Earthquake, what's with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthquake, what's with it?

Default Earthquake, what's with it?

Hey, I'm Curryman, I'm new to this website so please tell me if I am doing something wrong. Um, the move Earthquake, what is with it? The games say that it is a Physical move but it can't be, the user isn't actually making physical contact, the ground is hitting them. Also the Speical Ability 'Static' doesn't work on the user, well never when I used it. But it isn't a Special move because Counter works on it. What is with this move?

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Earthquake, what's with it?

1. Static isn't a move.

2. You are physically being hit by the ground.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because some moves that may be phiscal such as earthquake but does not make phiscal contack as it would make no sence as you set off a earthquake witch you make no contack with the other pokemon the earthquake dose

I didn't say Static was a move, I said it was a Special Ability.

Blog Entries

counter doesn't work on abilities though... so I'm confused.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

But Thunderbolt is a move that comes from the user and then it physically hits the opponent. But Thunderbolt is a Special move.

Ok, Counter works on Earthquake. But if you use Earthquake on a pikachu, your Pokemon will not become paralyzed. It has never happened to me before.
    Last edited by $aturn¥oshi; 11th October 2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Please use edit next time. ~$¥

Blog Entries

You're just unlucky then.

I'm not unlucky. I haven't been paralyzed before using Earthquake? That's a good thing. Have you ever been paralyzed by the Special Ability 'Static' whilst using Earthquake?

Blog Entries

Indeed, I have.

Earthquake is physical. It involves the user literally causing the earth to shake and rumble and upheave, causing massive damage to anyone caught in it. That's physical.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

It is impossible to become paralyzed by Static while using Earthquake. Static only affects moves in which the user itself makes contact with the opponent.

Earthquake is a physical move, I imagine, because the pokemon is using it's physical strength to create a shockwave through the earth to strike the opponent. A move like Thunderbolt, on the other hand, is caused by a pokemon charging and then releasing energy from itself -- the energy is not still in physical contact with the user, and the user used "special power" to create it. Thus, it is a special move.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

PDL

While most moves that are physical make contact, it's not the same thing. Being a physical move means that it simply derives it's power from the Pokémon's attack stat. Making contact means that the two Pokémon actually touch each other, which can activate certain abilities like Static or Flame Body.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

I could have sworn I got paralyzed several times using earthquake against static...

But see, that's just where the line is. The power from the Pokemon creates the Earthquake but no part of the Pokemon using Earthquake actually touches the opponent Pokemon. A Physical move is the contact between each Pokemon. Special is any move that hits the opponent but with no body contact. I swear, this move is the only one I've seen that doesn't fit in properly.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman View Post
    But see, that's just where the line is. The power from the Pokemon creates the Earthquake but no part of the Pokemon using Earthquake actually touches the opponent Pokemon. A Physical move is the contact between each Pokemon. Special is any move that hits the opponent but with no body contact. I swear, this move is the only one I've seen that doesn't fit in properly.
    No, you're mistaken. Not all physical moves involve the pokemon itself making contact with the opponent. Physical moves involve the pokemon using it's own strength -- aka it's Attack stat. Special moves involve the pokemon using some form of energy to deal damage to the opponent -- aka it's Special Attack stat.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

I'm gonna trust Feliciano then. She's most likely right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast