Consequences of Mega-evolving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Consequences of Mega-evolving?

Blog Entries

Default Consequences of Mega-evolving?

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been here. So, as of late I decided to look into Generation VI, and I read about Mega-Evolution. Now as people here might know, I know Pokemon via the anime, and I've never really played the games, so I'm more focused on the story.

And while reading the article on Mega-Evolution, I began to wonder if there would be consequences to doing it. I mean, Mega-evolving is using a special stone to evolve a Pokemon to an advanced, super-powerful form, but only for a brief period.

One of the differences between Pokemon, and say, Digimon is that in concept, Digimon are made of data, while Pokemon are supposed to be flesh and blood creatures. Digimon evolve to higher states and later revert all the time without problems, and you would think it wouldn't be a problem since they are made of data.

But what about a Pokemon? You're causing a biological organism to mutate rapidly into something else, and not like standard evolution. Standard evolution involves changes that are already coded into their DNA, and this change doesn't hold. It may be possible that constant use of Mega-Evolution could cause serious damage to a Pokemon's body, tearing at organs, damaging DNA, etc.

What do you all think?
    Stuntology likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Consequences of Mega-evolving?

There is some consquences in battle with Mega Evolutions.
    For example, Mega Gengar gets rid of its levitate and adapts another ability to not let the foe escape. Therefore, Gengar is more vulnerable to Ground Pokemon.

Also, when a Pokemon is holding a mega stone, you can let it hold any other item that could help it.
    I love cats and all things cute!
    With that said, let's all cheer for our favorite cat Pokemon!

X Friend Safari: Abra, Espurr, and Duosion

*Image not create by me.

Blog Entries

Interesting. That means that Gengar must become so heavy/dense that it can't lift itself from the ground. I wonder if it would have a negative impact on its ability to be intangible. But what do you think about the possibility that repeated Mega-evolution could hurt a Pokemon?

Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

You'd think it would be the same for other stone evolutions then if that where the case. I don't think it'll end up having any negative effects on the Pokemon but you never know, it could lower life span or something.

Blog Entries

No, I don't think stone evolutions would count, though stones themselves could cause serious damage. But I'll get to that. Let's take a basic example: Bulbasaur evolving into an Ivysaur when exposed to a Leaf Stone. The basic idea is that the radiation emitted by the Leaf Stone triggers the change when it is close enough to Bulbasaur. I once stated my theory on Pokemon and how they use genomic imprinting. The thread is in this section somewhere.

Baiscally, the genes that differentiate an Ivysaur body from a Bulbasaur body are already a part of a Bulbasaur's genome. Evolution merely reshuffles the things real DNA uses to block certain genes (epigenetic tags). And furthermore, the change is permanent. The changes triggered by the stone are supposed to happen with or without the stone. The stone merely speeds up the process. Now stones COULD cause a Pokemon, and even a human, serious health problems. I compare the way evolutionary stones work to how kryptonite works in DC comics. So it is possible that if a human is around an uncovered evolutionary stone for a long time, or a large sample, it could give them cancer. The same could be true for Pokemon exposed to stones their bodies aren't supposed to evolve with. (Therefore, keep them in lead)

Now compare Mega stones. The tranfsormation is a massive one, and is only temporary. The physical change doesn't hold. So you are causing a living being to seriously alter their body, and only for a short time. Now imagine what you are doing to them if you make them Mega evolve again and again. Size and mass are fluctuating, bones constantly changing, breaking and mending. Organs are possibly reshuffling. Blastoise's canons rehape themselves. That means the internal pipe structure for delivering water under high pressure is changing. Constantly making their body act like a rubber band could cause damage, or maybe destabilize their DNA.

Does that make sense?

Blog Entries

I believe it does. When you think about it, constant change can be life threatening. What about Mew and Ditto though. Do their organs shift as they change? If not, does this reason apply to mega stones as well?
    I love cats and all things cute!
    With that said, let's all cheer for our favorite cat Pokemon!

X Friend Safari: Abra, Espurr, and Duosion

*Image not create by me.

Blog Entries

Ditto and Mew are less likely, basically because of their Transform ability. In my headcanon, Mew is able to transform its body without seeming to have any problem with a rigid body. Ditto also has Transform, but it's body is adapted so that it has a mailable body, so a Megastone might not cause an issue, or have an effect on it (well, other than the radiation and possible radiation poisoning).

Living the Pokemon life. Jenneta's Avatar

Wow, I never thought of this, to be honest...You bring a good point, Reynard. I agree with you, I think it would cause some serious damage, if used constantly. Like Skittypaws said; "When you think about it, constant change can be life threatening.", and I'd think especially when the Pokemon isn't used to something like that at all..If that makes sense, lol. x3. This is an interesting subject... Glad you brought it up, Reynard. o3o.
    3DS Friend Code is: 5215-0992-6785 Friend Safari is Combee, Beautifly, and Venomoth.
    Used to be Dark Type Princess~, now Jenneta and going to keep it that way. :)

I wonder if Pokemon are looking more and more like Digimon. In, BW, your Pokemon transforms into pixels before it evolves, rather than being enshrouded in light. Ever since the first generation, however, Pokemon can be transferred (digitally?) throught he Pokemon Transfer System. I'm curious about Pokemon's relation to digital data. Can you transfer other stuff through the PTS?

Otherwise, Pokemon do perhaps have a very powerful DNA. They have other powerful abilities, like psychic powers, so they can perhaps not be compared to creatures on Earth.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

I hope they don't look more like Digimon. Not that I have any problem with Digimon, I don't. But if Pokemon starts to look like Digimon, someone could sue. And where exactly do Pokemon pixelate when they evolve? Do you mean the game or the related show? Normally I'd call that a stylized effect. And as far as the teleporter, I don't think the ability to be transported through it makes Pokemon more like data. I mean humans have used teleportation devices in fiction lots of times and that doesn't make them made of data. And it may be possible to teleport other things with that technology (not exactly that specific machine). Admittedly, one of Pokemon's weird points is the existence of this high technology without thinking through the consequences.

And while I agree that Pokemon are creatures with super powers and often have some amazing endurance, I don't think that invalidates all comparisons with how real animals/plants work. Pokemon still get sick and they still get hurt.
    Jenneta likes this.

Pokemon have always evolved in a glow, so you can't exactly see how they transform. But in BW and BW2, I remember the Pokemon went into small black pieces, then were put together into their new form. What those pieces really are, I cannot be sure. But it seems like a strange way to evolve. They break into atoms, then are put together again? Perhaps this is the way the teleport too. The glow may be just a collection of atoms in that case. In BW, they were just broken into pieces rather than forming a cloud or a glow. Although it did remind me of digital stuff rather than molecules.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

Again, I'd say they were trying to change up the evolution effect and perhaps their choice wasn't the best. Pokemon should not be made of data (with the exception of the Porygon line of course, but that is hardly ever seen because it was wrongly blamed for those seizures).

Blog Entries

That is indeed an interesting aspect but before going into Mega-evolution shouldn't we start with the ability to be captured and stay in Pokèballs this is an even more serious issue if you go into body reshaping and stuff. Just think about incredible big Pokemon like Wailord or most of the legendary, they are giants yet they fit into a small Pokèball. However, it is possible to digitalis DNA even in reality but it takes a ridiculous amount of space to do so, although this only can explain the Pokèball issue and the PC/trading with machines stuff. Maybe their DNA that allows to use all this move and stuff also allows free body change without damage but only Mew and Ditto can do that to such an extent.
    Pokémon lasts forever...

Fanfiction.net:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1962116/bladeofjudgement
    DeviantART: http://bladeofjudgement.deviantart.com/

After reading this I'm kinda scared to mega evolve my pokemon now... I never thought of it that way...

Maybe it won't cause long term effects because Ditto has just been getting into every pokemon's gene-pool so much that all the pokemon that can mega evolve are actually part ditto now...
    Official claimer of Shaymin and the Dream Ball~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast