Eating Pokemon

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Pokemon

Default Eating Pokemon

In trying to translate the real world onto the Pokemon world, I want to know where you think their food comes from.

Logically, it would be the Pokemon equivalent of our real life animals for food. So, milk is now Moo Moo Milk; small birds, such as Pidgey, are the equivalent of chickens (as some chickens are roughly the same size as Pidgeys); aquatic Pokemon are used in seafood dishes, and so on.

Of course, this idea can sicken people, especially those who raise and care for these Pokemon that others consume for food. With the level of kindness a trainer is supposed to have towards Pokemon, how could, in theory, any trainer dig into a Pidgey Pot Pie?

So the alternative would be to be a vegetarian, but at what point would we draw the line of plants? Do we not eat the ones that can move on their own, such as Bulbasaur and Oddish? And what about the Paras line? It is a bug with parasitic mushrooms growing on it; the mushrooms can't move on their own, so is that OK then? They've already been harvested for medicine, back in the first part of the anime.

(I do, however, feel that we've got plenty of other plants hanging around, too. Real-life fruits and vegetables seem to co-exist, in the anime at least, with their berries alternative. So we can still say "Tomato" and they will too.)

In short, what do people and Pokemon in all the mediums eat? The Pokemon equivalent of our diet? Bio-engineered/synthetic meat products? Both? Or none at all?
    Last edited by ghaskan; 7th April 2011 at 03:41 PM.

i remember once seeing fish in cerulean gym
    so real world animals might exist

well, Pokemon food seems to come in cans. so im thinkinig its like dog food, but better (hopefully) its probably made of animals (I think there are animals in the Pokemon world, pokemon are just like super-animals. O_o)

dishonourable gentleman bauhaus's Avatar

In the library in Canalave it says that if you eat a fish pokemon and return the bones to the water the pokemon will come back to life. Maybe that happens with all Pokemon. So really it is humane to kill and eat a Pokemon because it comes back to life...

Quote Originally Posted by shirasakura View Post
    With the level of kindness a trainer is supposed to have towards Pokemon, how could, in theory, any trainer dig into a Pidgey Pot Pie?
    The same way farmers who raise pigs eat pork. Or, on a more general level, the way most people eat meat despite having compassion for animals on some levels. Humans are carnivores, it's the way of life.

Or, if you'd want a Pokemon example, in episode 3 Pidgeotto tried to eat Ash's Caterpie during their battle, yet the two never showed any kind of hostility towards each other in later episodes.
    So.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    The same way farmers who raise pigs eat pork. Or, on a more general level, the way most people eat meat despite having compassion for animals on some levels. Humans are carnivores, it's the way of life.

Or, if you'd want a Pokemon example, in episode 3 Pidgeotto tried to eat Ash's Caterpie during their battle, yet the two never showed any kind of hostility towards each other in later episodes.
    We're omnivores. Also, people should really stop being in denial about people in the pokemon world eating pokemon. Its like being in denial about people in our world eating animals.

Also, who would want to eat a pidgeon?

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lots of people. In some areas, particularly in French cuisine, pigeons are considered gooood eatin'.

Cuddle, the legend didn't say the pokemon would return to life, just that you should return the bones to the water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    Lots of people. In some areas, particularly in French cuisine, pigeons are considered gooood eatin'.
    I guess I shouldn't judge considering the weird bird-related delicacies of filipinos.

Blog Entries

Squirtle Soup... Sharpedo-fin soup. Heck, i'd drink it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    Cuddle, the legend didn't say the pokemon would return to life, just that you should return the bones to the water.
    Nope, it said that if you pick the bones clean, the pokemon would return to life. (But I doubt that, it's only a legend)
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. ~ Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

I'm sure that some Pokémon are specifically raised for human consumption. These Pokémon aren't generally the ones seen as travel companions. Even though some Asian cultures eat dogs, it's not like they're going to eat the family pet.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

I have not actually seen in anime people eating pokemon. I assumed that with the various berries around they would give humans suppliments they needed (some are good fro strength (oran, Sitrus etc..)along with other berries that have differenr properties, So they might work a little different if humans ate them compared to pokemon) along with the rice, bread, apples and other things anime humans have been seen eating.

But with kids watching the anime, I can't see anyone showing them eating pokemon, even though pokemon like real animals, hunt (like gorebyss the cute but deadly see pokemon) we probably won't see it)

Blog Entries

You've seen them eating various meat products at some point. Its not like when we stare at a Hamburger we can tell it is a cow, unless it was previously known to us (hence why I got tricked into eating veggie burgers, though fake meat aste horrible)
    Last edited by The Outrage; 5th September 2008 at 05:04 PM.

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

And most people know that hamburger comes from cows and yet, still eat it. I, for one, see cows every day going to and from work. That still doesn't stop me from enjoying a burger.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    I have not actually seen in anime people eating pokemon.
    It was directly addressed in dialogue a few times though, particularly in the Farfetch'd episode.

It's *also* been addressed that one of Meowth's favorite foods is fried chicken. Which probably means there's a mix of both going around.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast