Do you think pokemon is influenced by other franchises?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you think pokemon is influenced by other franchises?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Do you think pokemon is influenced by other franchises?

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if Pokemon is influenced by other anime/manga/game ... stuff like that.

For example, Crocodile from One-piece existed before Gen5 came out - and anyone who's seen him would know he can control sand, which we could also take as "ground". He's also one of the bad guys, which is pretty "dark".

And then there's the Sandile family in Gen5. Ground/Dark.

...Coincidence?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think pokemon is influenced by other franchises?

Most of the elements from the Pokemon franchise were inspired by the Mother series, but there are few from other franchises:

- Excadrill (Gurren Lagann)
    - Lyra (Mario)
    - Ghetsis (Zero Wing, a.k.a. All Your Base)
    - Infernape (DBZ)
    - Lucario (Street Fighter)
    - Tyranitar (Godzilla)

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Yes.

We can play as a princess now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Most of the elements from the Pokemon franchise were inspired by the Mother series, but there are few from other franchises:

- Excadrill (Gurren Lagann)
    - Lyra (Mario)
    - Ghetsis (Zero Wing, a.k.a. All Your Base)
    - Infernape (DBZ)
    - Lucario (Street Fighter)
    - Tyranitar (Godzilla)
    You do realize that DragonBall was based on the Chinese tale Journey to the West right, and that Infernape (and Emboar) were influenced by that? I wouldn't say that it was influenced by another franchise.

Anyway, I can definitely say that some parts of the games are influenced by Pulseman. S.S. Anne, Volt Tackle/Volteccer, Team Galactic, Rotom, so on...
    The Outrage likes this.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nah, Emboar is based off the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, another Chinese epic, according to GameFreak interviews. I don't know if it's any one character who he draws from though.

Shinx is Kimba the White Lion, Munchlax and Snorlax are Totoro, Purloin and Liepard are Doronjo from Yatterman, and Salamence is Devil Man (same color scheme and wings). There are probably other lesser manga and anime references too...I've always suspected Machamp was inspired by Kinnikuman due to his big lips and horns, and then there's all the Kaiju Pokemon like Nidoking (Baragon), Tyranitar (Godzilla), Volcarona (Mothra), and even Garchomp resembles this Gamera villain I remember seeing.

Lucario (Street Fighter)
    I'm not sure, "Hadou" is a pretty big element in a lot of anime, so I don't think it's Street Fighter in general. But I do think that was one of the main inspirations in creating Lucario, and the "Hadou" subset of moves, since it's well known.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro ~ Bajeena View Post
    Nah, Emboar is based off the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, another Chinese epic, according to GameFreak interviews. I don't know if it's any one character who he draws from though.

Lucario (Street Fighter)
    I'm not sure, "Hadou" is a pretty big element in a lot of anime, so I don't think it's Street Fighter in general. But I do think that was one of the main inspirations in creating Lucario, and the "Hadou" subset of moves, since it's well known.
    Wut, Emboar and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms?? Just WHO is he supposed to represent?

Lucario's Aura Sphere - I always thought it was another version of Enerugi Beam or something from Dragon Ball

Godzilla is a definite influence, as seen in the early concept art (there's even a Pokémon named "Godzillante"). Also in that picture is a giant gorilla named "Gorillaimo"... possibly a reference to Donkey Kong but I'm thinking it is a reference to King Kong.
    But those never made it into the actual game... however, Godzilla references are common as seen in Quattro ~ Bajeena's post.

The concept itself (catching Pokémon) was based on insect collecting (Tajiri collected insects as a kid). I've also heard (although I haven't seen an official source backing this up) that the battling aspect was based on insect fighting.

Generation I was based on "science", with several Pokémon resembling dinosaurs, experiments, or genetic stuff.

Gligarman was an obvious reference to Batman, with his dub name being a reference to Peter Parker (SpiderMan).

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wut, Emboar and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms?? Just WHO is he supposed to represent?
    Dunno.

The closest character, and I've never read it, this is just browsing through the Wiki Page, is Guan Yu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, known for his red face and magnificent beard.

Speaking of Chinese Epics, Spiritomb draws inspiration from the Water Margin, which was the basis of the series Suikoden, as the beginning of the novel involves 108 spirits being released from a stone prison.

I've seen a monster in Zelda which looks very much like Sounansu with a long body and strange feet, and if you hit it, it deals you back damage. I don't know if the idea is originally from Zelda or if it comes from somewhere else.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, for their design is quite simple, and I first noticed the similarities because you'd get hurt if you hit them.

The Pokemon Buizel reminds me of Tails in Sonic, the Hedgehog, because of its two tails.

I also saw that the second Pokemon movie had scenes similar to Ocarina of Time scenes, like playing an ocarina before an altar with three elemental stones.

Playing RSE, there were also similarities to SaGa, where you collect two orbs, one red and one blue, to fight a monster in the sky and one below the sea.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Speaking of Chinese Epics, Spiritomb draws inspiration from the Water Margin, which was the basis of the series Suikoden, as the beginning of the novel involves 108 spirits being released from a stone prison.
    I think 108 is a common theme in Buddhism, so it could just be coincedence that both involve 108 spirits and a stone.

Blog Entries

Purloin and Liepard are Doronjo from Yatterman
    Okay, now that is an interesting one, especially since I was just about to post something here about Team Dorombo. I wouldn't say that Purlion and Liepard are based on her though, as the mask she wears is kind of a common thing.

Anyway...

I personally believe that the anime's Team Rocket was influenced by Team Gaikottsu (Yatterman is a spin-off series of Time Bokan. Team Dorombo were based on a nearly identical team in it called Team Gaikottsu, so they were technically the first). The fact that Team Rocket is always getting involved with the twerps, use mecha in many of their schemes, and often get a crushing or explosive defeat at the end of most episodes all pretty much allude to Team Gaikottsu in nearly every way.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Hydreigon has clear roots in the old KG.

CottonSheepFairy 33Whimsicott33's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bisharp and the sentai.
    Emboar may also come from zhu ba jie, from the Journey West. The devs did mention a Chinese influence on the Tepig line.
    Oh?

Blog Entries

My friend showed a drawing of a snake/serpent to someone from Nintendo, the sake looked like serperior (this was before gen 5) and he said, we could make a Pokemon out of it.

is back for 2014 S.S. Shadow Minun's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow S.S. Shadow Minun On Twitter Add S.S. Shadow Minun on Facebook
    Visit S.S. Shadow Minun's Youtube Channel

Some parts of Pokémon media were influenced by other franchises, for example, Charon's English name is a corruption of Carton's name in Quinty but he looks more like Doc Waruyama from Pulseman game. Quinty (aka Mendel Palace) and Pulseman were also designed by Pokémon's creator, Satoshi Tajiri.
    Last edited by S.S. Shadow Minun; 11th May 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast