Do you think the Pokémon franchise has become unpredictable? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you think the Pokémon franchise has become unpredictable?

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you think the Pokémon franchise has become unpredictable?

Well I personally think GameFreak are trying to change their stripes a little by making new ways to introduce their new games, anime, etc. I think it's just a way to keep the franchise fresh and welcoming to newcomers.

I don't mind these slight changes they have made, but it's best that they don't go too far with the changes and still keep the original concept of Pokemon going strong.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Unpredictable-ness is a great thing, means we always get nice surprises. I think yes, GameFreak are changing things up a lot within recent years, some for better, some for worse- but I honestly like it. If everything GameFreak produced could be "predicted", the Pokémon games would incredibly quickly become stale and boring :U Even between Gen 1, 2, and 3, there's a lot of random changes that break some "pattens".

I honestly hope GameFreak stop sticking to pattens at some point \ o/

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, as someone who thought Gen 4 was a bit on the unoriginal side (nothing really stood out for me at all, it really just felt the same as Gen 3), I absolutely adore GF being unpredictable. Like, how through all of the confusion of BW2's radical changes, we all seemingly forgot to even consider Keldeo might have a second forme.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Yes and no. As others have said, Gen V has broken many of the patterns of the series, but at the same time, a lot of things have remained the same, things that would ruin the game for me if changed. (A complete overhaul of the battle system? No thanks) The balance between exciting unpredictability and comforting familiarly is almost perfect at the moment - long may it continue.

Who is this git?

certified badass

I think that pokemon has gotten unpredictable because people had recently been accusing it of pretty much being the same and even though I did'nt like black and white Ai liked that they mixed it up a little.

Well, the sequels were definitely a surprise, and the change in the typical cast for the Anime is different, but otherwise everything is pretty much the same. It's like instead of getting just one Gray version, we got two separate gray versions that expand on the story instead of being the Director's Cut of the main game that I never have any have any money for because I'm suckered into buying one of the primary two versions.

The only thing -really- unpredictable about the games is what features get to stay and what features get the boot. Every time they try to add a new gameplay mechanic to make it more innovative and different from the previous generations, they tend to remove it and replace it with something else with mixed results. I sort of hate that now that the Beauty ranking system is gone, I can't evolve my Feebas in Black, and since I'm stuck on the original DS model, I can't connect to any non-WEP Wifi connections (for some reason, to include unsecured networks) to trade with a Prism Scale. (And none of my real life friends are into Pokémon, so that rules out infrared trading) On the other hand, I'm glad that contests are gone. They sort of came across as silly to me, and I hated that it seemed like at least half of the Hoenn and Sinnoh chapters of the Anime revolved around contests. Of course, the Pokémon Musical isn't much better. I'm sincerely hoping that one day they'll come up with an alternative to battling that is... well, a bit more interesting.

The Pokeathlon(an alternative to battling) was extremely unexpected and fun. Too bad it didn't carry on to Gen V...

Oh this isn't a random thought, this is a response to the above post.
    Madly in love with Articuno and Vaporeon!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate21212 View Post
    The Pokeathlon(an alternative to battling) was extremely unexpected and fun. Too bad it didn't carry on to Gen V...

Oh this isn't a random thought, this is a response to the above post.
    It's too bad that I haven't played any Generation IV game as of yet as I haven't been able to find a copy on sale for fairly cheap. Bulbapedia's article on the Pokéathalon does me really want to try it. It looks a lot more fun than contests.

Marukaite Chikyuu~ ShinySceptile1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Isn't unpredictable why we still like it?
    Proud Claimer of Natalya Arlovskaya, Tino Väinämöinen, and Lukas Bondevik from Hetalia~! (= ヮ=)೨

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySceptile1 View Post
    Isn't unpredictable why we still like it?
    Probably the best explanation ever XDD. If it were predictable, we'd hated the franchise a long time ago

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Not really, people just put too much stock in "patterns" extrapolated from only a few data points.

Registered User Mamasoftshellturtle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Mamasoftshellturtle on Facebook
    Visit Mamasoftshellturtle's Youtube Channel

They're not radically changing things; it's not like Gamefreak is replacing the main objective of battling into something entirely unrelated. I think it's more like the technology that's changing.
    Amyda Nakornsrithammarajensis

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Not really, people just put too much stock in "patterns" extrapolated from only a few data points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasoftshellturtle View Post
    They're not radically changing things; it's not like Gamefreak is replacing the main objective of battling into something entirely unrelated. I think it's more like the technology that's changing.
    This. GTS features didn't exist up till Gen 3. New methods of evolving keep appearing. Certain items have new functions. The usage of the touch screen, C-gear....we never expected those until Gen 4

Registered User Mamasoftshellturtle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Mamasoftshellturtle on Facebook
    Visit Mamasoftshellturtle's Youtube Channel

Additionally, technology changes like a parabolic curve, so admittedly as much as I don't want things to change so fast, there will be more changes in an even shorter period of time.
    Amyda Nakornsrithammarajensis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12