Dragons that are not dragons? - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dragons that are not dragons?

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Dragons that are not dragons?

Water/Dragon would definitely suit Gyarados. Along with everything else that's been said, STAB Outrage on this thing would kill.

And just because it has "dragon" somewhere (dragonfly, for instance) doesn't mean it should be Dragon-type. Yanmega doesn't look the least bit like a dragon, and the only Dragon-type move it can learn is Twister.

There's also Ampharos, or "Denryuu" in Japanese. Why would you think that should be a dragon? The "ryuu" alone? The name itself is most likely from 電流 denryuu (electric current). It can also learn Outrage by tutors, but so can, like, a million other non-draconic Pokemon: Abomasnow, Aggron, Venusaur, Primeape, and many, many more.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Fruit of Prosperity Pomegranate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Fish View Post
    There's also Ampharos, or "Denryuu" in Japanese. Why would you think that should be a dragon? The "ryuu" alone? The name itself is most likely from 電流 denryuu (electric current).
    I find this an unfair analogy. Obviously the 'ryuu' in that name doesn't refer to dragons, while the 'dragon' in dragonfly can't really refer to anything else. The equivalent of that would probably be pulling out the word 'laughter' from 'slaughter' and saying it's relevant, not a portmanteau like dragonfly. Do you also claim that bathtubs have nothing to do with baths or tubs just because it's combined into one word?
    "Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the pomegranates are in bloom - there I will give you my love."

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Torterrius View Post
    Tradition or no tradition isn't the point. Back in R/B/Y, there was no such thing as tradition. It began there. You could argue that we should be retconning one Pokemon every Gen with a single-type that deserves another type as was done with Magnemite and Magneton, if you follow that logic.
    Hold on, I just thought of something else. It'll only be possible for a Pokemon to change a type on the next gen game after its debut appearance. Magnemite gained a steel typing in G/S/C after R/B/Y and Rotom's forms gained their respective typings to ditch Ghost in BW after Pt/HG/SS. That means Gyarados still lost his chance on gaining a dragon type back in Gen II.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Tradition or no tradition isn't the point. Back in R/B/Y, there was no such thing as tradition. It began there. You could argue that we should be retconning one Pokemon every Gen with a single-type that deserves another type as was done with Magnemite and Magneton, if you follow that logic.
    Hold on, I just thought of something else. It'll only be possible for a Pokemon to change a type on the next gen game after its debut appearance. Magnemite gained a steel typing in G/S/C after R/B/Y and Rotom's forms gained their respective typings to ditch Ghost in BW after Pt/HG/SS. That means Gyarados still lost his chance on gaining a dragon type back in Gen II.
    I don't think Gyarados ever should've beenFlying tying it took him 4 Gens to get a single Flying attack ... he should've either been pure Water like Milotic or Water/Dragon we know it won't change ut Water/Flying makes no sense...

Oh another Pokemon who should be Dragon typed is Milotic she and Gyarados are already in the Dragon Egg group
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    I don't think Gyarados ever should've beenFlying tying it took him 4 Gens to get a single Flying attack ... he should've either been pure Water like Milotic or Water/Dragon we know it won't change ut Water/Flying makes no sense...

Oh another Pokemon who should be Dragon typed is Milotic she and Gyarados are already in the Dragon Egg group
    Dragon types are suppose to be rare and hard to find, not common and easy to get, so you can't randomly give other Pokemon dragon typings.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
    I find this an unfair analogy. Obviously the 'ryuu' in that name doesn't refer to dragons, while the 'dragon' in dragonfly can't really refer to anything else. The equivalent of that would probably be pulling out the word 'laughter' from 'slaughter' and saying it's relevant, not a portmanteau like dragonfly. Do you also claim that bathtubs have nothing to do with baths or tubs just because it's combined into one word?
    Unfair though it may be, I've seen someone bring up the analogy before, which is why I brought it up in the first place.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Dragon types are suppose to be rare and hard to find, not common and easy to get, so you can't randomly give other Pokemon dragon typings.
    The ony really rare Dragon is Dratini and Deino... The others are pretty easy to get. You can get a Gible and Axew rather early in Sinnoh and Unova...Swablu is verycommon in the route leading up to Meteor Falls and once you get Waterfall Bagan is easy to get you're getting really desperate....

Everything about Gyara and Milo scream Dragon... they are certenly more draconic then Alteria they learn many Dragon moves are in the Dragon egg group (which odly enough Flygon isn't) look like dragons and both are based on sea-serpents basicly water dragons

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

The ony really rare Dragon is Dratini and Deino... The others are pretty easy to get. You can get a Gible rather early in Sinnoh...Swablu is verycommon in the route leading up to Meteor Falls and once you get Waterfall Bagan is easy to get you're getting really desperate....
    That's not what I meant. I mean they're rare in terms of how many there are in each gen/region.

Blog Entries

The ony really rare Dragon is Dratini and Deino... The others are pretty easy to get. You can get a Gible rather early in Sinnoh...Swablu is verycommon in the route leading up to Meteor Falls and once you get Waterfall Bagan is easy to get you're getting really desperate....
    That's not what I meant. I mean they're rare in terms of how many there are in each gen/region.
    So there'd be 2 more Dragons... big whoop... you can'y say Water/Flying makes more sense then Water/Dragon? hell gyarados is based on a legend about a carp swimming up a waterfall and becoming a dragon

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

So there'd be 2 more Dragons... big whoop... you can'y say Water/Flying makes more sense then Water/Dragon?
    It isn't a big whoop in terms of rarity in numbers. Point is, Gyarados had his chance to gain a dragon typing a Gen 2 just like how Magnemite gained a steel typing, but he didn't, so he's stuck being water/flying and a retconn for the tradition of having a Pokemon with that dual type for each gen.

Blog Entries

So there'd be 2 more Dragons... big whoop... you can'y say Water/Flying makes more sense then Water/Dragon?
    It isn't a big whoop in terms of rarity in numbers. Point is, Gyarados had his chance to gain a dragon typing a Gen 2 just like how Magnemite gained a steel typing, but he didn't, so he's stuck being water/flying and a retconn for the tradition of having a Pokemon with that dual type for each gen.
    DRAGON TYPES WOULD STILL BE RARE EVEN IF THOSE TWO WERE DRAGON TYPES!!!! and I know the type will never changed this is basicly about pokemon who should be dragon

El_
    Blog Entries

I dunno about Charizard to be honest. Hes a starter type, and the only ability that would work would be levitate. Though, due to pure nostalgia I would love it if he were a dragon type lol As he obviously is a dragon, but overall its not a big deal.

Now Gyarados, I agree with others that he should be Dragon/Water. Hes based on the legend of a carp transforming into a dragon. The only reason that he isn't one is because it was probably viewed at the time to be overpower'd. Theres also the issue of how easy it is to obtain Magicarp, and later on Gyarados. Still, I don't know for the life of me why they didn't just make Gyarados a pure water type if they feared him being too overpower'd. That would had been enough imo because Flying/Water is too much of a weakness.

Though the flying typing does allow him some cool switch ins on earthquake. (He is also still epically OU even as Water/Flying)

How do people feel about his Hoenn counterpart Milotic? Milotic seems kinda dragon like to me in the same way that Dragonair is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    I dunno about Charizard to be honest. Hes a starter type, and the only ability that would work would be levitate. Though, due to pure nostalgia I would love it if he were a dragon type lol As he obviously is a dragon, but overall its not a big deal.

Now Gyarados, I agree with others that he should be Dragon/Water. Hes based on the legend of a carp transforming into a dragon. The only reason that he isn't one is because it was probably viewed at the time to be overpower'd. Theres also the issue of how easy it is to obtain Magicarp, and later on Gyarados. Still, I don't know for the life of me why they didn't just make Gyarados a pure water type if they feared him being too overpower'd. That would had been enough imo because Flying/Water is too much of a weakness.

Though the flying typing does allow him some cool switch ins on earthquake. (He is also still epically OU even as Water/Flying)

How do people feel about his Hoenn counterpart Milotic? Milotic seems kinda dragon like to me in the same way that Dragonair is.
    Milotic should fefinitly be Water/Dragon as well shers proribly the best bulky Water type there and her Def stats afre great she'd be a pain to kill if she was part Dragon =) Yeah Gyara and Milo should be Dragons no reason they aren't... and the popel who say he would've been overpwoered in I... Gen I had no balence... Psychics were way overpowered

Blog Entries

Serperior?

Grass/Dragon would've been cool. But since he's a starter Pokemon, I guess that would be a no-no.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

El_
    Blog Entries

Serperior would still have an 4x Ice weakness that Samurott could exploit, and Fighting moves and Fire moves from Emboar would still hit him neutrally. So there would be no problem about balance. 75/75 offenses means hes pretty much in check when you consider in-game or storymode play.

Problem is though Serperior is truly a serpent or a Snake. While Dragon would greatly help his coverage, I guess if they tried to pass him off as a Basilisk they could get away with it.

@Articwolf10

Yeah, I figured that Milotic could be passed as a Dragon. Since it is the counterpart to Gyarados, its only fair that they both be considered. They seem more dragonlike than Altaria anyways.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast