Do you still get judged for playing Pokemon? - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Do you still get judged for playing Pokemon?

Default Re: Do you still get judged for playing Pokemon?

Half of my class is into Pokémon, 20% has pre-ordered the European BW2, and the other half of the class likes to watch people playing Pokémon. No probs here at all!
    My YouTube Vids (Pokémon White 2, Randomized Emerald and soon Platinum)

-Why don't use Pokémon who you like instead of powerful ones? You'll have fun in every battle and winning gives more satisfaction!

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Not really, but I don't let a lot of people know about that I like Pokemon. Even though I've been told that it's cool to like Pokemon again in public since it's kind of retro, I don't really feel comfortable with letting people know some of my hobbies. I was judged and made fun of for liking Pokemon a lot in the sixth grade, which was ironic considering the year before practically everyone was into it, and even before I got into Pokemon, whatever I liked usually was one of the main things kids teased me about and since I was, and am, pretty sensitive, that made the idea of telling people in person about what I like really difficult. It's not a problem online since the social interaction isn't direct, so it's less stressful for me. The only times I have told other people are in situations where I knew it was safe, like before my middle school and high school graduations since I wouldn't see them for at least a few years, if at all and they were talking about Pokemon anyway, but since I'm not good at jumping into conversations and knowing when it's safe to talk about it, I just keep it to myself. That might sound overly cautious when the times I've mentioned it to others didn't lead to much judgment, if any, but I'd prefer to be overly cautious than risk being made fun of again, even though it is completely ridiculous for people to make fun of me for enjoying Pokemon or any of my hobbies.

The only people who know about it are my parents, my older brother, a friend of mine and her family. My parents have been fine with it from the start and don't have a problem that I'm still playing and watching Pokemon in my twenties. I think my older brother doesn't mind it, although he did think I was getting too old for it by the time I turned thirteen and he probably wonders how I can still watch the anime at this point, but he hasn't said anything about it to me in years, so I'm going to go with that he's either fine with it or he just doesn't care. My friend is obviously fine with it since we're both into Pokemon and other anime series.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Not at all, pretty much my whole year level are still playing the games since we got all into the series during Gen II-III. However, we've all moved on from the show a LONG time ago.

Blog Entries

Hm... no.

No one never judged me for liking Pokémon, to be honest.

Blog Entries

Yeah. Pretty harshly, TBH. High School judges the crap out of everybody.

I always try not to be too obvious a Pokéfan, but as with every hobby, it tends to show at some point. So, yeah, classmates found out, and apparently I'm a childish retard. When they're bored they like to sarcastically scream "Pogeymahn!" and "Gotta catch 'em all!" randomly and insult the franchise. Within my earshot. Purposely.

Oh, well. At least they get entertained. GERTERH KERCH ERM ERR!

Parents did too initially, but then I managed to convince them that this is not a game wherein you randomize all your shit and get 9001!!111oneone!!eleven!! pointz.

But whatever. I have gotten better at the fine art of Not Giving A Damn. If I'm having legit fun, not doing drugs or killing people or whatever, they don't have a right to interfere, do they?

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Well, I've never let anyone know. Not that it would make any difference really since like Dragonfyre, I have been honing my high level skills of Not Giving A Damn. If I were to see a classmate playing a Pokemon game though, that's when I would open up to them.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Tumblr Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfyre View Post
    Yeah. Pretty harshly, TBH. High School judges the crap out of everybody.

I always try not to be too obvious a Pokéfan, but as with every hobby, it tends to show at some point. So, yeah, classmates found out, and apparently I'm a childish retard. When they're bored they like to sarcastically scream "Pogeymahn!" and "Gotta catch 'em all!" randomly and insult the franchise. Within my earshot. Purposely.

Oh, well. At least they get entertained. GERTERH KERCH ERM ERR!

Parents did too initially, but then I managed to convince them that this is not a game wherein you randomize all your shit and get 9001!!111oneone!!eleven!! pointz.

But whatever. I have gotten better at the fine art of Not Giving A Damn. If I'm having legit fun, not doing drugs or killing people or whatever, they don't have a right to interfere, do they?
    Dont wory that's just high school for you, people will always find something to hassle you about no matter what you do! A lot of the people on these forums are over 18 (I'm 24) so there's nothing childish about liking Pokemon! Once you're out of high school no one will care about what you're into :P

Quite a lot of my friends are into Pokemon and they ones who aren't always reminisce about when they did like it if I talk to them!
    Last edited by Dragonite Postal Service; 16th October 2012 at 08:51 PM.

The Fire type Expert Lunar Aura's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think I've ever been judged before and oddly that makes me a little upset. I've been into Pokemon for 9 years and I have yet to be badly judged. Oh well I guess it's not a big deal anyways, I don't really talk about my interests with someone unless we have the same thing in common or I'm asked about it.
    Totally not into ponies...or am I?

Ask me anything about fire type pokemon. I can assure you I know the answer.

Supreme Vulpix, Zorua, and Reshiram Lover.

Visit wc662's Youtube Channel

Nobody really cares or says anything, everybody pretty much knows I'm mental and will do as I please so I'm never questioned on anything I do, lol
    INSANITY ISN'T JUST ACCEPTABLE - IT'S THE NORM

Nemo me impune lacessit Dialgarules's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No. I play it at lunch at school (high school) sometimes, and the worst I get is one of my friends telling me that it's a stupid game. But he thinks that pretty much every popular game is stupid, including League of Legends, Skyrim, Zelda, etc. and only plays Starcraft.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

Most of my friends/family either embrace the idea, or just don't care. Several of my friends are about my age and still love Pokemon.

Registered User Phoenix Eternal's Avatar

No, not really. A couple of people have asked why I like it but nothing other than that. I know quite a few people who like pokemon, I even talked about pokemon shoes for an hour with one of these friends.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

My sister (dubbed Chaos) constantly judges me just for playing Pokemon White!

meh a bit.........
    not much
    :P
    WHITE 2: 2624-0822-5515
    I' lov'in this sig ^.^

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Some of my friends rib me for it, but then they're into some equally childish things so the intent isn't malicious or anything.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast