Are the Eeveelutions overrated? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Are the Eeveelutions overrated?

Where is my Mega Zoroark? Bad Apple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are the Eeveelutions overrated?

I don't really see them as overrated, but more like "overused".

Seriously, everyone I know (including myself) have at least 1 eeveelution on their team. But the one that's most overrused in my opinion is Umbreon. Everytime I go onto Fanfiction.net and there's a fanfiction where the main character is an eeveelution, IT'S ALMOST ALWAYS AN UMBREON. I get it, he was the first dark type and his shiny form looks pretty cool, but that's about all the interesting things I can find about Umbreon. I like the other ones a lot more when it comes to design, because I think Vaporeon, Leafeon, and Sylveon have some of the most interesting designs out of all the Eeveelutions. Umbreon is just a black fox thing with gold rings and red eyes, that's about it. Vaporeon has a unique tail, a neck-fin thing, and no fur whatsoever. Leafeon actually has leaves for ears, and Sylveon is like Sailor Moon! I just don't understand why people find Umbreon to be so cool.

This just turned into a whole rant about my disliking towards Umbreon...
    "I see you have no soul. Want mine? It's black and gooey" -The Frozen Man

With Lady Rainicorn too! Miss Mew's Avatar

I loooovvveee them, so I'll say they are, but for a good reason. THEY'RE ADORABLE!

Somebody please check out my RP!!! Claimer of moody and present!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    I don't really see them as overrated, but more like "overused".

Seriously, everyone I know (including myself) have at least 1 eeveelution on their team. But the one that's most overrused in my opinion is Umbreon. Everytime I go onto Fanfiction.net and there's a fanfiction where the main character is an eeveelution, IT'S ALMOST ALWAYS AN UMBREON. I get it, he was the first dark type and his shiny form looks pretty cool, but that's about all the interesting things I can find about Umbreon. I like the other ones a lot more when it comes to design, because I think Vaporeon, Leafeon, and Sylveon have some of the most interesting designs out of all the Eeveelutions. Umbreon is just a black fox thing with gold rings and red eyes, that's about it. Vaporeon has a unique tail, a neck-fin thing, and no fur whatsoever. Leafeon actually has leaves for ears, and Sylveon is like Sailor Moon! I just don't understand why people find Umbreon to be so cool.

This just turned into a whole rant about my disliking towards Umbreon...
    Because Umbreon is the only Eeveelution to have red eyes with black pupils. It's eyes make it stand out from his group. All the other Eeveelutions are stuck with large eyes with no pupils and just the glossy glittering features.

Blog Entries

Umbreon and Espeon seem to be the most overused while Leafeon doesn't get much exposure, or at least in the anime it doesn't.
    I'll admit that I love Umbreon and I think it's the cutest of the Eeveelutions (I can have a pretty weird taste in what I consider "cute" sometimes) but I agree that it along with Espeon and Eevee itself get overused so much that some of the others don't get much time to shine. I think the ones I see used the least are probably Jolteon and Leafeon. I think Sylveon will join Umbreon and Espeon in the overused category soon though.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

Silver Strategician LadyScathach's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cilan View Post
    I think it's cool that Eevee has so many different evolutions, but do you think that it really needs so many and are the evolutions overrated? Battle wise in the games they're not that strong of battlers, or at least that's from my own experience. I think the best battler is Leafeon since it really helped me out in Platinum. Umbreon is probably my favorite altogether but there are batter Dark types to battle with. I'll admit I like the designs for a lot of them but I think that they should either stop at Sylveon or maybe give it 2 more evolutions and leave it at 10 since anything more than that will be too much.
    Leafeon is terrible. lol

That being said, they get much more hype than their battling abilities deserve. But then again, Umbreon, Espeon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon are actually pretty useful in battle. Admittedly using an Eeveelution requires a lot of team support though.

Adventuring through Kalos Aamir's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Aamir On Twitter

Default Are the Eeveelutions overrated?

They're not overrated, they were rated just right ;) Fans love them because its really cool that one pokémon can turn into all of these different things. I personally love Leafeon and Flareon the best. You can compose an entire team of them and win a lot of battles.

Tapatalk Signature? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Weavile Forever

I personally don't think Leafeon is terrible, but I guess it all depends.

The one thing about trying to get an Eeveelution in the games that bothers me is that unless Eevee is at a low enough level it won't learn decent moves right away. I think the Eevee you get in DPP is at lv 20 or so, Leafeon learn Razor Leaf and Glaceon learns Icy Wind at lv 17, so unless you breed Eevee it'll miss out on those moves and won't learn any other goos moves of its type until alter on or unless you use a TM or go to the Move Learner with a Heart Scale.

~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Cilan View Post
    I personally don't think Leafeon is terrible, but I guess it all depends.

The one thing about trying to get an Eeveelution in the games that bothers me is that unless Eevee is at a low enough level it won't learn decent moves right away. I think the Eevee you get in DPP is at lv 20 or so, Leafeon learn Razor Leaf and Glaceon learns Icy Wind at lv 17, so unless you breed Eevee it'll miss out on those moves and won't learn any other goos moves of its type until alter on or unless you use a TM or go to the Move Learner with a Heart Scale.
    That was the main problem when I played Platinum. I had SR like a million times to get a female Eevee from Bebe and leave it at the daycare to get Eevee eggs - all just to get it learn some decent moves. B2W2 did a good job in lowering the encounter levels of the Eevees, but unfortunately, you can't level up your Eevee right away because of the limited access to getting it to learn good moves until post-game.

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

I personally don't think they're overrated. Aside from Umbreon, all of them can hit reasonably hard (and even then, Umbreon is basically just going to be using Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell, so it's great for support). Plus, I feel like the allure of the Eeveelutions is that Eevee is one of the most unique Pokemon in the game due to its protean nature; it can evolve by friendship, stones, or leveling up in a specific location, and I think that's pretty cool. Aesthetically? Uh, I feel Umbreon is really overrated in that regard: it's a black dog with yellow rings around it. Congratulations, I guess. I like Vaporeon enough, but other than that I don't really care for them. I know absolutely nothing about fandoms, though, and I don't really care to know if the Eeveelutions get much attention in that sphere of the internet.

Blog Entries

Hmm... no, I don't think they are. I think a better question would be: Are they over-used? You could say that Eevee didn't really deserve eight evolutions, and that other Pokemon could have had that opportunity instead, such as, say, Farfetch'd. I think if we're only going to get one Eeveelution next generation (Sylveon), then that'll show that Game Freak aren't focusing on the family quite as much as they used to.

Trophies

Only some of the Eeveelutions are overrated (e.g. Espeon and Umbreon). I don't see why they are that popular besides Umbreon with its unique design out of the other ones. In fanfics and other art and stuff, it is way too overrated (especially Umbreon). I've checked on some sites and I found the Eevee (and other Eeveelutions) search yields more results than most other Pokemon. Underrated Eeveelutions are like... Leafeon and Glaceon.
    No.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eevee is a pretty clever concept with a lot of variety, not to mention adorable! I know they've been heavily marketed in Japan in advance of Sylveon's release, but it's not as bad as Pikachu getting shoved down everyone's throats in every single thing.

In the games, they also can be great assets. I used a Vaporeon on my main Black 2 team and she became a reliable tank. I want to make an Eeveelution team in the future.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

I would say no they're not except. Though this is coming from someone with an Umbreon in both his HeartGold team and Black 2 team. I really like the concept of the Eevee having many evolution of different types and I'd like to see at least 2 or 3 more. They all have unique designs and some ,like Umbreon and Vaporeon, are pretty useful and decent battlers. Based on my experience, Umbreon is an excellent tank and knows a good number of attacks for me to want to use it twice.

Pulchritudinously Purple Professor Applewood's Avatar

In a word, and in my opinion: yes. I think they qualify, mostly in the realms of fan art, fanfiction and roleplay. There's nothing wrong with that, though!

I personally find the Pokémon themselves quite adorable, but it does baffle me that they enjoy such a wealth of popularity when there are so many other Pokémon that have even better, or at least comparable, concepts or designs. Perhaps the simplicity is part of the charm, though, and the unique gimmick of them all coming from the same base form has no doubt contributed. One cannot deny that Eevee and its evolutions are visually to-the-point, solid and recognizable, and while their designs aren't particularly innovative or daring, they do do a fantastic job of combining undeniable cuteness with being really cool, and that is something a lot of people are bound to appreciate. (Or combining undeniable cuteness with undeniable cuteness, in Sylveon's case.)

I'll admit, sometimes I wish that a bit of all the Eeveelution love was extended to other Pokémon instead--but folks will like what they like!

Finally, just to touch on the subject: while my competitive battling is generally very casual (is that an oxymoron?), I do find Espeon, Umbreon and Vaporeon in particular to all be reliable companions with admirable and individual strengths. I don't think I would describe the Eeveelutions as overrated in that particular sphere in the first place, though.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I wouldn't say so. I think they're all quite useful in battle depending on how they're used. I admit that I don't didn't want any new eeveelutions after Sinnoh and I'm not particularly fond of Sylveon, but I think the others are all really cute. Though personally I wouldn't want any more because now I think it's getting kind of excessive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast