Cubone and Marowak
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubone and Marowak

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Default Cubone and Marowak

Most of us wonder what Cubone's head looks like under what is supposed to be its mother's skull. However, what's rather interesting to me is that no one knows. They apparently (if what the Pokédex says is true) aren't born with them, and it would probably take a while for the baby to get the skull off the mother. That is, unless she dies immediately after she lays the egg (if they would lay eggs in real life) and thus decomposes enough to allow easy removal, but why would the baby take a skull with rotting flesh in and around it, (maybe clean it and) wear it, and take a large bone as a weapon anyway? Each species to their own, I guess....
    Why hasn't anyone bred a Cubone or Marowak and looked at/photographed/videotaped the resulting baby when it hatched? Do most or all Cubone and Marowak mothers really die after the birth/laying? How do you think the tradition (I guess one could call it that) of Cubone wearing their mothers' skulls started?

I don't doubt the existence of a Marowak graveyard, but I don't quite believe that most/all Marowak (and perhaps Cubone) migrate there to get bones. Perhaps it's only the wild ones, and there is more than one Marowak graveyard. Which leaves a question: what of captive bred Cubone? Where would they get their bones from? Do people produce artificial "bones" and/or get bones from other Pokémon and animals? Do they also take from the Marowak graveyard(s)? Maybe the trainers have grown to accept the fact that their beloved Cubone/Marowak is designed to die after birth/egg-laying, let the body rot (where? In the Pokéball? In a close-by Pokémon or Marowak graveyard?), and let the baby take the skull and a bone of its choice.

And the bone weapon. I don't think it would return like a boomerang. Because of that, it would be a rather difficult thing to rely on if it missed the opponent. The Pokédex says that Marowak's bone came from another Marowak, but it's obviously much larger than any long bone in its body. Unless it came from a giant Marowak, it must have come from another creature. Cubone's more likely did come from a Marowak, though.

Other discussion welcome.

Inspired by this thread. On page two is someone's chibi manga rendition of an overskull-less Cubone. It looks like Charmander.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And here's the picture, just in case you all want to see it. Sorry it wasn't a better one, but this was the only one I could find.

It looks and feels like something out of 4koma.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, it obviously is a 4Koma. Sadly I just cleaned my room which means that the comic it came from went back to my closet, so I'd have to go search for it again if further reference was wished.

From a simple mathematical point of view, the bit about "its mother's skull" is, if not outright false, at least not generally true. Proof: If it were true, the Cubone/Marowak population over time would be strictly decreasing, cut in half every generation (assuming a 50/50 male/female ratio). This would lead to guaranteed extinction within a few centuries at most.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Unless they lay twin, male/female paired eggs, it would have to be the case. Even so, you'd need two "mother's skulls"... though this one isn't too hard - since the mother has one outside and inside (assuming that they really do wear the skulls).

Perhaps the skull is not it's mother's skull, but it's own? That is to say, an exoskeleton? Hmm.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I think the "mother skull" bit is best considered folklore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

i dont care much about what cubone looks like. what i wanna know is what cloyster really is
    you can find me here or serebii

member of the misty fan club

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Then make a thread about cloyster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

From a simple mathematical point of view, the bit about "its mother's skull" is, if not outright false, at least not generally true. Proof: If it were true, the Cubone/Marowak population over time would be strictly decreasing, cut in half every generation (assuming a 50/50 male/female ratio). This would lead to guaranteed extinction within a few centuries at most.
    You forget Pokemon can breed outside their species. A population of female Cubone reproducing via breeding with males outside their species would consistantly produce an equal number of offspring.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Quite right. Though that leaves no room for males.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta
    You forget Pokemon can breed outside their species. A population of female Cubone reproducing via breeding with males outside their species would consistantly produce an equal number of offspring.
    Even that results in a strictly nonincreasing population, which decreases if there are any females that, for any reason, do not reproduce. It's not a recipe for rapid extinction like my model suggested, but it's still a recipe for guaranteed extinction eventually. I have to agree with Damian that this, like many of the other game Pokedex entries, is folklore, not fact.
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

I would think that, practically speaking, Cubone and Marowak would have the instinct and senses to be able to detect marrow and bone deposits of any creature, dig them up, and fashion weapons and armor out of them regardless of the species of the original owner. And thus you'd have Cubone wearing Arcanine and Raichu skulls and such. The fact that we've only seen Cubone with one type of skull is doubtless that it would be too much work to depict each Cubone with a totally random Pokemon carcass on it's cranium. I doubt that the bones are exo-skeletons, if only because they're detatchable. It's a tad more logical to assume that they fashion items out of any bone they find, rather than of their own species exclusively. A lot more practical as well.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Indeed, though it would be a nice touch if they showed Cubone wearing different skulls and using different bones. (Pikachu: *backs away slowly, freaked out* "Pii~" Brock: "Ah, that must be a Raichu skull!") We have so far only seen Marowak using what appears to be a tibia, and Cubone's is usually portrayed as an odd one that narrows down and is apparently broken off to form a point, perhaps a femur. (Don't take my word for it, I'm not an anatomist, and pretty much only have this Cyclopedia Anatomicae to work with.) We haven't seen, say, a scapula shield, or use of the/a sharpened end(s) of a long bone, or even use of more than one nonskull bone. I guess that these would be a part of "real life" Pokéworld. Also, people would know many of the things that are said to be unknown in the Pokéworld, such as what an overskull-less Cubone, Diglett/Dugtrio's bodies, vineless Tangela, and shell-less Shellder/Cloyster really look like, and perhaps even how "Pokémon magic" works, to an extent.
    I knew there was something off with the "mother's skull" thing....

Wouldn't it take quite a bit of careful hammering to shape the skull in order to make it wearable? They would have to break the bottom of the braincase, the hard palate, and any other stuff that would make for a difficult or uncomfortable fit. I just find that interesting.

Now what are those large projections sticking out of Cubone's back? They could make it very difficult for a predator to grab it from behind, but what exactly are they?

As for an exoskeleton, what about Marowak? The skull one wears as a Cubone appears to fuse to its head when it evolves. If nails, scales, and hooves count as such, this (as a hard outer structure that provides protection and/or support) probably would, unless exoskeletons are so only if they grow out of the owner originally, whether it becomes part of their body or not. Also, what happens if a Cubone that isn't wearing a skull evolves? I wonder what it would look like....

Or maybe its like a growing up ritual, you know, you have to find a specific skull and when you do you are considered grown-up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast