Eating Psychic-type/Intelligent Pokemon?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Psychic-type/Intelligent Pokemon?

Question Eating Psychic-type/Intelligent Pokemon?

If Pokemon are raised and consumed in the same way animals are in real life, then do you think people are eating(or should eat) Psychic-type Pokemon?
    Do you there could possibly be laws against eating certain Pokemon that would be considered "too intelligent to eat" by some societies in real life? For example: Dolphins are not killed or eaten in some places before they're considered "too intelligent for be eaten".

Lets say, Pokemon like Abra,Kadabra, and Alakazam; they are goats, goats are slaughtered for their meat, but Alakazam has an IQ of 5,000 and can outperform a supercomputer. Also Spoink and Grumpig, people collect their pearls as art, but its also a pig with a mind large enough for it to gain psychic power, since a pig is a very common food animal, would it still be eaten regardless? In some societies, eating dogs is frowned upon, one reason being their intelligence, when pigs are eaten all the time in those same societies, when they are much smarter than any dog; almost as smart as dolphins.

This doesn't have to be about Psychic-types only, by the way

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eating Psychic-type/Intelligent Pokemon?

Since these intelligent Pokemon are very intelligent, they are very useful to have around. Eating them would waste those talents and faculties, so it's not wise to consume them when they could contribute to society in more meaningful ways.

The only other types in general that seem intelligent that I know of are Ghosts and Dark-types. Ghosts doesn't seem all that edible anyway due to intangibility, while Dark-types are mostly carnivorous animals. There is the Porygon line too I guess, but that doesn't look edible too.

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Forbidden Forest Ranger Cosmic Gerbil's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Cosmic Gerbil on Facebook
    Visit Cosmic Gerbil's Youtube Channel

I thought that the Abra line were foxes/cats :o

If they are that smart, I wouldn't think any people would be able to eat them. If anybody tried it, they'd probably get their minds fried :P
    Copy and paste this into your signature if your village is being destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    The only other types in general that seem intelligent that I know of are Ghosts and Dark-types. Ghosts doesn't seem all that edible anyway due to intangibility,
    I'd like to see someone try to eat a Ghost-Type, it'd be hilarious, cause they'd keep biting their own teeth, would be hilarious
    I think maybe Mediums and Channelers might be able to eat them, by performing rituals :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    I thought that the Abra line were foxes/cats :o
    They're most likely based on those too, Bulbapedia mentioned they're goats, becuase of thier ties to magic and psychic power :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Gerbil View Post
    If they are that smart, I wouldn't think any people would be able to eat them. If anybody tried it, they'd probably get their minds fried :P
    I didnt really think about how people would kill them to cook them, they'd probably have to bombard them with Ghost-types, or Bugs :D
    Last edited by AntJR; 24th December 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Add Hedface on Facebook
    Visit Hedface's Youtube Channel

The idea of eating intelligent Pokemon is horrific to me. I pretend that everyone in the Poke-universe is a vegetarian, and choose not to eat Pokemon that are plants (i.e. Bellsprout.) I couldn't imagine anyone thinking that taking a huge bite out of filleted Abra would be a good thing.

Jumping on the Fenne-Bandwagon

Blog Entries

Follow Niji on Tumblr

I'm vegan...so my answer would be pretty obvious. It's especially unsettling that people might eat Pokemon with the ability to speak human languages and be on the same level of intelligence, though.

Keep on kicking butt, Yuzu!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedface View Post
    The idea of eating intelligent Pokemon is horrific to me. I pretend that everyone in the Poke-universe is a vegetarian, and choose not to eat Pokemon that are plants (i.e. Bellsprout.)
    I do too sometimes :)
    But there has to be some meat-eaters in that world too, or unless that society is dominantly vegeatrian instead, that would be cool :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lavendrowzazeemontw0 View Post
    I'm vegan...so my answer would be pretty obvious. It's especially unsettling that people might eat Pokemon with the ability to speak human languages and be on the same level of intelligence, though.
    Or even the humanshape ones. like Jynx, that'd be almost like cannabalism. LOL! :)

Something Tells me that eating Pokemon is rather rare. I don't know if anyone remembers the Episode in which Ash first goes to Cerulean City Gym,
    he walks through an aquarium that had many, many types of Fish that Looked very "Non-Pokemon-Like."

But, from what I've seen is that the Society is at least Mostly vegetarian (Berries being what most of their Food is based on)
    Though I reckon that any Meat that is found is probably equal to we would be found eating; Tauros as Cattle, for example.
    Of course, different Regions probably have different acceptable customs in regards to what can and can not be eaten, Much like us too.

I think it's worth noting, that the idea of Eating Magikarp did not seam repugnant to them in one episode, though it was deemed silly or idiotic to Misty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy View Post
    Something Tells me that eating Pokemon is rather rare. I don't know if anyone remembers the Episode in which Ash first goes to Cerulean City Gym,
    he walks through an aquarium that had many, many types of Fish that Looked very "Non-Pokemon-Like."
    There were non-Pokemon fish in Cerulean City's aquarium? Wow, that's pretty interesting, I didn't notice that.

Of course, different Regions probably have different acceptable customs in regards to what can and can not be eaten, Much like us too.

I think it's worth noting, that the idea of Eating Magikarp did not seam repugnant to them in one episode, though it was deemed silly or idiotic to Misty.
    Hmm, ,maybe there's even religious rules on which Pokemon can be eaten too, like some would say they cant eat any Cow species Pokemon, or even, some people cant eat, say, Water-types no matter what species they are. Might not even go by intelligence at all :)

Blog Entries
    Add Hedface on Facebook
    Visit Hedface's Youtube Channel

I've paid close attention to the "Pokemon/Real Animals" mentions in the anime (and I'm only into Season 2, so forgive me if I'm wrong) but I think they do raise normal animals as well as Pokemon. They did mention "Muskrat Meatballs," and the episode I just saw in the Orange Islands, Misty mentioned that the fruit sandwiches ought to have some meat in them. They do seem to avoid mentioning specifics, though.

Jumping on the Fenne-Bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by AntJR View Post
    There were non-Pokemon fish in Cerulean City's aquarium? Wow, that's pretty interesting, I didn't notice that.
    Well, you know, they may of been Pokemon too. They just looked like Simple fish to me.
    Though, if they were Pokemon, they weren't any that had been named since, and that would also mean there were more then 150(151) Pokemon in Kanto at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedface View Post
    I've paid close attention to the "Pokemon/Real Animals" mentions in the anime (and I'm only into Season 2, so forgive me if I'm wrong) but I think they do raise normal animals as well as Pokemon. They did mention "Muskrat Meatballs," and the episode I just saw in the Orange Islands, Misty mentioned that the fruit sandwiches ought to have some meat in them. They do seem to avoid mentioning specifics, though.
    You also have to factor in the English Dub on that too. Just because they reference some in the Dub does not always equal to the original meaning.

Also, worth noting is that, since Pokemon of culturally centered on Japanese Culture by a large margin and the Japanese people are use to a Largely Fish and Vegetables,
    it might account for a largely lack of reference to eating Meat as well as why it would seam so natural for a Largely Vegetarian diet.
    Of course, that was the original intention of course. But Pokemon has since expanded far beyond it's original boundaries, and more and more,
    the culture clash keeps bringing up deeper questions.

Well, you know, they may of been Pokemon too. They just looked like Simple fish to me.
    Though, if they were Pokemon, they weren't any that had been named since, and that would also mean there were more then 150(151) Pokemon in Kanto at that time.
    Probably yeah, since Ho-oh and Togepi appeared in Kanto, before Johto was shown; they could've just imported them from another region of the world :)

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would say this has rarely ever occurred in the Pokemon world if people there are parallels of us. Looking back at our history we can see that the animals we have raised for food are the ones with the greatest product yields, easily manipulable social structures, and minimal required intelligence. If Pokemon were the main source of meat then I would suspect Pokemon that meet theses requirements are the ones eaten. Personally I believe Pokemon are rarely or not even used for food in the current eras of the games, anime, and other media. I think that there are real life animals existing in the Pokemon world alongside people and Pokemon but they're rarely seen, if any at all, because Nintendo's gotta sell'em Pokemons!
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Quote Originally Posted by Cerony View Post
    I would say this has rarely ever occurred in the Pokemon world if people there are parallels of us. Looking back at our history we can see that the animals we have raised for food are the ones with the greatest product yields, easily manipulable social structures, and minimal required intelligence. If Pokemon were the main source of meat then I would suspect Pokemon that meet theses requirements are the ones eaten. Personally I believe Pokemon are rarely or not even used for food in the current eras of the games, anime, and other media. I think that there are real life animals existing in the Pokemon world alongside people and Pokemon but they're rarely seen, if any at all, because Nintendo's gotta sell'em Pokemons!
    You know, I never considered the possibility of real-life animals existing in the Pokemon world, I'm really starting to believe that now

Some cultures would probably eat Xatu, and others would be horrified by it. In the United States, most people are extremely against eating whale meat. But in Iceland (I think...), they just go right on ahead! It's the same idea, I assume.

Although the existence of human-like pokemon such as Alakazam makes things interesting. Imagine if there was a sub-human species that co-existed with us in the real world. It looked like us, but wasn't us. Perhaps the Neanderthals had survived. Would we eat them?

I imagine that in Johto, they eat Xatu because it's just some random bird found in the wild. But in Hoenn, the people were most likely absolutely horrified to discover that people eat Xatu, because they keep the species in a special pokemon sanctuary where most humans can't go (Safari Zone)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast