense since any new evolutions are caused by items not available in previous generations.
    Wow, Pokemon names are automatically linked ...
    Lickitung can evolve at the fourth Generation, I think you meant in Generation II or III
    Fair point on the stones, but what about trades and level evolutions?

Zeb
    vital spirit. Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Some of the trade evolutions like Scyther and Onix with Metal Coat make sense. Their bodies are fusing with it, I guess. Karrablast and Shelmet also are logical, as when they are traded Karrablast steals Shelmet's shell.

I have no idea why Machamp and others need to be traded though, or how it causes it them to evolve.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

Personally, I think of the trade evolution this way. In the original series, Gengar, Alakazam, and Machamp were sort of the "masters" of their respective types. And to master something you need to practice in many different settings, under different teaching methods. I think it's sort of the same idea with Pokemon experience, just approached a bit different.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    Personally, I think of the trade evolution this way. In the original series, Gengar, Alakazam, and Machamp were sort of the "masters" of their respective types. And to master something you need to practice in many different settings, under different teaching methods. I think it's sort of the same idea with Pokemon experience, just approached a bit different.
    Out of the "Pokeverse" setting, trade evolution were implemented to promote social behavior in little kids, so they put some of the best Pokemon to evolve by trading.

But, in the "Pokeverse" setting, I don't really see how trading makes pokemon evolve, maybe the trading machine or whatever has some chemicals?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    I really hated how Lickilicky and Mamoswine's evolution ways contradicted past games
    Especially since up to gen 4 (and even in gen 4 itself other than these specific two) they always did their best to keep continuity and never contradict past games - that's why Eevee doesn't evolve into Espeon/Umbreon with Sun/Moon Stone and doesn't evolve into Leafeon with Leaf Stone
    I hoped they'd fix it and make it so Lickitung and Piloswine can evolve by level up with their move only in Sinnoh and newer regions, while in older regions they'd have to hold some new item in addition to it in order to evolve... they had a chance to do it in HGSS - but sadly, they didn't...

hi

Evolution, I think, is something that happens to help a species reach it's potential. It's in them, when they are physically capable to, to become more powerful creatures. Now, they don't have to if it isn't necessary or if they don't want to but it's there if they need it.

As for why certain things cause certain evolutions, some I think are just the creators way of making the game unnecessarily convoluted but I'll try to explain them anyways.

Leveling up, is self explanatory. As said before, when they are physically prepared for such an intense change in their bodies to happen, they can evolve.

Stones have some sort of power, the essence of the nature. Certain Pokemon may not be capable of achieving their evolution no matter what level they are simply because they don't have the power to jump start their evolution on their own. That's why they need the power of the plants, the fires, the waters, the electricity, the moon, the dawn, the dusk, or the shiny (I'm not entirely sure what power the last four stones gives off, I'm still trying to figure that out). In Eevee's case though, it's more of a case of it's DNA being very easily manipulated. The same thing goes for certain time and places. The sun's rays, the moon light, or the attributes of a place may also jump start an evolution.

Trading seems to have something to do with a Pokemon obtaining some power from it somehow. Whether it be because they crossed paths with another trainer's Pokemon, being with a new trainer or because there is something about the trading process (like the machine they get traded with emits some sort of energy).

Happiness is more of a well-being thing. A Pokemon can only evolve if they're mental condition is one that can handle the strain as their species's minds may be more fragile then others. Of course, they can't just evolve if they are just average happiness, they have to be extremely happy.

Needing high attack, high defense or balanced attack and defense is very simply. When it comes time for the Pokemon to evolve they have developed different ways to evolve to suit their strengths. If it's in attack, then they'll become a Pokemon strong with attacks, likewise with defense and if they are even then a Pokemon that is good at both. Beauty is the same way, if a Pokemon is pretty they will become a Pokemon of beauty.

Holding an item may mean that the item some how helps them to achieve evolution, like the king's rock. The king's rock seems to have some sort of power, something that causes Slowpokes and Poliwhirls to be king like. Metal coat, obviously gives Onix a metal coat. Etc, etc...

A certain move may mean that the Pokemon needs a new form in order to best use their attack.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.