Do Psychic-types use their brain as the source of their power, or demons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Do Psychic-types use their brain as the source of their power, or demons?

Default Do Psychic-types use their brain as the source of their power, or demons?

I eMailed Pokémon.com this same question, and they said it was up to the interpretation of the fans. I'm not sure how to interpret it. Most Psychic-types are portrayed as intelligent (and many non-Psychic-type intelligent Pokémon generally learn a lot of Psychic-type moves, such as Noctowl), so that would point to them utilizing brain power. They also have a type advantage over Poison (mind over matter) and Fighting (brain over brawn), and a type disadvantage to types typically regarded as common fears such as the Bug and Dark-types, which once again would indicate the type's usage of their mind. However, Psychic-type trainers are shown levitating Pokéballs and doing various other unnatural feats that would obviously require the use of demonic assistance (just some examples being Psychic Sayid and Psychic Robert on Kalos route 10), so that could also mean that their Pokémon do the same. After hours of intensive and extensive research, I have yet to come to a conclusive decision regarding whether or not Psychic-types use their own brain, or receive demonic assistance. What do you think?

Please keep the subject on Pokémon. Also cite your sources of information if possible, but if not that's fine too.
    Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default Re: Do Psychic-types use their brain as the source of their power, or demons?

They're psychics, not summoners. They all obviously use their brains. If demons even exist in the Pokémon world, it'll be in the form of demon-like Pokémon. Literal demons would be way too scary for the little kiddies.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Default Re: Do Psychic-types use their brain as the source of their power, or demons?

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    If demons even exist in the Pokémon world, it'll be in the form of demon-like Pokémon. Literal demons would be way too scary for the little kiddies.
    Apparently not, Ghost-types exist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Austin HM02 View Post
    Ghost-type Pokémon aren't literal demons; I'm not even sure they're ghosts. Probably just some sort of gaseous or extradimensional life form with spooky legends attached.

Blog Entries

The very definition of Psychic is to have special brain powers. They clearly use their brains.
    URPG Floaroma Gym Leader!

Blog Entries

Psychic-type trainers are shown levitating Pokéballs and doing various other unnatural feats that would obviously require the use of demonic assistance
    The name implies that they're psychics. They use their psychic powers.

Unless you consider psychic powers as "demonic", than they don't use the help of demons.
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest

team black

Blog Entries

Does Alakazam use demonic power for its attacks? I don't think so.

Does Gengar use demonic power for its attacks? Possibly.

Does Houndoom use demonic power for its attacks? It seems likely to me.

I'm thinking that even though there are some similar abilities here, psychic types don't summon demons for their power, dark types probably do, and ghost types could go either way, maybe with some on each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpi View Post

I'm thinking that even though there are some similar abilities here, psychic types don't summon demons for their power, dark types probably do
    "Dark" has many definitions, some including "threatening", "characterized by tragedy", "mysterious", and "gloomily pessimistic". Through my research, I have noticed the common theme between Dark-types to be generally (but not always) portrayed as "threatening" and mysterious. But that's just my research.

While having natural powers and abilities relating to the mind is not demonic, we know that humans can't levitate Pokéballs, so they would have to utilize demonic forces in order to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Ghost-type Pokémon aren't literal demons; I'm not even sure they're ghosts. Probably just some sort of gaseous or extradimensional life form with spooky legends attached.
    They're ghosts. That's why they're called Ghost-types, and not Gaseous-type or Extradimensional-type.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 3rd April 2014 at 08:20 PM.

Blog Entries

They're ghosts. That's why they're called Ghost-types, and not Gaseous-type or Extradimensional-type.
    That being said, still not demons.

Definitely an "F" ticket! Shiny Porygon's Avatar

TC seems to be already convinced that demonic powers are the source, having 1) reduced the possibilities to either brain or demons, nothing else and 2) determined that brains can't be the source, again for no real reason. Nevertheless, I'll try and make this a more open discussion by suggesting other reasons.

1. Pokéballs can levitate by virtue of their advanced technology. They have already been seen (in the games) moving erratically - shooting straight up in old Baton Pass animations, etc.

2. Those aren't actually Pokéballs, but props. Psychic Sambala in BW purports to go to magic classes to look like a Psychic, and a trick prop would lend itself to that.

3. They aren't actually humans. TC assumes their feats are impossible to humans, but what if they aren't? Characters Dive with seemingly no need to breathe, stand around without doing anything, and so on.

4. External forces are to blame, but not demons. Microscopic organisms can cause bizarre phenomena in real life. Plausibly the Pokémon world has organisms like Pokérus that perform feats of strength by sheer numbers - something like midi-chlorians in Star Wars. Alternatively, technology is advanced such that microscopic bots exist.

I think some dark Pokemon might be demons. Nyuura is a demon. Pokemon with psychic powers use their brains, so I don't think they are demons or use help from them. Maybe they emit some kind of waves to affect their environment. I don't know how telekinesis works. Of those using something like supernatural powers, Psychic Pokemon are the most scientific. That is, their powers should be able to be explained scientifically rather than as magic.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

I think psychic type attacks are associated with the brain. Sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly.

Confusion, I think, involving reaching into the opponent's mind and 'messing it up', to induce headaches, nausea, dizziness, etc. Psybeam probably does something similar, except it's transmitted in the form of a beam, rather than just attempting to directly tamper with someone's mind, which allows it to be focussed more easily, allowing it to harm a single target more.

Psychic and psyshock are a little different, I think. I've always imagined psychic as simply blasting the other pokemon telekinetically. Like, slamming them with an invisible force. I'm not describing it that well, but you get what I'm on about. Hopefully. Moving on, I've always imagined psyshock as involving lifting up nearby objects with telekinesis, and then throwing them at the enemy. You're using your telekinetic force to throw the objects, but they hit them physically, which is why it uses physical defence.

Hmm, well that's how I think they work. That's how I write them, anyway. It works for me.
    Signed, Lord Kyuubi

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Either/or, really. Depending on the Pokemon, the power could be mental in nature (Alakazam, Mr. Mime, Meowstic) or supernatural in nature (Claydol, Bronzong, Sigilyph).

Blog Entries

Supernatural does not, however, automatically mean demons. Why shouldn't humans be able to levitate Poké Balls or do other telekinetic tricks under their own power? Just because we haven't figured out how to do it yet doesn't make it impossible.

The word "demon" just has far too many negative connotations to have any place in the Pokémon universe, because enlisting their assistance would label too many good or neutral characters as nothing short of pure evil in the eyes of too many people. I seriously doubt that's what Game Freak wants.

Le Choléra Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

Yeah... "demon" seems more close to some Dark or Ghost types than Psychics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast