Cubone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubone

That creepy feeling... Typhlosion In Repose's Avatar

Default Cubone

There are tons and tons of pokemon, but none creep me out so much as cubone. I find it very strange how its pokedex changes.

R/B: Because it never removes its skull helmet, no one has seen its true face.

Y:Wears the skull of its deceased mother. Its cries echo inside the scull and come out as a sad melody.

Crystal: It lost its mother after birth. It wears its mother's skull, never revealing its true face.

R/S: Cubone pines for the mother it will never see again. Seeing a likeness of its mother in the full moon, it cries. The stains on the skull the pokemon wears are made by the tears it sheds.

Its original entry says nothing about the skull belonging to its deceased mother. I believe that gamefreak added that in yellow due to the fact that Team rocket killed Marowak.

Marowak is another story. In the story, it is the mother of a cubone. The cubone was obviously with its mother for a while before she got killed. The crystal pokedex says that it lost it's mother after birth. Does it not wait for its mother to decompose to get the skull? Does it get the skull that has been passed down through generations? A male cubone would break such a chain, as it will never give its skull.

The skull cubone wears looks nothing like marowak's head. That is assuming that marowak is too wearing a skull, and that the bone substance on it's head is not skin. If it is a skull, some what of an exoskeleton, then that would not make sense, unless cubone takes its club to the skull before it wears it.

And why does it lose its mother after birth? Is there some genetic flaw in the cubone family that causes the mother to die at birth?

The bone that cubone and marowak hold seem to come from a marowak graveyard eluded to in the silver and crystal entries for said pokemon.

I don't know. Cubone is a very strange pokemon. Any comments?
    And as I sit and talk to you,
    I see your face grow white.
    The shadow hanging over me is no trick of the light.
    The specter on my back will soon be free.
    The dead have come to claim a debt from thee.

Emerald - It pines for the mother it will never see again. Seeing a likeness of its mother in the full moon, it cries. The stains on the skull it wears are from its tears.

FR - It wears the skull of its dead mother on its head. When it becomes lonesome, it is said to cry loudly.

LG - Because it never removes its skull helmet, no one has ever seen this Pok&#233;mon's real face.

D/P - When it thinks of its dead mother, it cries. Its crying makes the skull it wears rattle hollowly.

---

Maybe the "mother" refers to a clan leader, or matriarch? There could be more than one in each Cubone/Marowak tribe and the skulls of these gets passed down generation to generation of the groups. And when it evolves the skull somehow molds into their head? And yet they get simultaneously replaced in the nick of time for the next newborns?

Really, no clue what I'm saying.

But yeah, Cubone's entries are just masses of tragedy.

Blog Entries

Lawlz. Cubone is the Emo Kid of the Pokemon world.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhlosion In Repose View Post
    The skull cubone wears looks nothing like marowak's head. That is assuming that marowak is too wearing a skull, and that the bone substance on it's head is not skin. If it is a skull, some what of an exoskeleton, then that would not make sense, unless cubone takes its club to the skull before it wears it.

If the thing on Marowak's head is a helmet, then we don't actually know what a Marowak's real skull looks like.

It's a shame that none of the Pokédex entries actually explain whether it's Marowak's head, a helmet or whatever.

But yeah, Cubone's story is definately one of the saddest sub-plots in any of the games. It doesn't really creep me out, I just feel sorry for it.

That creepy feeling... Typhlosion In Repose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euan View Post
    If the thing on Marowak's head is a helmet, then we don't actually know what a Marowak's real skull looks like.

It's a shame that none of the Pokédex entries actually explain whether it's Marowak's head, a helmet or whatever.

But yeah, Cubone's story is definately one of the saddest sub-plots in any of the games. It doesn't really creep me out, I just feel sorry for it.
    The fact that it wears its mother's skull doesn't creep you out?
    And as I sit and talk to you,
    I see your face grow white.
    The shadow hanging over me is no trick of the light.
    The specter on my back will soon be free.
    The dead have come to claim a debt from thee.

Oh wow, Generation V. Gandavien's Avatar
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

It never says in any Pokedex entry that the skull is part of the mothers body. The skull could just be an heirloom or something that belonged to the mother, which she passed down to the Cubone before she died.

And the Cubone, in evolution, no longer wears the skull, and the evolved Marowak's head is the colour of the skull that it wore as a cubone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandavien View Post
    It never says in any Pokedex entry that the skull is part of the mothers body. The skull could just be an heirloom or something that belonged to the mother, which she passed down to the Cubone before she died.
    Marowak's Pokedex entries do not make any reference to it wearing a skull helmet, so I think it's safe to assume that that's not the case. (The entries do make note of it using bones as a weapon, but not as armor.)

Quote Originally Posted by Typhlosion In Repose View Post
    The fact that it wears its mother's skull doesn't creep you out?
    Ok, perhaps a bit, but it doesn't seem that much different from cases of children who lose a parent wearing clothes that the parent owned and refusing to take them off.

Just a bit more to the extreme. Well, a lot more extreme.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Gandavien View Post
    That could be true, considering the Pok&#233;dex entries for Marowak seem to hint at them having a tribal, cavemanesque society, but I always assumed that "the skull of it's deceased mother" would be more likely to be the skull that the mother had inside her head when she was alive.
    Last edited by McClennan; 20th August 2007 at 09:51 AM.

Buuburn is my Homeslice.

I always considered the head of a Marowak to be the skull itself, fusing with it's own face almost, as we don't see the flesh underneath the eye holes like we do on a Cubone.
    It's safe to assume that the Cubone/Marowak/other pokemon (as previosuly stated, it's not clear whether it's actually the mother's actualy skull, rather a trophy) must be bigger than the Cubone itself to be worn as a helmet. Does anyone know of any pokemon who's head looks similar to the skull, bar Cubone?

Proud owner of a Legitimate Darkrai.
    24/08/2007
    ---
    Pokemon Pearl Friend Code
    "Holden"
    2663-9459-1419

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Does anyone know of any pokemon who's head looks similar to the skull, bar Cubone?
    Well, I looked at generation 1 pokémon (I'm assuming the skull isn't likely to belong to a newer pokémon, although that I could be wrong), and apart from Marowak, I thought the skull could've belonged to possibly a sandslash, tauros, charmeleon, nidorana/nidorino ninetales, kadabra or a ponyta, but it seems unlikely that a family of Cubone/Marowak could've come into contact with a few of those.

Nothing of interest here Perxio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Does anyone know of any pokemon who's head looks similar to the skull, bar Cubone?
    I thought I read somewhere that Cubone's skull helmet was pitched to be the skull of an Aerodactyl...the skull looks similar to the head of one at least, perhaps if the horns were longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vee2x_paradox View Post
    Emerald - It pines for the mother it will never see again. Seeing a likeness of its mother in the full moon, it cries. The stains on the skull it wears are from its tears.

FR - It wears the skull of its dead mother on its head. When it becomes lonesome, it is said to cry loudly.

LG - Because it never removes its skull helmet, no one has ever seen this Pokémon's real face.

D/P - When it thinks of its dead mother, it cries. Its crying makes the skull it wears rattle hollowly.

---

Maybe the "mother" refers to a clan leader, or matriarch? There could be more than one in each Cubone/Marowak tribe and the skulls of these gets passed down generation to generation of the groups. And when it evolves the skull somehow molds into their head? And yet they get simultaneously replaced in the nick of time for the next newborns?

Really, no clue what I'm saying.

But yeah, Cubone's entries are just masses of tragedy.
    I highly doubt that it was the skull of the previous matriarchs. Cubone would be an extinct species if it only gave birth according to the number of skulls they had.

I feel sick venusaur-carnivine-trap's Avatar

Talking What i think

Yeah i heard about the aerodactyl.
    Here is my idea.
    Along time ago Marowaks didn't have skulls. They found skulls of extinct Pokemon and wore 'em.They were passed on to their children for generations.They eventually fused on to their head. Now there genes make birth children take the mothers skull when they die,and allow hatched ones to create their own,Starting new lines of skulls.

And there it is!

P.S. what if one marowak had twins?

Nothing of interest here Perxio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by venusaur-carnivine-trap View Post
    P.S. what if one marowak had twins?
    I think the ghost of the mother Marowak in RB(Y?) had multiple offspring. I don't know what they'd do outside of something even more morbid, like the young committing siblicide and whatnot.

Blog Entries

I always just assumed that Cubone's head was a boney outgrowth, but now I believe it to be an exoskeleton. This would make perfect sense when Marowaks decompose, the exoskeletal head goes with it leaving it head less, and the exoskull on Cubone would be thought by many as the head of the deceased mother.

Upon evolution, the exoskull will fuse tightly with the head giving the newly evolved Marowak even more protection.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast