Do you consider Pokedex entries and info canon?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saiga

Thread: Do you consider Pokedex entries and info canon?

Blog Entries

Default Do you consider Pokedex entries and info canon?

I don't. Considering how weird some of them are. One example is magcargo has a base special attack of 80 yet it's body temperature is hotter than the surface of the sun if that was true how would anyone be alive. Garchomp flies at the speed of sound. Pidgeot flies at mach 2. But Garchomp speed stat is significantly higher. I heard someone used proportions to figure out onyx's volume and if the volume and weight are to be believed it is less dense then water. Some of them are really creepy. And for an anime example how can the infamous Charmander's death thing be true if they get's hit by water attacks all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Garchomp is adorable randomuniq's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow randomuniq On Twitter
    Follow randomuniq on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you consider Pokedex entries and info canon?

I would like to think what's said in Pokedex is canon, but you know, scientists (even in the real world!) can be wrong. So I kinda wouldn't trust the Pokedex. After all, you were sent with the Pokedex to learn more about the Pokemon, so apparently, the Professors don't know everything about Pokemon and so some entries might just be theories and non canon in a way!
    But I do love me some weird Pokedex entries (: "Darumaka's droppings are hot, so people used to put them in their clothes to keep themselves warm." I mean seriously, wtf.

I hear it's never too late if you really stick to the program!

Only the ones are aren't contradicting which sadly, aren't many.

Blog Entries

I like to think of them as canon, because some of the Pokédex entries are really disturbing and creepy and that makes the Pokémon even more awesome to me. :3

Blog Entries

Here's another one weird one:
    Snubbull.
    It has an active, playful nature. Many women like to frolic with it because of its affectionate nature. Wait, what?
    So i see your point so kinda I guess...

i think they are all true but u never see these facts in game because the programmers would probably have make all sorts of new effects and stuff seriously why would they lie.
    But no one can deny those ghost type entries

Blog Entries

I consider the anime the most accurate representation of the Pokemon World. Most of the entries in the games are very inconsistent with the anime, so I'd say they are definitely not canon.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

Follow Gigatron On Twitter

I don't take them at 100% face value (Magcargo's being hotter than the surface of the sun I take as hyperbole) but I do think there's an element of truth to them. The way I see it, Pokémon's behaviour in-game is at the complete mercy of game mechanics, so whilst Pidgeot may have been originally stated to fly at Mach 2 during the time of Gen I, the game designers really shouldn't be expected to say "Well, we wanted to make Garchomp a very fast Pokémon, but since Pidgeot flies at Mach 2, we'll have to nerf his speed stat".

The way I imagine the Pokémon world "in real life" is as a healthy balance between the anime (which itself is not perfect) and games. That is, in the games Pokémon are required to behave according to rigid game mechanics for the sake of gameplay, but the Pokédex entries give a glimpse into what that Pokémon is "actually" like. So thus in the games Gengar happily eats berries and poffins because all other Pokémon do, and Wailord and Skitty can make beautiful children together because of their egg group. But, in the "real world" Gengar eats people's dreams and HWOSA exists only in the minds of the strangest perverts.

So I reckon that the Pokédex entries are a fun way for us to see just what insane stuff these creatures are capable of, that we can't always see because of the game's inherent rules to make it a functioning game. To me it only serves to make Pokémon that much more interesting and mysterious, because it makes me wonder "damn, these monsters are cool, but I'm only seeing a fraction of what the Dex tells you, imagine what these guys would really be like!"

Blog Entries

It didn't actually say hotter than sun they gave a number and did not do the research
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Master of all balls. Pocket Ace's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with @Gigatron, I think that the "real world" is some healthy in-between of the anime and the games. What you're looking for is Gameplay and Story Segregation. They can't completely accurately depict how the creatures are like while still making it a video game.

Anyways, aren't the Pokedex entries written by like 11/15 year old kids? I do believe there's some truth to the Pokedex entries but they're overly exaggerated. Magcargo might be hot, Pidgeot might fly fast, Gengar MAY consume dreams (I wouldn't even know how that works...) but not to the extent the 'dex entries describe.

And I saw someone post something on SPPf a while back, some of the 'dex entries (like Ninetales living 1000 years) might just be urban myths. Akin to elephants remembering everything and cats having 9 lives, in our world.

Credits to @Power of Aura :D

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I don't believe them 100% because pokemon is still being researched by the in-game profs/scientists and most of the entries are just 'theories'

Yes, I believe that they are 100% true.

All of them.
    Pocket Ace likes this.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think they are just supposed to be flavour text, the compile legends and unsourced stories in the pokemon world and attributed to the pokemon to provide further information on them, such as numerous references to China.
    maglev is invisible