Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Default Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

It is said to be based on one of the biggest fears - fear of the dark. But... do they draw their power from 'darkness' ? Or does 'dark' have something to do with 'evil' ?

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Are Dark-types supposed to be evil?

Don't listen to her Umbreon, you are not evil, you are a floofy, glowing pile of love and squee <3

All jokes aside, no, Dark types aren't supposed to be evil. They are supposed to embody Darkness and what it means and how it is perceived. At first, we are afraid of it because of the unknown, it messes with our minds and makes us scared and powerless, thus why they are superior to psychic types. However, if we face our fears and confront them, we will find that there is truly nothing to be afraid of, which is why fighting is superior to dark types. At least, that's how I see it and how it makes sense to me. Otherwise, the only reason they were introduced is to overpower psychic types and give fighting pokemon a chance.

Some dark types do look sinister though. I`m looking at you, Zoroark and Darkrai.

Blog Entries

Visit Kira Akigari's Youtube Channel

yes they are

I don't care whatever the game says, Darkrai isn't evil, lol.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Just because they're called "dark" types does not mean they are the "evil" type, dark is not evil, just look at Batman for instance, he's called the "Dark Knight", but he's not evil at all.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

well they might be because in japanese I think the Dark type is called the evil type. but as mention above, some Dark type Pokémon aren't necessarily evil

Well, though they are the evil type, I don't think that means they are actually evil. I think it's suppose to mean they are more in touch with evil, they understand it better then others do, but that doesn't mean they have to be evil or that they are naturally evil. Like what is often said in the anime, Pokemon aren't naturally evil, they are only evil if around evil people I think the same goes for dark types.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Like what is often said in the anime, Pokemon aren't naturally evil, they are only evil if around evil people I think the same goes for dark types.
    Actually, I think that concept was retconned. There have been cases in the anime where Pokémon do bad things depsite not having bad trainers or even being around people. For example, the con-artist Teddiursa. There were others as well, but they don't come to mind.

But anyway, I do think it's on a case-by-case basis. Some Dark-types are bad (although I wouldn;t call them pure "evil"), some aren't. Same with any other type, some are bad and some aren't. Dark-types do sometimes have an "evil" look to them (e.g. Houndour / Houndoom look like devils), but typically I think that they are just supposed to represent the darkness in general.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Eh, I wouldn't say so. As someone said already, the Dark type is called the Evil type in Japanese, but that doesn't exactly mean all Dark type are evil.

ORAS revealed and no 3DS Kynn Master's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kynn Master On Twitter Add Kynn Master on Facebook

Judging by their moves they're not actually evil, just mischievous, a good example is the move Fake Tears.
    Love Is Love No Matter Who You Find It In.
    ♂ + ♂ = ♥
    ♀ + ♀ = ♥
    ♀ + ♂ = ♥

At a point in the anime Darkrai is shown to have an innocent side as well.

Blog Entries

Nope. The dark types have that appearance of evil. But maybe inside they are nice Pokemon who just wants to be your friend. For example: Umbreon and Zoroark, well they don't have that look but they're probably nice.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

They're not evil-evil; they're only mischevous evil. The moves associated with the type reflects dirty tactics. Scrafty, for example, is based off of a ghetto civilian living in the suburbs, who go into dirty street fights with their own kind and steal stuff from a small business store. This isn't the power of supreme darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Actually, I think that concept was retconned. There have been cases in the anime where Pokémon do bad things depsite not having bad trainers or even being around people. For example, the con-artist Teddiursa. There were others as well, but they don't come to mind.
    Well, I don't think Pokemon constantly have to be around evil people to remain evil. It helps but it's not necessary. I think it's really just the influence of bad behavior. I mean, evil isn't like some sort of medicine that stops working if you stop taking it.
    It is possible that Pokemon like Teddiursa, and the like were around bad people so they learned bad behaviors.

Also, according to PMD, Pokemon also may become evil if something bad is or is going to happen to their environment, so there's that.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Quote Originally Posted by ProngedDread837 View Post
    I don't care whatever the game says, Darkrai isn't evil, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    At a point in the anime Darkrai is shown to have an innocent side as well.
    I've always thought that most Darkrais were evil, and that the Alamos Town Darkrai is an exception. I would say that most Dark-types aren't evil, especially not Absol. But most Darkrais are.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast