Does love actually play a factor? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Does love make for a better team?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - people who love their pokémon win more often.

58 61.05%
  • No - it's all just numbers.

37 38.95%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does love actually play a factor?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Does love actually play a factor?

Well, logically speaking, things such as your external feelings cannot affect a game - a machine incapable of thought. In the anime, it may be different. However, the sad reality is, the Pokémon we use, are just collections of data with pretty pictures.

However, if you grow attached to a certain Pokémon, you will know it more, and where it's flaws are, rather than someone who just copy and pasted Smogon's movesets. This is also where originality kicks in. Everyone thought Tangrowth was rubbish, but I had crowds watching my Round 3 match at VGC2009!

I do have my competitive teams, however, I also have the teams using Pokémon I love. I still hold a lot of respect for the Blaziken I used on Ruby, the Torterra I used on my Japanese Pearl, and the Staraptor I used in said Pearl. It's a nostalgia thing, we've been through a lot. Staraptor has defeated EV trained Pokémon with no problem - because I know his strengths and weaknesses through experience.

Same with DORES my Emboar; he was my starter in White, and I know a lot about the species now. Although base stats put ATK and Sp.Atk close together, the ATK stat sky rockets, and it takes a lot of damage from the recoil.
    HANA, my Doreida, is strong on her own, but I know that she needs a little push; which is why when I battled Cynthia, I sent her out first, as I knew Spiritomb would spam Double Team, and I spammed Butterfly Dance - and she managed to take down 4 of her Pokémon before going down.

In HeartGold, I was determined that my in-game team was going to take down Red. I noticed my Slowking would end up duking it out with Red's Blastoise, and Blastoise would win due to speed. I taught Slowking Trick Room, and he won. For some reason, I really felt that Slowking wanted to defeat Blastoise, which is really bizarre, as they are just bits of data, and I wanted Slowking to win - I'd had it since it was a Slowpoke in Azalea Town, I wanted to give it it's honour.

Another case of me wanting to defend my Pokémon's honour was WILFRED my Mamoswine that I used in VGC10. My older brother kept on insulting it, saying how it never seems to win. I used it against him, and Mamoswine swept his whole team - landing a critical hit on the Lugia he wouldn't stop bragging about.

Today, in White, I challenged the Battle Subway singles, I used the previously mentioned DORES, YIPS my Waruvial, and CLAMP by Sazandra. I defeated the Brain without having to use Sazandra, who is a beast of a Pokémon anyway.

It's really difficult to say in words, but you really bond with your Pokémon. However, I don't think it's the bond itself that gives them strength, it's the experience you gain through using them and developing the bond. Remember, you can learn a lot about Pokémon from Smogon's pages and Skarmbliss' pages, but you can't learn how to play Pokémon without experience.

Blog Entries

As much I want to say loving your Pokemon is important, it's all just numbers. Cold hard numerical calculations with some random number generation thrown in.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacit Giga View Post
    I can respect those who build teams based on stats, natures, EV's, what have you; but for me the real fun is playing about with my favourites.
    Thing is, those concepts aren't mutually exclusive. I've always played Pokémon with my favorites in mind, but I still care to make them as efficient as possible without going into intricate strategies. Only what I feel works. I even think that making such efforts shows deeper care for them.

When 3rd Gen added Natures, I managed to see Pokémon more as characters with their own personality, beyond their effect in Stats, though I still aimed to get ideal Natures to help their better Stats. Still, regardless of breeding until I got the best Nature/Ability and EV Training them, I grow very attached to all of them I end up training, as much as I grow attached to my main quest partners, if not more. The way the game is set up, it's difficult to have an actual story-like quest, as there's so many Pokémon you'd rather have outside the choices the game gives you as you progress.

The new characteristic line added in 4th Generation (Which points at the highest IV) added even more personality to the otherwise insipid mechanics. I loved my Emerald Team so much, that I re-bred them from scratch in Diamond, aiming for new Moves and better IVs, but keeping their Abilities, Natures and Characteristics intact from their 3rd Gen analogous I had transferred. I think that speaks how attached I was to them.

I'd say love plays a part, in that you're actually interested in those Pokémon and want them to do their best, so you invest even more time perfecting them. So yeah, it's not mutually exclusive to train them "properly" and loving them. I know I do both, so...
    lol I got bored.

There are competitive punks who think that it is all just numbers, and they may be right. The more I see of how Smogon talks in the forums, the more I want to back out of competitive play. D8 It takes the fun all out of Pokemon.

I, too, follow Karenism. It's more obvious with my Platinum team, which has a Chatot, Pachirisu, and Gastrodon in it. My FireRed team had Raticate own my rival's ass.

The true core and heart of enjoying a game is really bonding, heart and soul, with the characters, story, and everything involved. Players with a true empathetic heart enjoy the games best because they know what is most important.

In the end, skill won't mean a thing. It is your own "aura" that decides how a match will turn out. If you remain confident (but not enough to get overinflated!), and keep a positive attitude going, you will see that most of the time, luck will favor you. People often forget how important luck is, and it is your love and happiness that can often sweep luck to your favor.

Hehe...this whole thread is so sentimental. But I'm glad to see the majority of responses here are "heart and soul", rather than "it's just numbers"!
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Um, why are so many people voting in the affirmative? The game doesn't care how you feel; it's a machine and numbers are the only thing that matters. Some, like Ryu Shoji, take a more logical route by saying that if you don't love Pokémon in general then you have no motivation to try hard at the game. However, even this is false. You could just be playing to make money at those Nintendo tournaments, and as long as you play smart and use good Pokémon with good team synergy, you can win. Sure, liking the game is likely to be a more motivating factor than money for probably almost everyone who plays, but it's still not necessary.

Karen is wrong. There's a tier list for a reason. Do you really believe that an Unknown can be as strong as an Arceus? Simply put, some Pokémon are stronger than others, and to propose that all Pokémon are equal is just ignorant. As for the second part of her quote, while skilled trainers can try to win with the Pokémon they love, equally skilled trainers who use Pokémon based on their strength will see better results (assuming Pokémon you love and strong Pokémon are mutually exclusive for you). And just because you use weak Pokémon because you love them does not make you "truly skilled", it makes you inefficient. Admirable maybe, but inefficient nonetheless.

Note that there isn't anything wrong with loving your bits of data. I love my cute lil' Heatran. However, it just doesn't effect the game mechanics in anyway. It doesn't make your Pokémon stronger, nor does it make you luckier. It may give you good motivation to do well, but it's not required (and I don't think that's what the OP really meant by his question anyway).

I love my Pokemon but even if they are strong or not I can still win with them. Even if I lose, I still love em and it makes try again until I win. Also, I don't think numbers are the only reason for power, moves and strategies are too. But over all, if you love your Pokemon I find that you tend to put more effort in to raising it.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It doesn't play a factor directly, no.

But indirectly, those who care more about their Pokémon are more likely to treat them better and care more about their progress, thus resulting in them taking those cold, hard numbers into better consideration. (They're also less likely to take on the Nuzlocke challenge.)

Otherwise, if it were just all about the numbers, we could just hack a team together and be done with it. No need for all that training and bringing up of Pokémon.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

I'm going with no because it is a game.
    but i think that there is a sense of care and pride when crafting your own team. so it could be a little of both

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I find it sad when people think of there pokemon as just numbers and pixles.

I will addmit i do breed to get certan natures into my pokemon but after using them for a long time and see them win and seeing them lose you grow a bond with them.
    There are some pokemon that i have bonded with for a long time such as my armaldo who is my frist lvl100 i have or my dracoqueen(dragonite) who iv had in my heart gold sence the begging but she is one of the few who i let have a rondom nature and iv used her in alot of battles and seen that she can still kick ass.All my pokemon have a story that is not just mindlessly ev training it and teaching it moves that some one eles thinks it should know.

In the end if you just see pokemon as numbers you may have a all powerfull team but you wont have the all powerfull memorys to go with and make that team truely specail.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    It doesn't play a factor directly, no.

But indirectly, those who care more about their Pokémon are more likely to treat them better and care more about their progress, thus resulting in them taking those cold, hard numbers into better consideration. (They're also less likely to take on the Nuzlocke challenge.)
    But see, this is incorrect. While caring about your Pokémon may make you more likely to care about the Pokémon's progress, it doesn't influence your ability to be able to consider the numbers. All you need is determination to learn the game and be the best. Maybe all you want is money from a tournament, and as long as you put in effort to achieve that goal, you can do just as well as someone who legitimately loves Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekurom View Post
    Otherwise, if it were just all about the numbers, we could just hack a team together and be done with it. No need for all that training and bringing up of Pokémon.
    This is exactly what many competitive Wifi players do. They use a hacking device called Pokésav to create perfect Pokémon for their team without any raising required. I personally don't use it, but many do.

If it were Pokémon like in the anime, then yes.

The games are just zeros and ones. Love plays no factor.

Which is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    I have a Houndoom named Victor and an Espeon named Chloe. They are mates.

I have a Scizor named Jason and a Flygon named Kimber. They are mates.

I have a Lucario named Corin and a Kirikizan named Allison. They are mates.

I love my pokemon, my favorite pokemon (okay, my main six) so much, that I find life mates for them to love.

And do I win? Well... Yes. And no. I'm not competitive so I jsut battle for fun.
    I did the same with my Blaziken glad to know I'm not alone

As for the question I don't think so but I don't care because I grow attached to those sprites and I just battle for fun not competitively.

Blog Entries

I play with my favorites and the ones I like. I love them and nickname them all the time. Somehow, the team always seems to work well at the end. I think that even if they are numbers, why shouldn't you get attached to them?
    Croconaw is officially claimed!

Quote Originally Posted by Time
    Did Ghastly come from a fart, or something? And why is it poisonous?

Non-perverted Lopunny fan Ground Control's Avatar

I EV train my Pokemon and give them the right natures because I love them. I want them to do the best they possibly can and I treat them like my children. Striving for almost perfect Pokemon is natural to me, and it still makes me a loving father to them. I only use which Pokemon feel natural to me. If it's an OU Pokemon, coincidence. If it's a NU? Cool.

Registered User Singing in the Rain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You guys need to see how well my so-called "Never Used" Pokemon battle when I add love to my strategy. My Politoed is one of my most prized sweepers, despite it's moves being BubbleBeam, Perish Song, Hypnosis, and DoubleSlap. I was battling on PBR, and it destroyed the opposing team with flying colors.

And one time, back in FRLG, my Ch'ding (Farfech'd) took on my friend's Salamence. The Uber Pokemon used Fire Blast and knocked Ch'ding into the red. I used Slash, and it only took away a third. But I belived in my Pokemon, and the Salamence missed the next attack. Then she used Slash again. Took away another third. I could see the desperation on my friend's face. He used Toxic. I use Slash again, and he barley survives it. The Poison leaves my poor wild duck with two HP. But I could feel my trust and friendship with my Pokemon. I was able to see that my friend was determined to take down my duck while he had an Uber Dragonon his team. As such, he used Iron Tail. But it missed! Ch'ding destroyed the Mence with a Cut the next turn, downing his best pokemon.

In short, I also follow Karenism. But I'm not saying that competitive battling is wrong. If you can see your team as more than cold hard numbers and truly, from the bottom of your heart, believe in them, you can draw the full potential out of your Pokemon. And even if you guys still don't see it, then I beg you, to fully enjoy the game, please don't just see them as cold hard calculations!

I EV train my Pokemon and give them the right natures because I love them. I want them to do the best they possibly can and I treat them like my children. Striving for almost perfect Pokemon is natural to me, and it still makes me a loving father to them. I only use which Pokemon feel natural to me. If it's an OU Pokemon, coincidence. If it's a NU? Cool.
    Yeah, this is a trainer who truly knows how to harness the power of their Pokemon. Again, as much as I hate it, I'm not trying to break you guys from competitive battling.
    Last edited by Singing in the Rain; 24th October 2010 at 10:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouthful of Pi
    I don't really belive there's such a thing as sexuality, only love, which means that everyone should be able to marry everyone else!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast