Do you enjoy the franchise a lot more now that you're older? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you enjoy the franchise a lot more now that you're older?

Default Re: Do you enjoy the franchise a lot more now that you're older?

No. Definitely not. It was much more enjoyable when I was younger.
    I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!

Claims: Pyroar and Overheat

I suppose I do.

When I was younger, about 12 years ago now, the games were fun and entertaining, but I was never really committed to understanding the more advanced intricacies of battling. Then came the great hiatus for years and years when I never really gave another thought to Pokemon. Now I'm back into it, this time with a whole lot more appreciation for the more intricate aspects, for advanced battling and the like.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I enjoy the games a lot more, the cartoon a lot less.

I originally fell in love with the cartoon and then found out about the games, it felt so cool that I could be Ash and go on my own Pokemon journey, and pick one of the 3 starters and I could make choices in the game etc. When I realised it wasn't exactly like the cartoon I was disappointed, but still enjoyed them and carried on playing, but my main focus was the anime.

Then in AG, when Misty left and May and Max took over the anime bombed in my opinion, it was painful to watch and so the games became my main focus.
    With the release of FRLG, I was back to the good old days, the nostalgia hit me, and I was about 11 now so mature enough to actually form a decent team rather than just whatever ones I caught first, and actually spread out moves rather than just the most popular four I could find.

This enhanced understanding of the game made it a lot more enjoyable and kept me in the franchise, I kept trying to dip back into the AG series but May and Max and the voice over changes were a major turn off.

Then about halfway through DP series I started watching, and actually quite enjoyed it, so went back to the start of DP and watched them all in bulk until I'd caught up with the American releases. I still watch the anime to this day, although I do miss a few fillers but I still much prefer the games.

I meddled with the TCG a bit back in the time of the Original Series, before Gold and Silver, but it never really took off, have never paid any attention to the Manga.

Minion of the Damned cityvillain's Avatar

I would say the most fun I had in the series was my first experiences with the Generation I and II games. Everything was so new to me. There wasn't an internet that I could go to and visit community sites like this. I found out almost all of the things by myself and that was the most satisfying and most precious moment I had with this game. I wouldn't say, I'm slowly losing interest or not experiencing great fun as the franchise progressed. It's just that since generation II, I never felt that same excitement and thrill that I had when I was younger.
    Kenta's Pokemon Party

Blog Entries

I appreciate this series now that I am older.

The main reason is that it is still going on, which means there is something that makes people want to come back for more. I don't recall there being a lot of game series lasting this long, especially one that is still productive in terms of games.

There are other things to appreciate as well. It didn't occur to me that competitive Pokemon battles were a thing. When I was younger, I thought that battles with other people would be pointless because items cannot be used, so people would use the strongest Pokemon and win. Then, I saw some Youtube videos when people play Pokemon Battle Revolution to do some cool battles, where one place mentioned Smogon (Overhazard). I did see some Diamond and Pearl battles mainly from Marriland, but those do not seem as exciting because of the incompatible mixture of Diamond and Pearl's battle speed and Blissey's HP. I would look at Smogon for years before finally stopping when I realise there is nothing for me.

Another thing is the On the Origin of Species, which showcases that Pokemon do have inspiring origins, such as Bronzor and Bronzong's mirror and bell tale (my first post here was in that thread that linked to the news). I used to think it's just imaginary creatures that are just designed for the sake of it. This is especially enlightening to know since in some areas I saw that Pokemon "ran out of ideas" for their designs. Nowadays you don't see people saying Pokemon "ran out of ideas", so I guess that phase is over.

I was surprised to also see that the anime ran this long. Over fifteen years of anime airing is pretty impressive if you ask me, since not many anime lasted this long. It's also surprising to see Pokemon mentioned in the Culture Shock book on Japan, so that means its popularity extends beyond the realms of video games.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Hoenn's Champ-to-be CountessDeLaRoca's Avatar
    Follow CountessDeLaRoca On Twitter Add CountessDeLaRoca on Facebook Add CountessDeLaRoca on Google+ Add CountessDeLaRoca on MySpace
    Add CountessDeLaRoca on Linkedin Follow CountessDeLaRoca on Tumblr Follow CountessDeLaRoca on Flickr Visit CountessDeLaRoca's Youtube Channel

Kinda, I guess, since I now understand the game more
    Favorite game characters: Chrom, Vaike, Nowi,Donnel, Maribelle, Mega Man X, Mega Man.EXE, Proto Man.EXE, Princess Pride, Geo, Omega-Xis, Ophiuca, Ace

Favorite show characters: Master Shake, ,Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza, Cell, Omega Shenron

Favorite voice actors: Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, Stephanie Nadolny, Melissa Fahn, Kyle Hebert, Eric Vale, Lex Lang, Clancy Brown, TeamFourStar, LittleKuriboh

3DS FC:4468-1383-6014
    IGN:Countess45

A E I Own You. PikachuColoredPichu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not as a total fanboy like I once was a few years ago, but I like playing the main games more than the side series.
    Official Claimer of Mii Fighter (Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U)
    3DS Code: 0860 - 3581 - 9005

Sadly no, I'm really close to giving up on the franchise altogether. I don't have the time to enjoy it as I do, and even then I just don't find it enjoyable. I don't like the direction it's headed and the fandom has also somewhat ruined it for me.

I hope the sun is shining tomorrow...
    That would be reason enough to smile.

Blog Entries

I enjoy gens 1 and 2 along with the 4kids dub of the show more than I did when I was a kid however I don't like gens 3-4 as much as I used to nor do I enjoy the cards as much.

I like it more now because I have figured out what works best for my relationship with the franchise: Stand back a few steps, don't buy every game. Then use map and pokemon data from Bulbagarden to write my fanfiction and be amused later at how it's completely different from the games.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I guess I do. While everyone still was crazy about Pokemon when I got into it, it's more enjoyable now. I have access to the internet and can do stuff like this on forums, arrange trades, collect rarities, and give myself some serious challenges like a Nuzlocke and enjoy it. A challenge is a lot more fun if you're very good at the normal game itself, imo. I appreciate the manga waaay more than I did when I was younger. Way back then, I didn't understand the concept of manga- the way it was read, how the pictures had no color, etc. Now, I can read through the original Pokemon Adventures and appreciate the darker themes, the clever battles, the right-to-left reading, and the remarkable artwork.
    Last edited by BlackOsprey; 12th July 2014 at 02:11 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3136-7234-1327
    Y: Black
    Alpha Sapphire: Terminus

Claimer of the Keyblade, the Wabbajack, Phoenix Down, Lucina, the Silver Bow, and Roxas.

Dost thou talketh to me? DynamoRox4Sure's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow DynamoRox4Sure On Twitter
    Follow DynamoRox4Sure on Tumblr Visit DynamoRox4Sure's Youtube Channel

I feel like I enjoy it as much as I did when I was a kid. As a kid, I enjoyed thinking about what I didn't know in the game, but now I just enjoy playing the game and seeing what's in it. Either way I don't believe my enjoyment of the series has changed at all.

Being random since 2004
    Destroying trolls since 2012
    3DS FC: 3179-6150-0900

Blog Entries

Follow Chibster on Tumblr Visit Chibster's Youtube Channel

I was really obsessed with Pokemon when I was younger, I almost feel bad for talking about Pokemon to everyone I knew. xD I'd say I do like it better, because I feel much more mature and I appreciate every effort everyone put into making Pokemon possible.
    It's me, kyogre545! 3DS FC: 1864-8930-3851
    Claims: Gin (GNG), Inuyasha, Edward Elric, Vash the Stampede, Makoto Tachibana, Kyogre, Drizzle, Blue Apricorn, Squirtle Doll,, Micaiah, Crimson Loftwing, Smiles and Tears, Peaceful Days
    FS: Metang Klefki Ferroseed
    Join my clubs! ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH, Swanna Fan Club, Sweets+Sugary things, W is for Wumbology, the Study of Wumbo!

Blog Entries
    Follow Felly On Twitter
    Follow Felly on Tumblr

I think I liked it more when I was younger, and then when I hit middle school/high school, I just sorta lost interest in it. But then I sorta gained a new appreciation for it after high school. I still like it now, but I think I liked it more when I was in elementary school, & I just sorta gained a more appreciative outlook towards it in my older years.

URPG Grader, Ranger, Official, & Referee
    URPG Stats || Petalburg Woods

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to go with both yes and no. On one hand, it's a lot easier to get immersed in a world like Pokemon when you're a kid, and you live in Fictionland near constantly. On the other hand, getting older and learning new things has allowed me to appreciate a lot of design choices and references in the series that may have lost me when I was younger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast