Are Dark-types supposed to be evil? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

Default Re: Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

I always thought that Dark-types invoked fear in others and hence why they are good against Psychics; because they're too frightened to mentally concentrate. Although I'm not sure if that makes them "evil" or not.

Blog Entries

I don't see them as evil. They draw their power from the night and the moon (hence the appellation "Dark type").

Yeah they're scary but they could be heroic or evil.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Yes, they are. That's why their name is literally "evil type" in Japanese. I think Darkrai best embodies this, because although it is seen as evil for his power to give people horrible nightmare comas, it's a power it can't really control (at least, in game), which is really the most fundamental aspect of evil--misunderstanding.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Nope, they can't be evil on their own. Remember that everyting is usually up to the trainer.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gengarzilla View Post
    Nope, they can't be evil on their own. Remember that everyting is usually up to the trainer.
    According to the anime.

Follow KrystalDragon13 on Tumblr Visit KrystalDragon13's Youtube Channel

Nah, I don't think so. They're ment to be a bit spine chilling though (I think). Not evil though.

I claimed Nidorino in the 'Claim a Pokemon' thread!

Serenity is key
    Blog Entries

Some of them definitely are, but not all. "Dark" isn't exactly "evil", more like "shadowy". Misunderstood, I suppose.
    Crack some heads for me, darlings. Thank you, and good night.

Blog Entries
    Add Windfall on Facebook

@Gengarzilla; Dark types can't be evil on their own? I call BS.

Some Pokedex examples of why Dark types ARE evil.

Hydreigon: "The heads on their arms do not have brains. They use all three heads to consume and destroy everything."

Sneasel: "It is extremely vicious and will not stop attacking until its foe is incapable of moving."

Darkrai: "Folklore has it that on moonless nights, this Pokémon will make people see horrific nightmares."

Even if Darkrai only uses Nightmares to protect itself, that's still something many people would consider "evil" if it happened to them.
    Green Zubat likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Greece on Google+

But they're just considered evil by their victim, it may just be their behavior

/Dark type trainer will defend her favorite type

Blog Entries

I still maintain my stance that Dark types aren't evil, simply misunderstood. Maybe Crawdaunt just wants its privacy? Or Sneasel beats things up because that way there's no chance of them attacking back (a real-world trait, I believe)? Darkrai and Umbreon use nightmares/fear to keep people and other Pokemon away. It's a simple self-defense tactic. And Hydreigon was intended to be a cyborg tank that went insane and began to rampage all over the place. That's insanity, not evil intentions. Mightyena travel in packs, making them like hyenas. Hyenas just have a crazy laugh, nothing more. Shiftry just makes things fall asleep, to keep them from getting to their young. Not evil, simply misunderstood.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Blog Entries
    Add Windfall on Facebook

Wanting privacy is not a good reason to kick other Pokemon out of their home
    Just because Hydreigon is "insane" doesn't make it any less evil, honestly.
    It doesn't say Sneasel's attacker, it says foe. Sounds to me like Sneasel picks fights and beats them to death because it wants to.
    Tyranitars tear down entire mountains just to build its home. And again, knocking Pokemon out of their home.

You can justify their actions all you want. Still doesn't make them not evil

Blog Entries

It depends on the species, and the individual Pokémon. Some species are obviously evil, like Spiritomb, whereas some are pragmatic evil, like Honckrow, Murkrow, Cacturne and so on. Some factions are simply neutral, like Houndoom, Shifrty-line Darkrai and Umbreon, whereas some factions like Absol are downright heroic. Whereas some parts are simply vicious carnivores, like Krookodile-line and Hydreigon-line and so forth, some are just ill-tempered, like Cradaunt and Drapion. Some are just mischeavious, like Sableye. They can all be considered evil in a broad term, as they all use underhanded tactics(like Sucker Punch, Faint Attack); vicous tactics(Beat Up, Pursuit), pragmatic or selfish evil(Thief, ability Pickpocket) or some tactics that literally uses evil emotions(Dark Pulse which is powered up by evil thoughts, and it's anthithesis Nasty Plot which powers up Pokémon with filling it's head with such thoughts in the first place. Payback and Punishment can also count, as it is revenge, the most worthless of all causes). They all carry very broad evil tendencies(except Absol, Darkrai, Houndoom and Umbreon), a good chunck of them are overconfident(hence why most of them get Moxie), a large chunck of them consumes more than they need(Sharpedo-line, Hydreigon-line), most of them care about their individual or family gain, rather than needs of others(various territorial ones), some of them have very, very strict pecking order(Bisharp-line, Zoroark-line, Weavile-line), and even the mischeavous ones, like Sableye, despite not meaning major harm, does whatever it does to cause annoyance, which is of course evil, but in a very minor sense. Even the more neutral parts aren't exactly heroic; Umbreon and Houndoom are also vicious carnivores who use unsavory tactics, and they stay loyal to their owners regardless of their moral stance; Shiftry specifically uses it's wicked appearance to protect its' terriority and it's underlings, which it finds above its' own survival; Darkrai eats dreams which he turns into nightmares whether he likes it or not; and Absol have tendency go knights templar especially if the situation is very important.

But ultimately, yes, they are supposed to be evil. Just generally in a petty, temperamental, misunderstood(and/or misunderstanding) or pragmatic way.
    Green Zubat likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Visit Mand"alor te Siit's Youtube Channel

I think the first requirement for "evil" is acting with intelligence. A creature that is only following its nature isn't evil, no matter how intelligent it is in general. So a Darkrai that wanders at random and happens to cause nightmares isn't evil, but one that actively searches for humans is. Crawdaunt is territorial, not evil. I think the only Pokemon that is always evil, with no exceptions, is Spiritomb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mand"alor te Siit View Post
    I think the first requirement for "evil" is acting with intelligence.
    I see the logic here: you can't be evil without the proper mental faculties to make a moral judgement. In short, you have to choose to do evil thing, and know you're making morally corrupt choices, to be evil.

The problem is that evil people are evil by nature. Sure, they may know they're choosing evil choices, but that doesn't mean they have free will per se - what they choose is predetermined by their warped cognitions. Likewise, our choices to be good people are predetermined by our better upbringings and life experiences. Morality isn't a choice, it's a sign of our psychological well-being. Evil people are really just mentally ill, in their own way, and to various degrees.

So you can't really choose to be evil or not, the judgement is based on your behaviour. And many Dark-type Pokémon naturally behave in an evil way (see the post by @Trainer Yusuf ; above).
    Owain likes this.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think Dark types are supposed to be basically dirty fighters. Instead of fighting gracefully, they'll sucker punch or resort to thievery to gain an advantage in battle.
    maglev is invisible

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast